• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800X Boost set to 5050Mhz all cores with AMD Curve Optimizer

Associate
What are you changing in advanced settings?
PBO advanced
PBO limits disabled
PBO scaler Auto
Curve on 0 for all cores
Max CPU boost clock override 200MHz
Platform thermal throttle limit 110

dunno maybe I need a positive curve for my chip? I have no cooling concerns atm I'm using an Artic II 280 with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut.

If I go negative on the curve all cores my system gets very unstable

Soldato
PBO advanced
PBO limits disabled
PBO scaler Auto
Curve on 0 for all cores
Max CPU boost clock override 200MHz
Platform thermal throttle limit 110

dunno maybe I need a positive curve for my chip? I have no cooling concerns atm I'm using an Artic II 280 with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut.

If I go negative on the curve all cores my system gets very unstable

Try PBO limits manual;
PPT - 125W
TDC - 75A
EDC - 110A
Scaler - Auto
Max CPU boost clock override 150MHz
Platform thermal throttle limit - Auto
Curve all cores - 10

You will need to find which are you best cores and set them to a higher value and others to lower e.g. my best cores are 0 and 6. I have those two set on -5 with all others on -20
This will push the best cores on single core boost to +150 (or whatever you set) above 4850Mhz

I expect yours will be crashing when it tries to run weak cores at 5050 Mhz (and a high voltage)

Those PBO limits are lower than using disabled / default settings. When I use Motherboard limits the temperatures go way too high (if overclocking) so my machine reboots. Using lower PBO limits allows less heat, hence more headroom for the CPU to automatically boost to high frequencies.

Those PBO limits yield me low temps (max 72c in heavy benching) and 4.6Ghz all core. Gaming about 70c still and 4.9Ghz / 5Ghz all core boost

edit. This is with slightly increased TDC and EDC values (85 isntead of 75 and 125 instead of 110)
Look for highlighted values and current core clocks when benching
ZLGnHS8.png

Last edited:
Associate
Try PBO limits manual;
PPT - 125W
TDC - 75A
EDC - 110A
Scaler - Auto
Max CPU boost clock override 150MHz
Platform thermal throttle limit - Auto
Curve all cores - 10

You will need to find which are you best cores and set them to a higher value and others to lower e.g. my best cores are 0 and 6. I have those two set on -5 with all others on -20
This will push the best cores on single core boost to +150 (or whatever you set) above 4850Mhz

I expect yours will be crashing when it tries to run weak cores at 5050 Mhz (and a high voltage)

With those settings I can POST but I'll WHEA crash booting into Windows, if I revert the Curve back to disabled rather than -10 all cores I can boot up ok

According to Ryzen Master cores 4 & 5 are preferred/best (don't know how true that is of course), but given I can't boot at -10 not sure what to try next tbh. I can try to stress it all core and see if temps are an issue I guess I don't think they are though.

Soldato
With those settings I can POST but I'll WHEA crash booting into Windows, if I revert the Curve back to disabled rather than -10 all cores I can boot up ok

According to Ryzen Master cores 4 & 5 are preferred/best (don't know how true that is of course), but given I can't boot at -10 not sure what to try next tbh. I can try to stress it all core and see if temps are an issue I guess I don't think they are though.
Are you sure it’s CPU? Have you reverted all setting to defaults and ran any RAM testing programs?

Associate
Are you sure it’s CPU? Have you reverted all setting to defaults and ran any RAM testing programs?
I haven't but its only the CPU settings I'm playing with isn't it? That to my mind is the cause of the instability when I start playing with the Curve otherwise I'm pretty good on just regular PBO which makes me think the RAM and IF speeds are ok.

If I am reading the HWinfo correctly I'm hitting the TDC & EDC limits under multicore stress then seeing the voltage across all cores decrease down to the 1.26v range because of those limits. It also looks like cores 3 & 4 are my strongest and Ryzen Master was wrong or telling me half truths. I guess what I can try next is to Curve it so 3 & 4 have no offset and lower the others down

Associate
Just wait for the Ryzen ClockTuner 2.0 to be released this month, it'll do all the work for you.
Ok yes I see what you mean now, but its actually CTR 2.1 rather than 2.0 that will do the tuning for you according to the info in December.

I've managed to get some better stability now with the Curve Optimiser but performance is frankly no better than PBO=Enabled for me atm I don't seem to be able to negatively offset the curve enough to get a performance boost whilst maintaining stability. Seem to have burned a lot of hours tinkering to gain a bit more knowledge but naff all performance :D

Soldato
Well, all my CPU tuning has gone out the window.
I kept getting random crashes on the COD Warzone weapons loadout. Just things like comparing weapon stats. I tried updating BIOS and setting all settings again but crashes happened again. Turned PBO back to auto and its fine
All the benching and stability testing doesnt stress the computer like a good game menu screen :D

Maybe it requires higher CPU package power in combination with GPU load or something :confused:

I suppose it makes sense that having the extra power for when things spike and limiting PPT/TDC/EDC when the spikes occur ends up causing stability issues (even if these are not highlighted with benchmarking programs)

Associate
I think what is going on is the chips themselves being close to tolerance already on PBO with their voltage/freq curve and the cores really not wanting to go above 4.9GHz.

The interesting thing I’ve discovered myself though through tweaking is a 5800x with PBO can do 4.6GHz all core and boost to 4.9GHz on two cores simultaneously which tbh is no bad thing that is the advertised boost of a 5950x with better all core frequencies (due to less cores, temps and power draw).

Hopefully Ryzen Clock Tuner will squeeze out some more performance but I’m not disappointed by what PBO is doing.

I would not from my experience expect people to be able to follow that YouTube video and just simply apply a negative offset of 30 to all core and get free performance, lower temps with good stability. Maybe he had a golden chip, mine can’t do that what we need IMHO is a bit of guidance as to how to tune PBO whilst maintaining stability there’s a bit of missing information.

Soldato
I think what is going on is the chips themselves being close to tolerance already on PBO with their voltage/freq curve and the cores really not wanting to go above 4.9GHz.

The interesting thing I’ve discovered myself though through tweaking is a 5800x with PBO can do 4.6GHz all core and boost to 4.9GHz on two cores simultaneously which tbh is no bad thing that is the advertised boost of a 5950x with better all core frequencies (due to less cores, temps and power draw).
Gaming with PBO left on default setting i see all cores boosting to 4.8Ghz sometimes. Heavy all core boost to 4.6Ghz with single core boost to 4.85Ghz.
I like to say i’ll leave it alone with PBO on drfaults to let it do its think but i’ll probably change something again soon :rolleyes:

Associate
There may be something in that. All this messing with PBO and curve optimizer can get you is maybe 5-6% at best. And thats in bencmarks. Average use case, you will not notice.

Plus, seems latest bios versions are still ironing out many kinks. AGESA versions keep coming out. For me, last bios update inexplicably made stable settings that were previously crashing in games.

But you can't deny, Zen 3 gives you hours of tinkering, tweaking fun

Soldato
COD Warzone weapons loadout crashed, this time with PBO on default. Had a look and it seems its related to the Finn loadout which has a bug. I removed my loadout and it worked fine and didnt crash.
Restored my PBO settings with curve and not had the issue yet.

:mad: damned game bugs

Associate
Is there an idiots guide to using this? think i want to tinker with my 5900X and Asrock X570 Taichi, so far i just enabled PBO in the bios and stuck it on +200 or whatever and left it at that.

Soldato
Is there an idiots guide to using this? think i want to tinker with my 5900X and Asrock X570 Taichi, so far i just enabled PBO in the bios and stuck it on +200 or whatever and left it at that.
Your machine will probably crash with +200Mhz. It's not wise applying settings without having at least an educated guess at what that setting is used for / does. Have a read through of this thread and some Googling on PBO / Ryzen BIOS settings :)

Associate
Just put my 5800x in and pretty blown away so far. Gaming performance is a fair jump from the 3900x which was no slouch and with everything on auto in the BIOS I'm seeing every single core hit 5000.8mhz which isn't something I'm used to seeing on AMD...

Soldato
Just put my 5800x in and pretty blown away so far. Gaming performance is a fair jump from the 3900x which was no slouch and with everything on auto in the BIOS I'm seeing every single core hit 5000.8mhz which isn't something I'm used to seeing on AMD...

As Gerard pointed out many pages back in this thread, the maximum core clock of each core may hit 5Ghz but all cores running at 5Ghz at the same time is another thing. heavy benching all cores at 5Ghz at the same time is possible but probably on a very heavy overclock with a custom loop / very good closed loop. 5Ghz light load (gaming) is do-able, I get about this in COD Warzone, ~4950MHz all cores

For the most part, heavy benching like AIDA64 stability testing and Cinebench R20, all cores will run somewhere around 4.5 / 4.6Ghz. As per picture a bit further up, monitor 'Current' figures instead of 'Maximum' figures

Associate
As Gerard pointed out many pages back in this thread, the maximum core clock of each core may hit 5Ghz but all cores running at 5Ghz at the same time is another thing. heavy benching all cores at 5Ghz at the same time is possible but probably on a very heavy overclock with a custom loop / very good closed loop. 5Ghz light load (gaming) is do-able, I get about this in COD Warzone, ~4950MHz all cores

For the most part, heavy benching like AIDA64 stability testing and Cinebench R20, all cores will run somewhere around 4.5 / 4.6Ghz. As per picture a bit further up, monitor 'Current' figures instead of 'Maximum' figures

I'm going to stick to under volt as I did on my 3900x I think, no point all core for my use. Using a 360mm aio too, so temps are generally pretty low in my system.
Just had a good 2 hours on pubg though and cores were hitting 5ghz no problem.
I'll try cinebench later after I log out of work, but so far I'm impressed, as it's nice to see each core being equally capable. Not used to that as the 3900x had a good chiplet and the second was 'meh'.

Associate
Just be turning CO negative 25 all cores gave me a boost of nearly 300 pts in Cinebench R20, from around 6050 to 6330. Temps in idle dropped around 2-3c. It's stable and trying to boost the single core by tweaking multiple settings is just a hassle, so getting a decent boost by doing the bare minimum is fine by me.

Soldato
This might be obvious
Just be turning CO negative 25 all cores gave me a boost of nearly 300 pts in Cinebench R20, from around 6050 to 6330. Temps in idle dropped around 2-3c. It's stable and trying to boost the single core by tweaking multiple settings is just a hassle, so getting a decent boost by doing the bare minimum is fine by me.

is that -25 with a 0mhz offset?

Associate
So far I'm at -15 all core on curve optimiser, +100mhz. Single cores only hit 1.46v so might try the scalar and more mhz to see if I can squeeze some more out of it.
Cinebench results seem okay ish, 6046 multi and 646 single so far on day to day settings.

Associate
no not really you have to benchmark, watch the system monitors and decide how you want to tweak the BIOS. Rinse and repeat

Personally I would advise you wait for the Ryzen Clock Tuner app v2.1 that in theory will do this for you, eta probably around Easter time. Until then go with PBO=Enabled unless you want to have a play...

Back
Top Bottom