Obviously, essentially, basically

Soldato
These words are used far too often by people where I work. Sometimes I think as filler words instead of 'like' or 'eeeeerm' but to me they make the person either sound like they do not have a clue what they are talking about "essentially it is xyz, etc. etc. " The etc. part showing even more that they do not know.

Obviously, essentially and basically come across as patronizing and arrogant. "Obviously you do it this way" It's either not obvious (in which case it should not be used) or it's just patronising

Who else hates these words?

Caporegime
Obviously.

Very hard to say. I think some cards will like voltage, some not. Software readings are not always correct and AB/Precision do not show more than 1.21v, some cards have different power phase design, hybrid are cooled better but dont have as good power delivery as say the classified, some cards are voltage locked by default, some not. 1.21 seems to be what my card is locked at and when i upped it to 1.28 it boosted to around 1582mhz which is obviously too high for air. Many factors which I am slowly learning

I need to get a 9v battery for my multimeter then will test to see the actual voltage, at the moment im using an unlocked bios 'GTX980Ti_ClassyOC.rom' no voltage change but increased power limit

:D Good work, keep us updated.

I love it when things like this happen (well, not the stolen part obviously but the 'payback' bit)

I might be being a spaz but where is the lens cloth/cleaner? It might be hiding in a secret compartment i dont know about in the box somewhere!

How do you re-calibrate like you could with the DK2 scene and how do you get back to the demoes? (like the trex scene)

Quality is a good improvement over the DK2, lighter headset and everything just seems to a high quality. The visual quality is better than the Vive (from the brief 5 minutes I tested the Vive) but you obviously dont get the motion controllers or can walk around - I can live with both these

Time to look for some good (free) content

Thanks. I won't. Although I have redeemed Luckys tale and Eve

Another question. The sensor thats on the stand, is it possible to take it off the stand? I had the DK2 sensor mounted on the top of my monitor but this one obviously cannot go in front of the monitor because it gets in the way, cannot be mounted and at the side of the monitor is a bit too close, plus if you look the opposite side it doesn't have the best angle.

Where has everyone placed their sensor?

Thanks, found it in rivatuner stats server.
Does the FPS limit of 98 make much of a difference over just setting gsync and vsync on in Nvidia display panel? Only it obviously affects benchmarks

It's coming up to my girlfriends birthday and have a couple of ideas - She likes the theater, I do not (as i expect most men don't) but happy to go to something. She mentioned a London visit but a night/weekend in London would set me back £500 minimum which I just don't have at the moment.

She doesnt't have a laptop and I have a spare one which I don't use, its a few years old but obviously second hand. How would you feel about being given a second hand laptop/any electronic device for your birthday if you wanted one?

Have an 11 pro 64gb arriving at work Monday - need a test device to make sure it works with our deployment build, policies and apps :)
I will be sad about losing the finger print scanner as I unlock my current phone in my pocket - obviously harder to do that with face id

My girlfriend is currently working 2 days in the office. She has now been asked to work full time in the office (Mon-Fri) as more poeple will be furloughed and there is a need for office staff still as not everything can be completed when working from home.

Do you think this is fair in terms of them asking her to come into the office more, risking both her health and my health, just so they can furlough more people at the company to save money?

They obviously think she is capable of doing so, otherwise wouldn't have asked her but it seems rather crappy of them. What would happen if she developed a caugh due to going out more and had to self isolate, they would then be stuffed with no-one available or minimal people going into the office

On one side she doesnt want to be seen saying no, as it may affect her career progression. On the other side I feel they should be trying to protect the health of the few staff they have, not asking them to work full time in the office

Is there anything she could say legally about this or a good argument on health grounds?

Me and two other PC players crashed to desktop after a game earlier. Game round was completed on the score screen then heard my GPU power down and crashed to desktop.

Exactly the same for the pther two but console guy (PS4) obviously no problem

I just think the recent patches have been to try and sort/implement some form of anti hacker thing

What does everyone feel about TAC lasers on ARs? They obviously add quite a bit of accuracy, control & hip to fire speed but give away your position showing the laser.
I tend to not use them because of this but noticed others often do.
Is it really easy for the enemy to notice the green laser?

Sawn off 725 is devistating in Warzone (at close range obviously) 2 quick blasts to the chest and it's all over

I currently have a Noctua NH-U14S with a Noctua NF-A15 fan in push pull. This is cooling an i7 [email protected] ghz and has been doing so for many years.

Would this be adequate to cool a 5900X provided I can get the AM4 bracket? All reviews and articles i'm reading recommend a Noctua NH-D15 but this is not far off the U14S in terms of performance from what I can see, costs another ~£70 and is huge

Sticking my current cooler on the 5900X would obviously save me some money, so any reason not to?

I wouldnt read too much into the bios descriptions.
The MSI one says 'Support AMD SAM(SMART ACCESS MEMORY) function'
It obviously fixed more than that with 5000 series as it doesnt crash or give low Cinebench r20 scores anymore. It should have probably read "Improved stability with Ryzen 5000 series CPU...Support AMD SAM..."
Like every company, they wont admit there are issues (or fixed issues) unless everyone starts highlighting them
Big IT software companies are terrible for this. I know as my job for over 10 years is with one of them

I had already wasted too much of my time calling competitors for updates, checking website updates and going to retail stores standing outside for 30 minutes (x3) Not to mention checking multiple websites and an auction website for any deals on 5900X or 5800X.
Easier to bite the bullet. £550 with next day tracked delivery seemed ok. Obviously more than RRP but the seller/scalper would only stand to make £20-£30 after fees and postage

Does this presume they have mixed the memory leaks? They are obviously aware of them if they say restarting the game may have been down to a game restart

No probs :)
I actually have no idea how 3:54 / 3:57 ratios work with RAM and Ryzen. 3:54 is obviously not 1:1, 1:1 is :p I guess the FLCK must just be 3:54 / 3:57, making it 1:1 with the infinity fabric or something. I know just the man to explain the 3:54 ratio thing... @MrPils ? :D

Soldato
I do this a lot, bad habit, I think developed from working with too many people where if you don't put some sort of half arsed qualifier in to show a particular statement isn't meant to be an all encompassing comprehensive statement, you get back a smart ass 'well actually...', followed by some completely irrelevant additional information.

Associate
Who else hates these words?

I can't say I've ever had any issue with them. Some people might overuse them a bit, but that's annoying when done with any word.

Yep. Literally too.

That's different though, because people started using that to mean not literally. That was bad enough, but the fact that the stupid person's alternative definition was added to the dictionary is plain silly.

EDIT: I get that some people think it was fine to include the alternative definition of 'literally' in the dictionary because it became commonly used. I just disagree :p

Soldato
I think that unless you're referring to the difference between something actual and something relative I.e. humidity, the word 'actually' can be removed from any sentence and the sentence will still actually make sense.

Associate
It drives me nuts. I try and drill it out of any of my sales people. So many of them needlessly use the word obviously at the start of every sentence.

The other one is when they try to sound more professional by saying "yourself" instead of "you". "I will do that for yourself" and so on.

Soldato
"Obviously you do it this way" It's either not obvious (in which case it should not be used) or it's just patronising
"I wish you to know that I am aware of this aspect by my mention of it, which may appear to be clearly evident to most people, but you'd be surprised at the number of even highly intelligent and intellectual people to whom it simply does not even occur, so to cover all bases and invite inquiry in case you are one such individual, as well as check my own understanding, I shall reiterate it here"...

Or instead of the above, you could just say 'obviously'.

I use 'essentially' and 'basically' a fair bit, because there's always more to it than people want to hear... so when they bitch about it not being the really long, full, complete and detailed explanation they actually needed to hear, I will have used one or more such words as a disclaimer.
I do also challenge other people who use these words though, and ask for the complete, detailed version of whatever they just said.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I do this a lot, bad habit, I think developed from working with too many people where if you don't put some sort of half arsed qualifier in to show a particular statement isn't meant to be an all encompassing comprehensive statement, you get back a smart ass 'well actually...', followed by some completely irrelevant additional information.

This - have to caveat everything you say or someone will throw it back in your face that you didn't cover every minutia, even though if you did they'd be bored senseless.

Back
Top Bottom