New Alienware Q3 2020

Caporegime
Would you guys mind giving me your other settings?

Genuinely isn't 23% just very dark?

Is it possible I have a damaged panel? Or is my perception for brightness different potentially?

Are we taking about taking this thing out of the box and just setting brightness to 23%? That's all you've done?

I will give you the rest of settings tonight but from memory i have adjusted the red/green/blue channels downwards as told to be the calibration device.

I have adjusted brightness and contrast, adaptive room lighting monitor is off as well/

I also loaded the icc monitor profile from Dell's website before I got round to calibrating it properly.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/dell-aw3821dw-monitor/drivers

Soldato
Thanks folks.

So right off the bat... not sure what to think about this panel.

1. http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php#blacktest.png - boxes 1 to like 5 are pitch black up to no.7 even at 70% brightness.... not sure if this is right.
2. The colour level, seems a bit bland on desktop, not sure what to do here or which settings to play with. For example the OCUK blue background just looks very dull and grey, it only comes to life if I use one of the presets, problem is Im not sure how to get that level of colour using the standard settings.
3. Vignetting. Unfortunately I think this panel ALSO suffers with vignetting, albeit to a lesser extent than the LG. I can see the panel lighting level dimming as you get towards the top of the panel, but interestingly not at the bottom of the panel. This is more pronounced when displaying solid bright colours e.g. like browser white background.
4. Where do I find the colour calibration tool in W10? It doesnt appear in advanced display settings as suggested in the laptopmag link provided?

Associate
I’m running my AW38 at 19% brightness - custom colour - R99, G95, B92. Everything else is default. Didn’t use hardware calibration just set it to what looked/felt right for me.

Soldato
19%... blimey....
Either I have been running my monitor incorrectly for many years....
Or I just like much higher brightness....
Or do I have a defective panel?

I would love to see some example panels at these brightness levels...

Caporegime
19%... blimey....
Either I have been running my monitor incorrectly for many years....
Or I just like much higher brightness....
Or do I have a defective panel?

I would love to see some example panels at these brightness levels...

Panel brightness is all relevant to room conditions. I am at work in an office with 9 overhead lights and outside light and running my screen (different one to home) at 79% brightness and 85% contrast and it still looks duller than my aw38 at home and thats set to 23%.

But at home my screen is in the cupboard under the stairs.

And if people are going for the 120cd setting for true life colour work etc (like me) then the screen does look quite dull. The theory behind 120cd is that your blank white desktop would look the same as a blank sheet of printing paper held up to it. As you can imagine, that is quite dull.

When gaming i do turn the brightness up to 30% so everything "pops" more but in darkness I would be uncomfortable using anything brighter.

that black test you linked to, I tried it on my uncalibrated cheapo 1440p work screen and can see the squares from no 3 upwards.

You sure you havent got auto ambient light adjustment switched on on the monitor?

Associate
Thanks bud appreciate it.

This is probably going back....
I wouldn't write off your unit just yet. On my AW2721D I put the brightness to 85%, so complete opposite to others in this thread. I haven't calibrated yet though.

It depends on your personal environment and conditions though. My room during the day is very bright and I've come from using bright IPS panel for the past 6 years or so, so I'm used to it. I probably need to run a separate profile in the evenings when the room has darkened, but I'll get to that when I calibrate.

Soldato
Panel brightness is all relevant to room conditions. I am at work in an office with 9 overhead lights and outside light and running my screen (different one to home) at 79% brightness and 85% contrast and it still looks duller than my aw38 at home and thats set to 23%.

But at home my screen is in the cupboard under the stairs.

And if people are going for the 120cd setting for true life colour work etc (like me) then the screen does look quite dull. The theory behind 120cd is that your blank white desktop would look the same as a blank sheet of printing paper held up to it. As you can imagine, that is quite dull.

When gaming i do turn the brightness up to 30% so everything "pops" more but in darkness I would be uncomfortable using anything brighter.

that black test you linked to, I tried it on my uncalibrated cheapo 1440p work screen and can see the squares from no 3 upwards.

You sure you havent got auto ambient light adjustment switched on on the monitor?
Thanks for the extensive response bud. Correct no ambient light sensor on.
Reconfirming that I can see the box from no3 upwards as well now.

You got the Dell colour profile loaded from Dell's website?
Yes I downloaded it and the driver for the panel. Incidentally is there a firmware update for this and if so how do you load this?

I wouldn't write off your unit just yet. On my AW2721D I put the brightness to 85%, so complete opposite to others in this thread. I haven't calibrated yet though.
It depends on your personal environment and conditions though. My room during the day is very bright and I've come from using bright IPS panel for the past 6 years or so, so I'm used to it. I probably need to run a separate profile in the evenings when the room has darkened, but I'll get to that when I calibrate.
Hmm I suspect you are right about this.
How are you all altering the colour on this panel? Is it through a cimbination of contrast as well as the custom color function?

Also iirc you've sent back a *lot* of monitors in this last year, maybe you're just a little too fussy to settle on one? Just an observation, I can suffer from this myself if I don't control it.
Well to be fair its only 2 types that Ive tried which are the LG 38GN950 and the GL950. (not including this one of course).
I had 1 x GL950s and 2 x GN950.
Not sure thats "a lot" to be fair compared to some people who have returned the same panel maybe 3 or 4 times?
I agree that one can get fussy about it and has to draw the line somewhere.

The vignetting is the thing that is peeing me off the most with the LGs, to be fair with the Dell its happening to a lesser extent. I wonder if this is inherent to IPS panels in general, as I am coming from a VA panel.

I would very much would like to know what preset you guys are running for setting your monitors up. Is it the standard preset or one of the other ones and then you make changes to that preset?
And the firmware topic would be interesting to know as well.

Associate
Thanks for the extensive response bud. Correct no ambient light sensor on.
Well to be fair its only 2 types that Ive tried which are the LG 38GN950 and the GL950. (not including this one of course).
I had 1 x GL950s and 2 x GN950.
Not sure thats "a lot" to be fair compared to some people who have returned the same panel maybe 3 or 4 times?
I agree that one can get fussy about it and has to draw the line somewhere.

I returned 3 x 27GN950-B's before I got my Dell - The LG QC was appalling - for the money we are paying for these monitors we should absolutely be returning to get something that we are happy with! I'm thankful to say that that's the AW3821 for me - but it did take weeks of waiting for replacement 27gn950's for me to get here.....Stay strong (and safe!)

Associate
How long did it generally take you guys to receive your monitors from Dell? Mine is meant to be delivered today but I have received no notification from Syncreon or DHL as to whether this will be happening - I've tried tracking on DHL website using my invoice/customer/order numbers from Dell with no luck.

Associate
How long did it generally take you guys to receive your monitors from Dell? Mine is meant to be delivered today but I have received no notification from Syncreon or DHL as to whether this will be happening - I've tried tracking on DHL website using my invoice/customer/order numbers from Dell with no luck.

I was mislead by Dell when ordering. Although the sales rep and website stated next day, it transpired it was actually a week. I complained and got a goodwill gesture of £100 (although I am still actually waiting for this).. The customer experience is not what I expected from Dell, they have habit of closing tickets before actually resolving anything.

Not to mention in my ticket history, I can see two laptops that I have never even purchased appearing there. Turns out they're repairing parts and listed them in China. I mentioned it to support and they just closed my ticket, lol.

Back
Top Bottom