Stellaris - Paradox Interactive

Permabanned
Which dlc's would be considered a must at this point or just better to get the rest that I am missing? (am missing : Federations, Lithoids Species Pack, Ancient Relics and MegaCorp)

Don't bother with Lithoids it's just rock people.
Megacorp, meh, only like the Ecumenopolis addition.
Federations is ok. The resolutions are cool but it needs work. All this 'I am the Senate' is a marketing gimmick. You don't need to be the leader you can just out vote everyone if you have the diplomatic weight. Gets to a point where the AI is too dumb to realise that not being a council member is better than being in breach of galactic law.

In other words they should leave, but they don't and suffer huge sanctions instead.

Ancient Relics is the best for me. The dig sites are cool and the relics are fairly OP.

This game really needs a manual for quick reference. The tutorial is rubbish and the game tells me that I have spare traits and something else to apply but I have no idea how to. I have around 20 hours of play so far but have no idea what I am doing and am just basically reacting to things around me.

Sounds like trait points you've gained through research, gene modification etc.

Go to your species and modify template. Alternatively could be civic points. Click the logo top left and go government reform and pick new civic.

Permabanned
What are people favourite origins?

I am enjoying Scion, getting 6k fallen empire fleet within first 2 years of games start helps, then 5k alloys few years later plus who will dare attack you.

Also lost colony is fun playing as a purifier. Met the original race who where psionic, got some of there pops in my empire then went synth ascension with my perks.

Now have psionic synth leaders which are amazing.

I have tried life-seeded (lol) which is probably one of the harder starts even though it sounds good.

Maybe try the ringworld start and see if it's more OP than the Scion.

Man of Honour
Sounds like trait points you've gained through research, gene modification etc.

Go to your species and modify template. Alternatively could be civic points. Click the logo top left and go government reform and pick new civic.

That's the ones. I was afraid to click on modify template and reform government in case I reset something. Many thanks for your help.

Associate
Don't bother with Lithoids it's just rock people.
Megacorp, meh, only like the Ecumenopolis addition.
Federations is ok. The resolutions are cool but it needs work. All this 'I am the Senate' is a marketing gimmick. You don't need to be the leader you can just out vote everyone if you have the diplomatic weight. Gets to a point where the AI is too dumb to realise that not being a council member is better than being in breach of galactic law.

In other words they should leave, but they don't and suffer huge sanctions instead.

Ancient Relics is the best for me. The dig sites are cool and the relics are fairly OP.

*** Nevermind, i should have looked online first :( ... ty all

"Silly question, but is it normal when not owning "Federations": to still have the ability to vote etc? (playing against AI)?
If it is normal even when you don't own the dlc, then what more is included if you own it? (or link for info)"

ty

Soldato
I just hope they do a bit more on tech diversity in the future. Would love unique weapons, abilities etc. At the moment it all gets very samey. It's why I still love playing Distant Worlds + mods.

Permabanned
*** Nevermind, i should have looked online first :( ... ty all

"Silly question, but is it normal when not owning "Federations": to still have the ability to vote etc? (playing against AI)?
If it is normal even when you don't own the dlc, then what more is included if you own it? (or link for info)"

ty

None of the DLC is bad by any means. Although the rock/plant species DLC is, well, take it leave it.

As for the Federations DLC, the core of that is the Galactic Council and Origins. The actual Federation Fleet stuff is expanded upon too, where you now have a President and various other bits and bobs.

I haven't tried Origins much, but people say it's worth buying just for that, and it's basically a bunch of unique starts of your race. Some good, some bad, this video has some examples I think.

Associate
None of the DLC is bad by any means. Although the rock/plant species DLC is, well, take it leave it.

As for the Federations DLC, the core of that is the Galactic Council and Origins. The actual Federation Fleet stuff is expanded upon too, where you now have a President and various other bits and bobs.

I haven't tried Origins much, but people say it's worth buying just for that, and it's basically a bunch of unique starts of your race. Some good, some bad, this video has some examples I think.

TY, I switch between Stellaris and Endless Space 2 (though overall prefer Stellaris), so very good info.

Associate
For the newest players to the game, I wanted to ask if you found the game to be interesting or not and/or if you had any problems with it that players here can help you with?

Stellaris has a high learning curve as we all can agree on I think and there are many times that if I go play something else for a month or more and return to this game, I find that I need a refresher course (several games)
to get back in to it again, but all well worth the effort imo.

Soldato
looking at picking this up in the summer sale. have played a lot of endless space and galactic civilisations, but not sure if they are even in the same league of complexity as this. Are there any specific DLC's that I should look at getting while they are all going cheap ?

Associate
The game is full of bugs at the moment, sector Ai is broken which is a big one as you have to micro all your planet, fleet management is broken and has been for ages.

it’s still playable for sure but but it does get tedious late game managing everything. Also multiplayer is broken due to the de syncs that come mid game, has 6 consecutive games ruined by desyncs.

Been there since February which is when Paradox fixed the late game performance.

It’s a really good game though, I have 1000+ hours in it. Just wish Paradox fixed the bugs instead of producing DLC.

Associate
OP
looking at picking this up in the summer sale. have played a lot of endless space and galactic civilisations, but not sure if they are even in the same league of complexity as this. Are there any specific DLC's that I should look at getting while they are all going cheap ?

I think the only 'essential' one to buy would be Utopia (actually cheaper on Fanatical than Steam at the moment according to isthereanydeal). After that it's a matter of taste/interest - as usual with Paradox. I have the Distant Stars and Ancient Relics story packs (as I really like the exploration/discovery elements of the game) and Federations to (hopefully) expand on diplomacy - not had much time to try it as yet. Not had the desire to build Death Stars/play as robots/play as a MegaCorp and so haven't got those DLCs (yet).

There is a wealth of mods that will allow you to further tailor the game as well - but best to play it unmodded to begin with (I think) in order to know what you're changing ;) The only exceptions would be the following which I now find essential QoL additions:
- No Edge Scrolling (solves moving the map every time you try and click on a menu - which you will do a LOT)
- Nice Text (I found the stock text blurry - this helps)
- UI Overhaul Dynamic (a much clearer and better laid out UI and menu system)

Soldato
For the newest players to the game, I wanted to ask if you found the game to be interesting or not and/or if you had any problems with it that players here can help you with?

Stellaris has a high learning curve as we all can agree on I think and there are many times that if I go play something else for a month or more and return to this game, I find that I need a refresher course (several games)
to get back in to it again, but all well worth the effort imo.

Came here to ask just a question!

Just picked this up as having a surgery on the 30th which could leave me off work in bed for a month!

First off:

- Any essential mods or DLCs that i have to get before my first game to fix bugs/issues?
- Tips for starting? Don't want to speed run it and would rather take my time but what am I going to do wrong at first which will ruin the game for me?
- General tips & tricks

Cheers :D

Associate

Just picked this up as having a surgery on the 30th which could leave me off work in bed for a month!

First off:

- Any essential mods or DLCs that i have to get before my first game to fix bugs/issues?
- Tips for starting? Don't want to speed run it and would rather take my time but what am I going to do wrong at first which will ruin the game for me?
- General tips & tricks

Personally I think all the addons add a good amount to the game if I was going to get the game now I would wait till the Xmas sale there normally a good discount going on the addons and the game itself in every sale.

Tips - Don't worry about going over your admin capacity as long as you don't go over by huge amounts your be fine
- Try to take systems that let you set up coke points with starbases.
- Get robot techs as soon as you can ( Basically free population growth )
- Robot empires can be very powerful early on
- Play without mods and get used to the normal game first

There are many more I am forgetting havn't played in a month but I still have my mod list here

DarkUI
UI Overhaul Dynamic
Tiny Outliner v2
UI Overhaul Dynamic + Tiny Outliner V2
Planetary Diversity
UI Overhaul Dynamic + Planetary Diversity
Planetary Diversity - More Arcologies
Planetary Diversity - Unique Worlds
Planetary Diversity - Exotic Worlds
Planetary Diversity - Shroud Worlds
Species Diversity
Legendary Worlds 2.8
Civics Expanded+
Gigastrutural Engineering & More
Precursor Story Pack
Arcaeology Story Pack
Expanded Events
More Events Mod
Machine Shipset
Coloured Icons

Associate

First off:

- General tips & tricks

dreigns: has several nice choices, but I think a bit much for somebody starting out (refer back to it later).....
---------

For myself, I would say to skip these (easier) - Necroids species pack, Federations, Lithoids species pack and MegaCorp ....

Get the rest as they are the best imo and there are a lot of good clips on how to play the game (try a medium sized map to start with).

Mods: Tiny Fleets, Tiny Outliner v2, UI Overhaul 1080p Plus and Light Borders + Swapp.

You should enjoy it and do ask questions if you need help (or check online).

:)

Last edited:
Associate
I've owned this game and all expansions for some time, I think I got it in the steam summer sale, I got it because it reminded me of Star Trek Armada 2, I just don't get it, I think I'll be picking this back up to play soon.

Soldato
I've owned this game and all expansions for some time, I think I got it in the steam summer sale, I got it because it reminded me of Star Trek Armada 2, I just don't get it, I think I'll be picking this back up to play soon.

have you tried the distant horizons Star Trek mod? You can play as a number of races, minor races etc in the entire galaxy or certain quadrant. It starts off basically at the beginning of enterprise before the federation is formed, it’s really quite good if you’re into your trek games.

Soldato
Been playing this lately with a group of friends and it's brilliant fun! Wish I'd gotten into it sooner frankly!

Most of us just have the vanilla game and the guy hosing has all the dlc so we all get access to it that way - I might end up buying it all on the next sale though as it's worth it!

Have gotten much better at it but am still far from the level my friends are at in competing with the late game AI almost toe to toe!

We had the Khan spawn in a game which took ages to deal with and we're now in the midst of a war in heaven between two almighty fallen empires that have awoken. Some crazy fleet power being thrown around the galaxy at the moment :eek::o

Associate
Really REALLY wanted to enjoy this but the mechanics were so poorly explained and I absolutely could not get to grips with playing a 4X using RtWP
Ended up going back to Endless Space 2 for scifi strategy play

Back
Top Bottom