Car battery warranty question

Soldato
Hi.

Anyone knowledgeable about the following

New car battery purchased November 2017 with 4 year warranty.

Fitted on Nissan Qashqai.

First thing in morning, starting vehicle seems to be bit sluggish, starts maybe 3rd to 4th time.

Rang motor factors who I purchased it from.

Advised following.
Bring battery in, they charge overnight and test in morning to check status of battery and replace if necessary.

Is that normal procedure, as would think. Checking on my car would give a similar reading

Just not sure.

Thanks

Soldato
Testing on your car doesn't rule out your car not charging it properly before you test, be it your driving/usage pattern or a failing alternator or something like that.

Soldato
They may try some kind of reconditioning charge on it, hence the requirement to charge it overnight. We had an issue with our Polo battery where it would drop to 11.8V over a couple of days. A reconditioning cycle on my CTEK charger now has it back at a steady 12.8V.

A reconditioning charge is different to charging off the alternator (higher voltage sustained for several hours) and actually bubbles the contents of the battery which promotes destratification of the electrolyte within the battery.

Soldato
OP
Checked on volt meter this morning. Car not been used for 24 hours or so.

12.3v

So put it on battery charger for a while. Thought if I do that. Then take a reading and take it off of charge and then take a reading tomorrow morning.
It will give me some kind of idea?

Soldato
Just taking a voltage reading will show nothing unfortunately - it'll probably have the right voltage but its how it behaves under load (starting pulls 150+ amps) that matters.
I've got a battery here I use for testing 12v kit that will hold 12.6 after a charge for weeks, but it's actually only able to put out 300CCA (cold cranking amps) with the tester I have, and even then it's for a very short amount of time before it's totally flat.

If you're looking for something new to have on the garage shelving, buy a BT100 battery tester from eBay. They have a test mode that does a high-draw test and will assess just how knackered the battery is.

Back
Top Bottom