Modmic uni - crap?

Soldato
Soldato
Hi all

I have a modmic uni and I am being told that my audio quality is generally crap through my motherboard or Soundblaster G6

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

Soldato
I got one of these so I hope not. I have a Sennheiser GSP 550 with the G6, but I'm getting Sennheiser 58x and already got the Modmic. I gave it a quick test and quizzed my friends, they said it sounded ok but weren't much help.

If you want you can join our Discord and I can have a listen you can listen to the Modmic vs Senn. https://discord.com/invite/Bx3yjK8

Associate
Heya folks,
Joe here from Antlion Audio. We've had mixed results from people using the G6, just as a heads up. Like, honestly really mixed, some people say its fine and others had problems with it, but then it would work fine plugged into anything else.

However, if it's still sounding bad direct to the PC please drop by our Discord and hit me up there (AntlionJoe) and I'll see if something is wrong with the hardware / provide info to get it sounding amazing. You can also hit us up via email. Both links are on our site (I dont want to violate rules by linking our stuff on my first post, lol).

Happy to help here as well if you prefer, but I may be slower to reply. First step is to get a recording of what it sounds like and go from there!

Happy holidays and all that jazz!
-Joe

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Heya folks,
Joe here from Antlion Audio. We've had mixed results from people using the G6, just as a heads up. Like, honestly really mixed, some people say its fine and others had problems with it, but then it would work fine plugged into anything else.

However, if it's still sounding bad direct to the PC please drop by our Discord and hit me up there (AntlionJoe) and I'll see if something is wrong with the hardware / provide info to get it sounding amazing. You can also hit us up via email. Both links are on our site (I dont want to violate rules by linking our stuff on my first post, lol).

Happy to help here as well if you prefer, but I may be slower to reply. First step is to get a recording of what it sounds like and go from there!

Happy holidays and all that jazz!
-Joe
Sounds perfect, I will get onto that

I got one of these so I hope not. I have a Sennheiser GSP 550 with the G6, but I'm getting Sennheiser 58x and already got the Modmic. I gave it a quick test and quizzed my friends, they said it sounded ok but weren't much help.

If you want you can join our Discord and I can have a listen you can listen to the Modmic vs Senn. https://discord.com/invite/Bx3yjK8
Thanks for the offer, will try the above then let you know so we can have a test

Don
I have a modmic. Was getting interference on motherboard sound jack, so I bought this..

Sabrent USB External sound card. It was around a tenner. I only use it for my mic. Has been perfect since.

Soldato
@ShivP Did you get and improvement from the modmic? I tried mine and the first thing my friends said was "What have you done to your mic?" They described it as muffled compared to the GSP550 mic. I have gone back to my GSP550 anyway was the mic is better, I like the mute feature and volume control and they have more bass than the 58X i just got.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
@ShivP Did you get and improvement from the modmic? I tried mine and the first thing my friends said was "What have you done to your mic?" They described it as muffled compared to the GSP550 mic. I have gone back to my GSP550 anyway was the mic is better, I like the mute feature and volume control and they have more bass than the 58X i just got.
I haven't yet TBH, got a few exams coming up so haven't looked at it yet

Associate
I'm not convinced the G6 mic input is that good - although I'm on PS5. Mic sounds thinner on a set of PX38x via the G6 than via the controller - really quite poor sounding. Had a Uni for a short while and felt the same via the G6.

Now use a Wireless Modmic on the PS5 and the voice quality is leagues ahead of anything I've used via the G6.

Soldato
I'm not convinced the G6 mic input is that good - although I'm on PS5. Mic sounds thinner on a set of PX38x via the G6 than via the controller - really quite poor sounding. Had a Uni for a short while and felt the same via the G6.

Now use a Wireless Modmic on the PS5 and the voice quality is leagues ahead of anything I've used via the G6.

The G6 is great with the GSP 550 mic, I'm not sure why it would be worse with the modmic. I could let me friend try it who has a GoXLR, he can compare it to his Rode Procaster.

Associate
The G6 is great with the GSP 550 mic, I'm not sure why it would be worse with the modmic. I could let me friend try it who has a GoXLR, he can compare it to his Rode Procaster.

It's really strange - I don't have the Uni to test anymore but my PC38x and Beyer Custom Mic both sound better via the PS5 controller than the G6?

Don't get me wrong, it's still more than good enough for gaming purposes and is still clear, but the sound is definitely thinner/less warm/natural sounding.

Associate
For reasons still unknown to us here at Antlion Audio, nobody ever seems to care about the 3.5mm mic inputs. Not motherboard mfgs, not sound cards. Based on my personal anecodes, 3.5mm input quality has no correlation to the price of the device. I see cheap motherboards beat out expensive gear all the time on the 3.5mm input. It drives me insane since the mics often get blamed for the shortcoming of hardware :(.

Man of Honour
A lot of it seems to be rubbish ground routing (and other traces) on the PCB, etc. often the 3.5mm input is very much a last thought in the design process and you end up with it picking up all kinds of stuff from other components :( so many devices have sources of noise that are closer than ideal even with the possible layouts as well.

Sometimes even just stick a single 0.1uf ceramic capacitor in the right place can make a huge difference.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Well the modmic has just stopped working - great
Think I need to find something else. Bought it from the MM so no warranty it looks like

Associate
Well the modmic has just stopped working - great
Think I need to find something else. Bought it from the MM so no warranty it looks like

Not familiar with the MM acronym, but seriously come by our Discord and I'll see what I can do to help (AAJoe on Discord). Link is on our site.

Back
Top Bottom