• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So if your a normal user and hate GPU mining,get over it.Try this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Guys this has happened in cycles since 2012. I remember one year (back then Bitcoin only peaked at £100 or so) the poster described the time as 'the harsh winter of 2013' or to that effect and I pmsl. There are, as with any hobby or enthusiast niche many odd balls that get emotional and are reckless. Posting here like this is a new phenomenon just means you didnt know it was a thing, each swing where it has gained more value sucks in the greed. OcUK didnt even have a crypto forum section till rather late compared to other dedicated sites, that says it all. Does anyone really care that someone with a 3060Ti mines on their desktop when their not gaming?

Associate
Cadder: Is the environmental impact an issue if you're with a supplier that guarantees 100% renewable energy supply?
SkillTim: Why are people concerned with electricity cost? At current rates it accounts for ~$0.40 per $12.70 you make. Also, you're using electricity for more "selfish" pursuits than mining. After years of weighing it up, mining is now "good" for my family; that takes priority.
I think you asked another question rather than answer my post you quoted.
Another member has kindly answered though so it doesn't matter now.
Your question seemed rhetorical so I made the point that environmental impact is negligible compared to the impact of not providing for my family.

Associate
Funny read. What has today's £10k bitcoin drop done for all of this?
I believe we are talking about ETH (yes I know they are linked by psychological factors).
We are talking about mining, not investing. As long as ETH stays above $200, mining on the 30 series is profitable.

Associate
Wow this thread is hilarious (the parts I read); not sure how some folk can hate something they demonstrably don't have a clue about :D

It's (again) making their hobby more expensive and harder to pursue. Can't blame them really.

Other than that - it's a giant waste of energy in a world that's otherwise trying to cut down (more than mid-sized countries like switzerland now), it's a speculative mania, and exists in a sea of fraud and crazy. And worse still, the internet gets flooded with fanboys telling us how damned amazing they are.

Pretty easy to dislike.

Associate
Really all of this is conjecture. Ultimately the price is the price and that is determined by a multitude of market forces. If you can't afford it then don't buy a new GPU simple! Ranting about it on a forum is not going to make a blind bit of difference!

Soldato
I love how a forum full of people who are happy to burn kWhs playing computer games are getting mad over people burning kWHs mining.

Possibly, some of these people getting mad burn kWHs charging their EVs to drive to exercise areas.

Soldato
Other than that - it's a giant waste of energy in a world that's otherwise trying to cut down (more than mid-sized countries like switzerland now), it's a speculative mania, and exists in a sea of fraud and crazy. And worse still, the internet gets flooded with fanboys telling us how damned amazing they are.

Case in point

Caporegime
Cadder: Is the environmental impact an issue if you're with a supplier that guarantees 100% renewable energy supply?
SkillTim: Why are people concerned with electricity cost? At current rates it accounts for ~$0.40 per $12.70 you make. Also, you're using electricity for more "selfish" pursuits than mining. After years of weighing it up, mining is now "good" for my family; that takes priority.

Your question seemed rhetorical so I made the point that environmental impact is negligible compared to the impact of not providing for my family.
LOL. Not so long a go the scalping group buying up all the XBoxes released a statement.

You know what it said? "Some of our members are finding it hard to provide for their families in this difficult time. We give them the means to make money and put food on the table." I lol'd my ass off. This is a scalping group trying to improve its image much like you just did :p

Random drug dealer: "I only took up selling crack to provide for my family."

The tiny violins, I hear them!

Soldato
The people pushing mining here are doing it to maximise the secondhand value of their current GPUs. So there is a vested interested in them posting in the GPU section because it makes their new GPUs cheaper.

There is afterall a whole subsection devoted to mining here,but as the OP also said this:

just to irritate those kind of people.

It's (again) making their hobby more expensive and harder to pursue. Can't blame them really.

Because the people posting in this thread are the contributing reason to this. They will pay any cost for their GPUs "because mining",hence making sure next generation RRPs will also go up. Instead of criticising retailers,AMD,Nvidia,etc on their jacking up of GPU prices,they find more and more reasons to "have" to pay scalpers prices.

It's a form of Stockholm syndrome where retailers,AMD,Nvidia,etc can do no wrong and all the wrong is directed towards normal consumers who want a GPU to play a few games on,etc. This is the reality of the modern enthusiast - more worried about mining,stocks and shares,etc than the actual hobby of gaming,etc. Even a number here admitted they don't game much if at all.

They are the one causing scalping of new GPUs at high prices,and causing the secondhand market to go massively up in price,because they are "not in the wrong" for paying above the odds for GPUs.

Hence,they will defend what they do until the end,and attack gamers who just want a GPU to game on at normal prices.

The worst thing many of the ones pushing it here,invested early so actually have lower startup costs than someone doing it. It realistically is a Ponzi scheme as many have said here.

I am still waiting for someone asking advice on what £20000 Focus they want to get,to be told to spend £50000 on a classic car,since it can generate "extra income".

:p

Last edited:
Associate
Case in point

I've been following the cryptocurrency space for years, I work in cryptographic tools and systems, including in both the payments and finance sectors. Please explain to me what, precisely, it is you think I don't have a clue about? Maybe by addressing some of the points made?

Or you could just post another glib one-liner about how superior you are, I guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been following the cryptocurrency space for years, I work in cryptographic tools and systems, including in both the payments and finance sectors. Please explain to me what, precisely, it is you think I don't have a clue about?

Don't bother with them. These people benefit from the scalpers prices,since they can sell their secondhand GPUs for silly prices,etc. They benefit from the state of the current market,so they will defend it to the end.

This is the level our gaming hobby has been reduced to. So many countries are in lockdown,and home PC use is increasing,and gaming is an avenue that people have increasingly used in the last year as an escape. Now all the scalpers,miners,etc meaning so many mainstream gamers I know this year who have upgraded rigs,have had to stick with old GPUs(which have an increased chance of failure),and are hoping they can last another year or two until prices drop.

This thread smacks of smugness,ie,"look at meeeee" I invested in crypto early,spend a £1000 on a GPU,have lots of rigs,etc. Considering most gamers are on sub £300 GPUs,sub £250 CPUs,etc - these enthusiasts suddenly think people can find £100s more upfront to invest in their rigs,eat the running costs for a few months not using it for gaming,etc(during a lockdown) and everything will be hunky dory.

Last edited:
Soldato
I work in cryptographic tools and systems, including in both payments and finance.

Then why pretend it has no use? You should fully understand exactly why it exists and why it's important. Are there flaws? Yeah, absolutely - I see it as a beta version of what it can be and won't dismiss it because it's not perfect.

Don't bother with them. These people benefit from the scalpers prices,since they can sell their secondhand GPUs for silly prices,etc. They benefit from the state of the current market,so they will defend it to the end.

I don't mine and don't benefit in any way from the current state of the market. I see blockchain as a useful and will be an important technology going forward; so it kinda bugs me when people poo-poo it, knowing nothing about it other than it "inconveniences" them.

To put it in more gamer friendly terms; Crypto is the RTX20x0 series.... It's expensive and there's not much use for it right-this-very-now!! But it's an important step that will benefit us going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom