Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Virgin media engineer has just left. He took a look at my line stats and said upstream power was too high, so he said he 'adjusted' it. After I left, I noticed a 3db attenuator connected to my superhub3 so I'm guessing that's what the 'adjustment' was? Speed issues weren't happening when he was here because it was a bit to early, he also said their was no over subscription in my area

Right now, at 6PM my current speedtest is 438Mbps, I'm on M600. It's still not where it should be

EDIT - Nvm, back down to 200Mbps now. No idea what I should do next

Last edited:
Caporegime
I would create a thread on their forum with your stats and explain what's already been attempted to improve it. Otherwise, you'll likely get another engineer out who'll try a different attenuator and leave you in the same situation. It seems to be standard VM practice to send engineer after engineer who simply goes through the same steps. You may be lucky enough to get one who thinks outside the box every now and then.

Soldato
Virgin media engineer has just left. He took a look at my line stats and said upstream power was too high, so he said he 'adjusted' it. After I left, I noticed a 3db attenuator connected to my superhub3 so I'm guessing that's what the 'adjustment' was? Speed issues weren't happening when he was here because it was a bit to early, he also said their was no over subscription in my area

Right now, at 6PM my current speedtest is 438Mbps, I'm on M600. It's still not where it should be

EDIT - Nvm, back down to 200Mbps now. No idea what I should do next
Do you have a broadband quality meter running?
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

Soldato

Yeah but you'll see some interruptions during the time I put the hub back into modem mode
Yes, outside of your hub's down time you can see you definitely have on going issues. That's how my quality meter looked when I had issues. It took a year for them to resolve it during which time I got a 50% refund each month.

My speed has returned to normal so whatever was causing my slow speeds has gone. I just took this now at ~8.30pm which is still normally quite a busy period. The 676.2 Mbps in red is the average download for the last 15 secs. The 683.4 in white is the peak rate. @Avalon

50800399888_76b52f2c32_o.jpg

Soldato
Yes, outside of your hub's down time you can see you definitely have on going issues. That's how my quality meter looked when I had issues. It took a year for them to resolve it during which time I got a 50% refund each month.

My speed has returned to normal so whatever was causing my slow speeds has gone. I just took this now at ~8.30pm which is still normally quite a busy period. The 676.2 Mbps in red is the average download for the last 15 secs. The 683.4 in white is the peak rate. @Avalon

50800399888_76b52f2c32_o.jpg

What did they do to resolve your issues?

Associate
Just put in a 30 day disconnection request :(
I called them, out of contract to see if they could offer anything comparable to Vodafone Gigafast pricing as I can see on the Voda site they say £35 per month for 500Mbps.
The best the rep at Virgin could offer was £40 for M350 or £50 for M500 :(

I would have been happy to stay if they could have done M350 for £35

Soldato
Can someone here take a look at my hub stats, does anything look off?

0lVGay7.png
rUbfkqI.png
PS6BoeW.png
aSFf7Uj.png

Someone on the VM forums said all of my modulations should be 64 and one of them is 32

Soldato

Looks solid, better than mine!

Someone on the VM forums said all of my modulations should be 64 and one of them is 32. Also, anything wrong with the amount of pre rs errors

IIRC, modulations change from area to area depending on how they've multiplexed the channels in your area. Pre-RS errors look fine, pretty small numbers, and no Post-RS errors indicated they were repaired on the fly. Post-RS errors are basically uncorrected and can indicate noise on the line.

Soldato
Looks solid, better than mine!

IIRC, modulations change from area to area depending on how they've multiplexed the channels in your area. Pre-RS errors look fine, pretty small numbers, and no Post-RS errors indicated they were repaired on the fly. Post-RS errors are basically uncorrected and can indicate noise on the line.

Thanks. Maybe I just need to accept that my slow speeds during peak hours are due to over utilization, but I don't think Virgin will admit this, so I'm not really sure what I can do apart from getting them to send engineers out

Soldato
Thanks. Maybe I just need to accept that my slow speeds during peak hours are due to over utilization, but I don't think Virgin will admit this, so I'm not really sure what I can do apart from getting them to send engineers out

If you're getting slow speeds in the evening and weekends, with full speeds in the morning/afternoon weekdays, that's classic area over-subscription. It's all worse at the moment due to people being at home during the lockdowns.

Soldato
While I absolutely would hold them to account for the speed they’re promising vs. delivering I doubt you’re actually being inconvenienced by these speeds. Most websites (even huge streaming websites like BBC, sky and Amazon) will only be giving you 25Mbps per stream at peak times because that’s plenty. In my experience you very rarely notice the benefit of anything over FTTC speeds unless you’re running your own web server in which case the benefit comes from upload speed, not download anyway.

Associate
Price increases incoming

:rolleyes: Yeah, e-mail received this morning.

£3.50 increase which just so happens to coincide with my 18 month deal ending the month before.

From £50 to £64 to £67.50 in a blink of an eye :mad:

Current package is: MixTV - M200 Fibre Broadband - Talk Weekends

Just don't have the patience to go through the whole song and dance with them, a real annoyance is that TV is very seldom watched.

Will have a look around to what's available from other providers for just broadband, although would miss the M200 greatly.

Associate
:rolleyes: Yeah, e-mail received this morning.

£3.50 increase which just so happens to coincide with my 18 month deal ending the month before.

From £50 to £64 to £67.50 in a blink of an eye :mad:

Current package is: MixTV - M200 Fibre Broadband - Talk Weekends

Just don't have the patience to go through the whole song and dance with them, a real annoyance is that TV is very seldom watched.

Will have a look around to what's available from other providers for just broadband, although would miss the M200 greatly.
Just give your 30 day notice, they won't offer much initially but hopefully call within a couple of weeks to offer something good. You could probably just lose the TV and get BB only deal a lot cheaper.

Associate

While the downstream low error rates should mean downstream power levels are fine, you missed posting those as you posted the same image twice for downstream so what range are they in?

However you have the standard symptoms of over subscribed area. You need to get a fault code (VM forum is a good way to a new one or told the existing one) and also a discount as I mentioned in my last post.

The more people get discounts and the fault logged the more likely a fix is. I got everyone I could persuade in my immediate area to do the same. I think the biggest challenge is the speed you're getting isn't bad compared to some VM areas or the terrible speeds we had.

Back
Top Bottom