• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
I might replace my Samsung C34J79x with a RoG Swift PG32UQ or a RoG Strix XG43UQ depending on the price as I have completely given up on this generation of GFX cards. I have had the chance to get a founders 3090 a few times but its not worth the difference on the founders 3080 which doesn't have have enough VRAM for me.

So it looks like its another 1-2 years on my Asus Strix OC 1080Ti which is a bit depressing, mind you I might get shot of my 9900k before that as its a right howler on my WC setup when its getting proper use in Civ 6.

Associate
Not given up completely. I was adamant on getting the 6800xt over nVidia for the free sync, but the total lack of stock and huge price inflation has made me reconsider and look for a 3070. Almost managed to grab one yesterday, but the fact my address was out of date screwed me. I had it ready to checkout, but in the time I changed my address and went through checkout again, it was gone.

I’m currently running an RX580, but I need something to drive the Reverb G2 at full resolution.

Soldato
Anyone else just given up trying to look for a new GPU and resigned themselves to waiting for a while?
I didn't even bother looking in the first place... Everyone on here said they'd be sold out in seconds and would remain out of stock for ages, because that's how it always goes.
They weren't wrong, either.

Basically everywhere will likely continue to be out of stock until the 20k scalpers have made their fortunes, bought their private yachts and retired to the Caymans... whereupon the 4080Ti will be out and there'll be no point in buying the current graphics cards. Of course, by the quarter of the population who can't follow rules will have died of Covid, so there'll be far fewer competing for the new lot and prices might actually drop!

In the meantime, I'm sure your existing card will still work, right?

Soldato
Yep, gave up a couple of months ago, after the fiasco at OCUK trying to buy a 3080 at RRP and getting locked out of the transaction halfway through attempting purchase.

Now waiting until the 4 series of Nvidia cards arrive, and hoping (but not holding any breaths) that the world will be through covid, and stock will have improved.

Associate
Yep, I've given up.

My ageing 780 bit the dust last month. I'd love a 3060ti - and I've got the money banked, but I grabbed a 2nd hand 2060 from the members market last week. That will do for now.

Soldato
Not given up, was half tempted at the 3090FE last night, but ultimately not willing to fork out >1000 for 1 component. Working abroad for next 4 month now so in a way a bit lucky in the sense won't be itching to buy and by the time I get back surely GPUs may be "normal".... ish.

Just got bits for a computer sat around in the meantime.

Soldato
Had a 3090 but sold it at breakeven because I had a lemon of a card and could not justify such spending as I was not using it for productivity, now waiting for 3080 and realising it may take couple of months to get it.

I suppose I just need to start spending more time outside...wait we can't do that anymore...well damn.

Caporegime
i caved in mate and got a 3090 lol after all the time i said i wasnt getting one :D:D:D:D
Fair bud and with this lockdown, it makes perfect sense to say "**** it" and spoil yourself. I see they had the 3090 in stock on the NVidia site and I proper hovvered over the buy button but glad I didn't but pretty fed up myself now, so not sure how much longer I have in me.

Back
Top Bottom