Votes: 39 13.4%
  • iPhone 12 Pro

Votes: 93 31.8%
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max

Votes: 109 37.3%

• Total voters
Pet Northerner
Don
after a couple of weeks with the pro max I'm quite happy with it. The move from android to iOS has been a bit weird as the gestures are a little different and I keep reverting to old habits!

Lovely smooth experience and I can't wait to be able to test the camera out properly (outdoors) later in the year (which was the main choice for going for the pro max).

I've managed to keep most things signed on with my google account but signed up for the few things iphone specific using the apple id.

Soldato
Totally understandable. I just think you need to be very sure you want a Mini as the small screen could get very old very quickly. For those that really want a small phone then absolutely, it's a no brainer.
Has all the internals of the rest of the 12 range (slightly slower charging) but for sure a pocket rocket.
It took me a couple of weeks to get used to, and I'm not as accurate at typing on it although that's improving all the time, but otherwise it's so, so good having a phone which easily sits in one hand without stretching

Soldato
Well, ordered my 12 mini today (black 128gb). Should be with me tomorrow if things go well.

Shame about some of the features, but I guess it will still be a massive step up from the iPhone 7.

I did look at some Android phones, but for main phone they aren't for me. Most were too large, and Google at least on my Sony Z5C and earlier phones has been a mess.

Will start bitching and moaning about the 12 mini the days to come I'm sure ;)

Soldato
Received the mini today. I didn't realise the design was of the 12 was more akin to the old iPhone 4 and so on, rather than the iPhone 7 upwards. I suppose it will grow on me.

the screen is nice. The interface is a bit more restrictive or possibly just more fiddley than on the iPhone 7.

The first problem is that Whatsapp shows an iCloud backup of 754mb and 2.2mb of chats, but constantly throws up an error "couldn't restore chat history"

Last edited:
Soldato
Received the mini today. I didn't realise the design was of the 12 was more akin to the old iPhone 4 and so on, rather than the iPhone 7 upwards. I suppose it will grow on me."
With the greatest of respect did you not read/watch any reviews or look at pictures beforehand? The change in design was one of the main talking points. I know we’re all in lockdown but surely you must have known that?
For my money I prefer it.

Soldato
I realised something today.

I love my iPhone.

My iPhone XS Max was the first smartphone I’ve owned for 2 whole years and this new 12 Pro Max fixes the only gripe I had with it - the camera. It’s phenomenal.

The only thing on my wish list is a fingerprint sensor but that’s only down to covid and masks.

It genuinely is such an ace phone. Leagues ahead of my OnePlus 8T and Android. And this is coming from someone who had android phones almost exclusively between 2012 and 2018.

Soldato
I love my iPhone.

I’m really pleased with my 12 which is surprising because I never particularly got on with my XS. Having sold the XS, I tried a total of four Android phones and couldn’t settle with any of them for one reason or another.

Now I’m back on iOS and am no longer constantly checking phone reviews, trying to decide what phone I want. I’ll keep the 12 until a 120hz iphone appears and I’ll buy that with the intention of keeping it for at least two years.

It also helps that I’ve gone all-in with an Apple Watch, a couple of homepods and I plan to use Fitness+ when my exercise bike finally arrives. My children got new iPads this year as well. I’ll probably get an Apple computer at some point, depending on what they release this year.

Soldato
I’ll keep the 12 until a 120hz iphone appears and I’ll buy that with the intention of keeping it for at least two years.

I always thought 120 Hz would be a major selling point, but that’s changed now I switch between multiple high refresh displays.

My monitor, iPad and OnePlus 8T are high refresh

My MacBook and iPhone are 60Hz.

I don’t miss it at all. The quality of the display on the iPhone is such that I don’t notice any extra text blur or anything. Paired with the higher touch sampling rates, it feels ace.

I’d much rather have the longer battery life.

On an LCD though I’d say it’s necessary.

Soldato
Just echoing the comments above. First time iPhone owner here and the only regret I have is not moving over sooner.
Coming from two high refresh displays most recently (OnePlus 7T Pro & S20 FE) I don’t miss them at all on the 12.

Battery life is phenomenal, not in the absolute sense but the fact the 2815mah battery lasts at least as long, if not longer, compared to the 4000+mah batteries on both of those previous phones is just crazy. My S10e would struggle to make through a full day and even it was over 3000mah. What’s more because the battery is smaller it charges at effectively the same speed as the 30w 7T Pro and I’m easily getting 2 days from a full charge.

The whole package is just so much smoother and apps much more polished and optimised. I lost count of the number of apps I downloaded from Play store that either didn’t work as they should have done or were just absolute garbage. Some might not like it but there’s something to be said for Apple’s more closed system on their App Store.

Soldato
Quick question regarding the iPhone 12’s in the U.K. - do they have the regulatory markings in the side, the same as the European models have?

Soldato
I’m really pleased with my 12 which is surprising because I never particularly got on with my XS. Having sold the XS, I tried a total of four Android phones and couldn’t settle with any of them for one reason or another.

Now I’m back on iOS and am no longer constantly checking phone reviews, trying to decide what phone I want. I’ll keep the 12 until a 120hz iphone appears and I’ll buy that with the intention of keeping it for at least two years.

It also helps that I’ve gone all-in with an Apple Watch, a couple of homepods and I plan to use Fitness+ when my exercise bike finally arrives. My children got new iPads this year as well. I’ll probably get an Apple computer at some point, depending on what they release this year.

The apple eco system is absolutely brilliant. They just all work together so well.

You can set up family icloud and share apps, set reminders, calendars, storage etc

Associate
I was holding off until the S21's reveal tomorrow but couldn't wait any longer and ordered an iPhone 12 today to replace my S10. Wanted to get the Mini but I changed my mind the last second and ordered the regular 12.

I'm excited to use an iPhone again after 2 Android phones (S8, S10). My first iPhone was the 3GS, then I got the 5S and 6S.

I must say that I'm a bit sceptical about my decision though because in some areas it feels like I'm downgrading from my S10 which has a brilliant screen, no notch and iOS 14 seems kinda... outdated? I mean it hasn't changed much from when I had the 6S, even the icons are the same. I hope I'm wrong.

Either way, I've missed the smoothness of iPhones.

Last edited:
Soldato
I must say that I'm a bit sceptical about my decision though because in some areas it feels like I'm downgrading from my S10 which has a brilliant screen, no notch and iOS 14 seems kinda... outdated?
Notch isn’t ideal but for my money it’s much more preferable to the hole punch, it’s the worst compromise for the front facing camera in my opinion.
I’m not experienced with iOS however although it may not have changed appearance in that time I’m pretty sure there have been some good additions, widgets and the App Library among others. Plus there’s also the old adage of if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it.

Soldato
Well I received the pro 12 yesterday. Transferred everything from my 11 over and I think there may have been an issue with the backup as whatever I did I could not seem to get verification for my bank card via Apple Pay. I then tried to restore the back up again, where it resulted in my phone somewhat bricking itself. Apple Logo would flash on and off via 2 sec intervals. Managed to then get into DFU mode eventually and restore everything. Took a while but everything seems ok now, very strange.

So far I much prefer this to my 11. The build seems much better quality, the speaker seems louder, much better vibration motor where I can actually feel it when someone sends me a message. I have yet to try capture videos with it as that's what I primarily purchased it for.

I am so far very happy.

Associate
Bit the bullet and ordered a 12 Pro Max, should get it tomorrow. Upgrading from the XS Max, bit nervous about the squared-off edges making a bit less comfortable to hold/use but will see how I go. Would usually have gone to the Apple Store and had a play with one first but not an option at the moment obviously!

Back
Top Bottom