2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
8 tablespoons paprika

Stick it in the slow cooker, then add a mixture of;
Half a cup of tomato ketchup
A generous helping of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
1/2 handful brown sugar
Mild chilli flakes
A small amount of hickory liquid smoke, if you can get it.

Leave for minimum 8 hours on low, when done drain the liquid, remove the meat, shred to the fibres with two forks and then readd some of the juices to make it more succulent.

Server in buns with 'slaw.

WIN.

Looks good, can I add veg, carrots, onion, potatoes etc???

Soldato
Looks good, can I add veg, carrots, onion, potatoes etc???

Up to you but I often finish off the shoulder in the oven at 190 for 40 minutes and put in pre-prepared veg, use that as a trivet for the shoulder to go on top, pour in some of the juices from the slow cooker and the veg will soak it right up (certain potatoes and root veg will!)

If you put veg in with the shoulder to slow cook, unless it's carrots or veg that will hold together it will simply disintegrate or just be very soggy (i.e. potatoes, parsnips etc)

Reduce some more of the juices from the slow cooker and use it to make a gravy - lovely!

alx

alx

Soldato
My leg of lamb one is this:

Paste/marinade for leg of lamb:
Handful on mint (chopped)
3-5 springs worth of rosemary (roughly chopped)
5 large garlic cloves (crushed and chopped)

Mix with olive oil to form a paste and spread over lamb (ideally leave over night but an hour or so would do). You can adjust the quantities to suit your taste as well.

Slow cooker part:
Chop root vegetables of choice and place in base of slow cooker (I used potato, sweet potato and carrots)
Add 250ml of red wine
Add vegetable stock (I just mixed a stock pot with a little water so it wasn’t one bit clump)
Add 1-2 bay leaves, 2 sprigs of rosemary, some mint and a few more crushed garlic cloves (optional/vary to your taste)
Place lamb leg on top of everything and season with salt and pepper
Cook on low for 6-8 hours

Once finished remove the lamb, cover and set aside – be careful as it’s liable to fall apart!
I then removed the veg/potato, careful not to collect too much of the other herbs/ingredients and made a mash out of it (tasted ace due to adsorbing all the flavours).

I then strained/sieved the remaining liquid and boiled down to produce a gravy, season as required (you can add a few gravy granules as necessary to thicken it up/add extra flavour).

Serve with extra veg if desired.

It’s quite a general recipe so can easily be customised – tasted ace btw

Associate
As I posted on another thread;

Carolina Pulled pork.

Dry rub a pork shoulder in;

2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 handful brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cumin
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
8 tablespoons paprika

Stick it in the slow cooker, then add a mixture of;
Half a cup of tomato ketchup
A generous helping of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
1/2 handful brown sugar
Mild chilli flakes
A small amount of hickory liquid smoke, if you can get it.

Leave for minimum 8 hours on low, when done drain the liquid, remove the meat, shred to the fibres with two forks and then readd some of the juices to make it more succulent.

Server in buns with 'slaw.

WIN.

Huge bump I know but I think it' s worth bringing this thread to the forefront due to the great recipes in it. I use it quite a bit.

I've made the pulled pork recipe quite few times now and it's always been fantastic! I last did it a week ago. I've never found the hickory liquid smoke in the supermarket however and so I've just used a bit of smoked paprika.

I saw on HUKD that amazon today have some pretty cheap. Heads up if anyone else is looking for it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07W8YDGVX?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Back
Top Bottom