A return to form: Say hello to Banana MK2, the Italian Prancing Horse (Ferrari 458 Italia)

OcUK Staff
OP
Just watched this:

Can't say I agree on interior quality but also saying that last week I came to get the car out the garage and once out I hit the electric mirror control to fold mirrors out and the knob just fell of in my hand as the mould is made from plastic and has broken.

Spoke to Ferrari not covered by warranty and they want £330 for a plastic knob, OK I think what they are offering to replace is the whole module but made me laugh and I think I will just fix it myself if possible otherwise I will pay the £330 to sort it.

Still no regrets though because having driven the newer Ferrari's I get back in my 458 and think would I swap even if no extra to pay, ABSOLUTELY NOT. At the end they hit nail on the head, the 458 is as good as it gets really in the V8 line up. Only an 812 could ever tempt me but saying that again if the same price I'd still not want to part with my 458, just truly gets under your skin.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Can't say I agree on interior quality but also saying that last week I came to get the car out the garage and once out I hit the electric mirror control to fold mirrors out and the knob just fell of in my hand as the mould is made from plastic and has broken.

Bloody cheap rarri :D

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

No real updates as such, but nearing two years ownership now and shall be time to re-new the warranty soon, thinking of going with two years and shall ring around dealers to see who can offer best rate but was considering also just not bothering considering these cars tend to be reliable but as an engine is probably 20-30k and a gearbox 10-20k then 5k for a couple years peace of mind seems not such a bad deal.

Also coming up for its last free service, at which point it shall then move onto paid for servicing which is £900-£1200 per year with Ferrari, not so bad really.

Also grabbed a couple of pictures with it alongside the little Abarth which shall be going soon as a Yaris GR is on order. :)

g2.jpg

Also the garage update is coming along:

g3.jpg

A door shall be put into the back of garage as having a workshop build on the rear of the garage to house all the tools, garden stuff etc. Then getting a third garage added next to this one from same manufacturer who have quoted £6500 for the job and can do it around March/April so will be going with that, it shall be a little longer than this one, around 13ft by 13ft so will have a 9ft door even though in the short term the smallest car shall be living in there (S2000), but the plan is to put a proper ramp/jack in their to make working on cars easier and if I ever find a C3 Corvette or other classic I really want to buy, then that is where it shall live.

Also grabbed a spare set of 458 wheels in silver:

g4.jpg

But upon close inspection they are slightly different shades which I know would set off my OCD, so I am gonna have the refurbished with a diamond cut finish to match a fellow owners car that is also yellow with a black roof, so once finished they will look like this:

g5.jpg

I am considering doing the inside parts of the wheel black though instead of grey, but not decided yet, just feel the black would suit the car even better. :)

Soldato
Sounds like some good plans ahoy!

I'd be interested to know who you're using for the garage work. I'm thinking of extending my garage to the rear, just like you to house all the tools/mini workshop. But also considering extending it further down the drive for more space for when doing the work on cars etc.

I thought I'd be happy with a decent sized double garage, but oddly I just want more space :D

OcUK Staff
OP
Sounds like some good plans ahoy!

I'd be interested to know who you're using for the garage work. I'm thinking of extending my garage to the rear, just like you to house all the tools/mini workshop. But also considering extending it further down the drive for more space for when doing the work on cars etc.

I thought I'd be happy with a decent sized double garage, but oddly I just want more space :D

Same.

Our neighbour is a retired builder who happens to be very good, built the house next door himself and has a lot of experience.

He did our wet room too which he finished recently, just some final polishing touches:

F311AAB8-134C-4F13-8F84-16B13774F21F.jpeg

Which was a godsend as the first builder was a cowboy who I had to fire, think our neighbour felt sorry for us so he agreed to sort it and do the other jobs I want. He charges me £160 a day plus materials which seems very fair.

I know all the wood panels for the inside of current garage was £600 and it took him around 4 days to do the garage and around 5 days to do bathroom.

I will ask him for you but as he is retired he is selective on his jobs and does not like to work far from home so suspect he will say no.

Workshop I want just so that the garage literally just has cars in it and nothing else and once weather warms up I plan to paint the interior walls white.

Having a third garage from Hanson put next to the double but with a wider door and the S2000 can live in there unless I buy an older classic car in future as keep looking at C3 Corvettes and also want to put a ramp in there so I can use it to work on my cars easily too. :)

Was a little shocked at how much prices have gone up on garages though as to my spec the garage is £4600 plus £1950 to dig a whole and put a waterproof concrete base in, but gonna check with the neighbour if that’s a fair price for the base.

A big tidy garage is nice though. :)

Permabanned
hmmmmm trade the 458 for the gt3 rs.

ooooof thats a tough one.

the c3 yes that v8 hmmmmmmm, and pop up headlights, the end..

another perfect garage :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Ah no worries then, understandable!

Nice to have someone like that as a neighbour though :D

Yeah we’re very lucky as get along with them very well though cars are not his thing at all he just has a couple of 4x4’s but his property is stunning like seven bedrooms but advantage of being a builder he can make his house bigger as and when he likes lol. Though he has asked for a ride out in the S2000 as he really likes it and he refuses to go near the 458 lol.

OcUK Staff
OP
hmmmmm trade the 458 for the gt3 rs.

ooooof thats a tough one.

the c3 yes that v8 hmmmmmmm, and pop up headlights, the end..

another perfect garage :)

My plan was to buy a 991.1 GT3 PDK, a bottom of the pile car, basic spec in white though red is my favourite colour in GT3 for around 70k later this year or next and just use it as a daily in Summer and track it a lot but what I’d really want is a 991.2 GT3 manual but at 120k bit of a stretch as I don’t want to finance one.

Plenty of time yet or I hope so lol and will change Abarth to Yaris and still plan to change the M5 to a Alfa or maybe an M3 competition so GT3 can wait a year or two as I don’t fancy getting rid of 458 love it too much to sell it, I’d rather a 458 and a base GT3 rather than say just a 458 Speciale or a GT3 RS as in my view the two cars together are better than just the one and yes I’m on hunt for a classic but it’s a hunt that I am in no rush to do.

Permabanned
My plan was to buy a 991.1 GT3 PDK, a bottom of the pile car, basic spec in white though red is my favourite colour in GT3 for around 70k later this year or next and just use it as a daily in Summer and track it a lot but what I’d really want is a 991.2 GT3 manual but at 120k bit of a stretch as I don’t want to finance one.

Plenty of time yet or I hope so lol and will change Abarth to Yaris and still plan to change the M5 to a Alfa or maybe an M3 competition so GT3 can wait a year or two as I don’t fancy getting rid of 458 love it too much to sell it, I’d rather a 458 and a base GT3 rather than say just a 458 Speciale or a GT3 RS as in my view the two cars together are better than just the one and yes I’m on hunt for a classic but it’s a hunt that I am in no rush to do.

hmmmm interesting.

go for the alfa defo

daz

daz

Soldato
Sold my C3 earlier in the year. Had a lot of fun owning it - a really nice relaxed/cruiser, great sound. I'll probably regret parting with it one day but it was such a nice car to own, everyone would always ask me about MPG :D.

Parts are generally quite cheap and plentiful because Corvettes were made in such numbers so it's not ruinous to own like some classics. Unlike you I only have the space for a single car in the garage though (where my perf lives), so couldn't really keep it for another winter it was just getting ruined. :(

OcUK Staff
OP
Sold my C3 earlier in the year. Had a lot of fun owning it - a really nice relaxed/cruiser, great sound. I'll probably regret parting with it one day but it was such a nice car to own, everyone would always ask me about MPG :D.

Parts are generally quite cheap and plentiful because Corvettes were made in such numbers so it's not ruinous to own like some classics. Unlike you I only have the space for a single car in the garage though (where my perf lives), so couldn't really keep it for another winter it was just getting ruined. :(

Got any photos of the C3 please? What year was it and what was the MPG lol. :D
Yeah a classic has got to be kept indoors, why I am building another garage so when I finally get one it has somewhere to live and then the S2000 will have to slum it outside.

Building larger or more garages is also not a good idea, just gives you more excuses to keep cars and not sell them lol.

Still would not mind a Perf one day, I also like the Huracan EVO RWD, looks like they got it spot on and think the Huracan must be nearing the end of its lifespan now or certainly what makes it which is that V10 motor. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Wouldn’t keep an s2000 outside. The rear arches will dissolve

True, I have sealed the car though back when lock down started with the bilt and hamber, even better there was zero signs of any rust starting, so its protected, but it shall be staying indoors for now anyway. Had its MOT today also, passed no issues. :)

daz

daz

Soldato
Got any photos of the C3 please? What year was it and what was the MPG lol. :D
Yeah a classic has got to be kept indoors, why I am building another garage so when I finally get one it has somewhere to live and then the S2000 will have to slum it outside.

Building larger or more garages is also not a good idea, just gives you more excuses to keep cars and not sell them lol.

Still would not mind a Perf one day, I also like the Huracan EVO RWD, looks like they got it spot on and think the Huracan must be nearing the end of its lifespan now or certainly what makes it which is that V10 motor. :)

Don't want to de-rail the thread but here's a few I found quickly - https://imgur.com/a/VhTVdyW - It was a 1977 and I'd get about 10MPG on average. :D

Associate
ive got a workshop/garage ive recently had extended by a joiner id recommend (hes v.near your way gibbo). the new building is now about 10m x 5m. Im also lucky enough to have a second 'proper' garage. You cant have enough space for toys!

KQQucp7.jpg
Finished last april. Would definately recommend the shelving and store wall racking from garage pride.
tpVtCJ8.jpg
Half finished. The roller shutter is ace.

OcUK Staff
OP
ive got a workshop/garage ive recently had extended by a joiner id recommend (hes v.near your way gibbo). the new building is now about 10m x 5m. Im also lucky enough to have a second 'proper' garage. You cant have enough space for toys!

KQQucp7.jpg
Finished last april. Would definately recommend the shelving and store wall racking from garage pride.
tpVtCJ8.jpg
Half finished. The roller shutter is ace.

That is really nice, I’m pretty set with having a matching garage put next to our double and then our builder is gonna put a workshop on the back of the double.

I did consider maybe knocking the double down and building a custom 3/4 car garage/workshop in its place and though it would look very nice would probably cost in region of 50-60k, maybe more and be pointless now as I’ve already spent money on the current garage and when finished what I’m doing will probably cost around 10k. :)

Back
Top Bottom