i am confused about hdr

Associate
i have 1 monitor but i think im getting ripped off i payed £300 for my Lenovo its £250 now and no hdr i thought all 4k had hdr. yes im noob

samsung LU28R550UQUXEN it has
contrast ratio 1000:1
BRIGHTNESS 300nits
colour gamut dci coverage 0.9 i assume 90%
supports hdr10+
i read somewhere its 8bit
max colour support 1 billion .

but my other monitor is

Lenovo L28u-30
contrast ratio 1000:1
colour coverage is 99% sRGB, 90% DCI-P3
colour depth is 10 bit
colour support is 1.07 Billion
BRIGHTNESS 300 nits.

the Samsung has hdr10+ but the Lenovo has no hdr but more colours and 10 bit and srgb.
which is better soley for gaming?
both have 60 refresh rate

Soldato
You also got be careful with the way they market HDR monitors as some can be classed as HDR600 but they can only reach around 450 nits

Can you point at any? The specs for DisplayHDR600 require peak 600nits -- the number quoted on monitor pages is usually sustained brightness, so it can "seem" like they don't meet the criteria. Are you sure you're not looking at that :?

Soldato
Can you point at any? The specs for DisplayHDR600 require peak 600nits -- the number quoted on monitor pages is usually sustained brightness, so it can "seem" like they don't meet the criteria. Are you sure you're not looking at that :?
I can't remember which monitor review it was now..

I have to go through some the monitor reviews i been watching and see if i can found it..

Associate
OP
Why do you want such a small 4k? Does it have to be 28 inch? Does it have to be 4k? What's your use case? What's your budget?
ok i have looked through all of the monitors and they r 300 nits.
to buy 1000 nits is £1500..?
im just annoyed paying 300 for my Lenovo now its 270 now and 250 on website.
out of the Samsung and Lenovo is there a big difference between them?
Lenovo has 99%rgb and 10 bit colour depth

Samsung has 8.

Soldato
HDR is marketing scam for selling once again same old Liquid Crap Display with crap contrast and viewing angles compared to old CRT.
Needing welder's mask to avoid face burns brighness doesn't do anything to those problems.
OLED would simply crush LCD craps.

Anyway for gaming you'll want higher than 60Hz refresh rate or it's "old school" product on arrival.
Because LCD's aare always locked to that same max Hz, even if you lower resolution. (which gave more Hz in CRTs)

Associate
OP
yes i did have a 1440p 144hz samsung monitor 600 nit gaming monitor but i wanted 4k.
4k is still a huge difference. im going to look at some other monitors. i play on xbox 1 x.
i see tvs with hdr only do 215 nits?
thats the xpensive samsung tvs.
strange

Associate
yes i did have a 1440p 144hz samsung monitor 600 nit gaming monitor but i wanted 4k.
4k is still a huge difference. im going to look at some other monitors. i play on xbox 1 x.
i see tvs with hdr only do 215 nits?
thats the xpensive samsung tvs.
strange

If you only play XBox One (not Series X/S) then you don't need to care about Hz since it does 60fps max afaik, so ideally you do want 4k.

And as others have pointed out HDR is useless on these cheap monitors.

So in fairness unless you have a bigger budget go with your cheapest option. I had a 28'' 4k Samsung TN panel I bought for under 200 quid and it served me well

Associate
OP
i will be eventually upgrading to series x but 60hz is ok. i literally can't find any monitors 28inch or 27inch with 600 nits. give me a few links pls.

Caporegime
supports hdr10+ just means that it can accept a signal. It doesnt mean it looks any different.

Looking at those specs, its not going to show any difference either,.

Its like when HD in TVs first came out and you could buy "HD Ready" TVs that were only 720p. It was meaningless marketing drivel as the TV never could be a 1080p TV. It just meant it could handle a HD signal.

Associate
Don't confuse the brightness on the spec sheet with the hdr spec. A lot of HDR600 screens are only rated for a typical brightness of 400 cd/m². HDR600 is the minimum spec you want for an hdr monitor. It means a peak brightness (not typical brightness) of 600 and some form of local dimming.

Avoid anything that's rated for HDR400. It will look terrible. HDR600 is about as good as it gets without paying silly money.

Caporegime
HDR400 is basically just HDR ready isnt it? Its pretty meaningless. I have seen monitors that dont even have a hdr400 rating which look better doing HDR than those monitors.

Back
Top Bottom