What's the best driving games these days ?

Associate
I don't race iRacing (a deliberate choice) I see this as akin to taking up a hobby, ala Golf, needs serious time, equipment & commitment. At this point in my life, I can only imagine it is awesome but not for me, one day.

I never got on with Assetto Corsa, just never clicked with me. Not saying its a decent sim as its hugely popular. I just found the handling a bit odd. Cars spinning out at 30mph?

Arcade:
Wreckfest, been out for years and yet fully supported to this day. Started off with a rocky start, but since its initial, ropey release has got better and better. Nice driving model, AI and even online, its a laugh. I really like this game. Racing around a simple oval and watching cars total and dodging wrecks Cole Trickle style. :D

Simulator:
Automobilista 1 just for the experience, the sim is not the prettiest, it does not have the usual circuits, cars. Only the physics, feedback and AI remains highly rated to this day. Automobilista 2 is getting there but still being developed, I am holding off until its done.
Raceroom Experience, recommended but expensive, I have grown to love (hated it at first) but its coming together.

Trucking:
Euro and American Truck Simulators, once you try and 'get' the game, it is awesome, chugging about picking up, dropping off loads, I am addicted to these now.

Offroading:
Snowrunner and the like.

Associate
How's the multiplayer for PC2 ? Looking at steam stats ACC has twice as many players so I presume the MP there is better ?

I usually find it easy to get into a lobby during evening times with enough players around. Harder to to find a well populated one during off peak times ( ie when kids are at school :p).

Soldato
I'm playing ACC almost exclusively at the moment. Prefer ACC to PCars2

I may move to iRacing in the near future. I can't get AMS2 to play nicely with my wheel base.

Pretty sure it would have been cheaper for me to buy an old Clio and do track days with it :D

50802630303_0f8512810f_z.jpg

Associate
@EddScott what an awesome setup and exactly why I am avoiding iRacing and the like, I can see it being very expensive! :D

Like my mates who took up say, Golf, the costs can quickly spiral, but then if you enjoy a hobby and can afford it - why not!

By gum, that must be epic to race on. :)

Soldato
Iracing for online competition, nothing comes close to it still. Then for me RF2 and Assetto Corsa for handling. RF2 getting some nice visual upgrades currently and plenty of work on updates and improvements and also new and improved laser scanned tracks including the best version of Spa you will find in any racing game.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm playing ACC almost exclusively at the moment. Prefer ACC to PCars2

I may move to iRacing in the near future. I can't get AMS2 to play nicely with my wheel base.

Pretty sure it would have been cheaper for me to buy an old Clio and do track days with it :D

50802630303_0f8512810f_z.jpg
What the best way for someone to explain to there wife that there putting one of these setups in the middle of the living/dining room :D

Associate
I have spent a lot of money on kit, but only practice makes you faster. The extra kit adds immersion, which oddly enough can slow you down. When I got the 3dof motion in VR, the first time I crashed it threw me about quite a lot, which led to me being more careful and ultimately a little slower.

The short answer to which game/sim is drive the one you prefer, but there lots of good options already mentioned.

I use PC2 for a free and fun time trial competition which is run at www.stoopidchallenges.com. Requires an app to run to collect data and telemetry, windows and IOS versions available, started out on Pistonheads forum. Usually 20-30 people running weekly time trials cross platform.

ATS/ETS2 for chilling and easy driving fun, surprisingly addictive.

iRacing - recently restarted/resubbed, got up to a C class licence and stalled now because every race requires me to purchase more tracks and cars...I'll probably end up getting it at some point. It's simply the best place to find a race with their online matching system.

Others:
AMS2 - still a work in progress, in VR I can't get it looking as good as PC2 for some reason. Some interesting and different content to play with.
AC - lots of mods and content, never really got to grips with it fully and again can't get it looking great in VR
ACC - haven't tried it for a while as it just wouldn't run properly in VR, lots of good noises around so it must drive nicely.
F1 - good on screen gaming for when I get fed up of VR (not very often)
LFS - Still installed, but I've rarely played it recently, good fun and runs on potato systems
RF2 - I've tried really hard to enjoy as it drives really nicely, but it's such an old game/sim, it's just not optimised for VR and the UI is appalling. Keep going back and trying it hoping they can bring it up to date.

Soldato
Been playing a fair bit of ACC recently, you're limited to GT3 and GT4 (via DLC) cars but it's hugely satisfying. It feels 'better' than PC2 but there's less cars available.

I think ACC was on offer the other day for just shy of a tenner so it's worth a go. I rented a dedicated server for a month to mess around on as a lot of lobbies require you to get your safety rating up which can take a little while, happy to send over details for it if anyone wants to play.

Soldato
OP
I bought ACC over christmas while it was on offer at cdkeys for just under a tenner, I want to like it but I'm having problems with the controller settings it feels like steering is way too sensitive but I'm not sure which part of the settings I need to adjust, any tips ?

Also decided to play F1 2018 because it's in my library from a freebie sometime, it's a lot easier than ACC which is surprising as I thought it would be tougher because faster but I definitely prefer handling out of the box in F1 over ACC

Soldato
Bought it too over Christmas. It takes time and practice. I'm on about 70 hours I think just since Christmas and more or less only driving the Aston Martin V8 (easiest and most predictable handling) and I'm just getting comfortable with the handling. When I jumped back onto F1 2020 th handling felt lifeless and flat.

I'm using a G29 wheel but as you said could be controller?

Soldato
I bought ACC over christmas while it was on offer at cdkeys for just under a tenner, I want to like it but I'm having problems with the controller settings it feels like steering is way too sensitive but I'm not sure which part of the settings I need to adjust, any tips ?

Also decided to play F1 2018 because it's in my library from a freebie sometime, it's a lot easier than ACC which is surprising as I thought it would be tougher because faster but I definitely prefer handling out of the box in F1 over ACC

Are you playing with a gamepad? The default controls on my XBOX One controller were horrific out of the box and I needed to use some settings off Youtube to get it to stop being weird. Happy to send over the details when I'm home later if needed.

Soldato
OP
Are you playing with a gamepad? The default controls on my XBOX One controller were horrific out of the box and I needed to use some settings off Youtube to get it to stop being weird. Happy to send over the details when I'm home later if needed.

Yeah xbox controller would appreciate the link thanks!

Associate
AMS2,ACC,RF2,Raceroom all keeping me busy during lockdown,
I installed the new SOL and CSP [paid version] this morning for AC, OMFG simply stunning.
I recorded my first try with it crashed after a few laps but mind blowing stuff.

Back
Top Bottom