Selling high value item on ebay

Soldato
So I've spoken to ebay via the phone and you're all right. Their returns system is flawed massively.

The case is open at the moment. If he escalates it, even though on one messaged I've got him to self incriminate himself, ebay would still side with him, he would get the item and keep the item if I don't agree to a return.

So I'm absolutely fuming. Withdrawing my money now.

But can that lead to a ccj.

We are talking about £2400. It isn't chump change to PayPal.

ccj from who ?

in a court of law you would come out on top so just get your big boy pants on and get ready to go to court if need be. If you don't want the hassle of this then basically you should never have parted with 2.5K worth of goods on ebay to the USA

Associate
So I've spoken to ebay via the phone and you're all right. Their returns system is flawed massively.

The case is open at the moment. If he escalates it, even though on one messaged I've got him to self incriminate himself, ebay would still side with him, he would get the item and keep the item if I don't agree to a return.

So I'm absolutely fuming. Withdrawing my money now.

But can that lead to a ccj.

We are talking about £2400. It isn't chump change to PayPal.
If you've got him to self incriminate on an eBay message then you can show that on PayPal's dispute resolution. What exactly did he say that was incriminating?

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
If you've got him to self incriminate on an eBay message then you can show that on PayPal's dispute resolution. What exactly did he say that was incriminating?
He said "
I cant be anymore transparent. I repeat, I did not completely understand the ad/description"

So he is at fault when trying to claim not as described now surely.

To confirm, it was described perfectly.

Permabanned
OP
It's a classification for some of the most expensive cards

I learnt all this thanks to logan paul and lockdown....
Is that the one that went "missing" in the post, worth like £65k

Anyway, my paypal remains minus, I won't be addressing that until the case is closed.

eBAY agent on the phone pretty muched confirmed their system is open to manipulation.

Paypal agent, less helpful, kept saying sorry. I have 90 days to clear until they pass it on. Dunno what that means, or the implications, but we're planning a mortgage application in June and don't want negative things on my file. Likewise I'm not handing out cash for a lack of protection.

Soldato
Do you have proof that the one you posted was the original, did you take photos/video etc.? If so, and this chancer claims to have received a fake, then get onto the courier company and start a complaint procedure with them about their staff stealing your item and replacing it with a copy. I mean, if you definitely posted the original and the buyer definitely received a fake then logic dictates it has to be the courier company that stole your item. ;)

Soldato
The debt collectors that Paypal sell your debt too have no legal authority to do anything other than threaten to pay you a visit, which they wont. I have been through all this after being scammed on ebay, I dug my heels in and was prepared to go to court, nothing happened and the debt collectors were a mild inconvenience.

Had debt collection letters turn up regularly on a place I used to live for someone who lived there before at least one a week for a couple of years. Did actually have debt collectors turn up at one point couple of hefty blokes asked my name and if I was so and so said no, he was a previous tenant so there was not much they could do at that point. But it was an annoying constant irritation.

Don
I know with certain collectable items like this you can get them certified for authenticity and graded for condition and sealed in a fancy plastic display.

yeah for pokemon over here I think it's TCG
Is that the one that went "missing" in the post, worth like £65k

Yeah leonheart lost one in the post, it eventually re-appaered and was graded around 60k, a perfect gem mint version (beckett or PSA 10) of the same card is worth $250k+ now, it's all gone crazy

Associate
Just had a quick look on ebay, I know nothing about Pokemon cards. Good lord!, the price’s! The high value cards should be treated like art works and assessed for authenticity so that there is no issue when trading.

Is there a middle man that deals with the buyer and seller for these? Like an art dealer would? I suppose they would take a cut of the money but it would make sure the transaction went through smoothly.

Don
Just had a quick look on ebay, I know nothing about Pokemon cards. Good lord!, the price’s! The high value cards should be treated like art works and assessed for authenticity so that there is no issue when trading.

Is there a middle man that deals with the buyer and seller for these? Like an art dealer would? I suppose they would take a cut of the money but it would make sure the transaction went through smoothly.

Yeah there are plenty around the world, rudy from alpha investments is a very well known card trader/hoarder. It's a weird and wonderful world with fortunes to be made (and sadly lost in this case potentially)

Soldato
Agreed with big boy pants. Stop crapping yourself thinking PayPal have any actual legal way of forcing you to pay up, they do not. They're definitely adept at scaring fools into it though, as you're showing.

Permabanned
OP
Agreed with big boy pants. Stop crapping yourself thinking PayPal have any actual legal way of forcing you to pay up, they do not. They're definitely adept at scaring fools into it though, as you're showing.
If the buyer was local, he'd be getting what's coming.

However, this is a situation ive never faced, and its not something I'm Enjoying either. But if I have to leave an account minus 2k + and not worry so be it.

Soldato
Agreed had this years ago for a macbook over 900 I just cleared the paypal account and got a few letters from the usual fake solicitors never came to anything. Even made a new account and nothing happens. They have very little actual recourse. You need to decide if you want to fight this or roll over and take it from the scammer and PayPal.

If he was simply trying it on and has misunderstood what he was buying just tell him that's fine if he sends you the real card back and you confirm its legit and undamaged then you refund no problem but if it turns up fake or damaged you will call the local police department for his area and report fraud and they will get a visit. You update PayPal of the dispute and that law enforcement are involved and let it play out. Chances are it' some turd in his mums basement and will crap himself.

Permabanned
OP
Agreed had this years ago for a macbook over 900 I just cleared the paypal account and got a few letters from the usual fake solicitors never came to anything. Even made a new account and nothing happens. They have very little actual recourse. You need to decide if you want to fight this or roll over and take it from the scammer and PayPal.

If he was simply trying it on and has misunderstood what he was buying just tell him that's fine if he sends you the real card back and you confirm its legit and undamaged then you refund no problem but if it turns up fake or damaged you will call the local police department for his area and report fraud and they will get a visit. You update PayPal of the dispute and that law enforcement are involved and let it play out. Chances are it' some turd in his mums basement and will crap himself.
Tempted to just change the address on my PayPal to a random one lol

Back
Top Bottom