Spec me a CCTV System

Associate
I usually use this one https://www.cop-eu.com/accessories/PFM700-E which is £60 and it’s good for 40m at 1080P.
Cheers, I'll take a look at that, just wanting something reliable.
Are there any smart tv apps / raspberry pi options for streaming cameras to the tv? Running HDMI seems a little crazy for occasional viewing... or just use Hik-Connect
Just wanting something simple, where I can do a quick switch between the TV inputs.

Soldato
Dahua do a complete video IP link. You plug the viewer into the network. It finds the camera IP addresses and then you plug that into your TV. It’s still £60 though. But yes, you can just enter the IP address of the NVR into a web browser on the TV and you can use it as if you were plugged in directly.

Associate
I've been a long time lurker on this thread, and am close to ordering some cameras. It looks like i will be going with hikvision / dahua POE (House is already wired for it) .I have a few questions though that i was hoping someone would be able to help with.
- At the start, do i need a NVR (I will get one ultimately)? I see some cameras have built in SD cards. Do these negate the need for a NVR.
- Does either hikvision / dahua link to the like of IFTTT (for the like of turning on outdoor lights). I have seen that dahua allows you do set virtual trip wires to activate alerts.
- If i got an NVR with smart detection, does that work in tandem, or instead of any smart detection / features on a camera (e.g. dahua wizcom)?
- Has anyone painted the cameras to better blend into the house? I would ideally like black over white.
- Do you need to order the mounts / back boxes, or can the cameras be mounted direct to the wall?

Soldato
I've been a long time lurker on this thread, and am close to ordering some cameras. It looks like i will be going with hikvision / dahua POE (House is already wired for it) .I have a few questions though that i was hoping someone would be able to help with.
- At the start, do i need a NVR (I will get one ultimately)? I see some cameras have built in SD cards. Do these negate the need for a NVR.

The SD cards are really intended for power cuts, so while you can use use them as the primary recording device, dint expect snappy performance when you log into the camera. The NVR is much better and if you’re prepared to leave a PC running you can use the recording software from your preferred vendor. Hikvision and Dahua have it free of charge, Blue Iris does cost money but it’s vendor agnostic.

- Does either hikvision / dahua link to the like of IFTTT (for the like of turning on outdoor lights). I have seen that dahua allows you do set virtual trip wires to activate alerts.

Yes, you can run relays off the cameras or you can control +5V on the back of most NVRs. Look for the terminal block on the back and check what outputs are supported.

- If i got an NVR with smart detection, does that work in tandem, or instead of any smart detection / features on a camera (e.g. dahua wizcom)?

Dahua Wizsense is generally built into the cameras but there are (more expensive) XVRs that will do the AI functions in the recorder allowing you to use even analogue cameras if you want to do that.

- Has anyone painted the cameras to better blend into the house? I would ideally like black over white.

We don’t paint them as it invalidates the warranty but we do wrap them. I tried to take a photograph but the cameras don’t really show up very well with a brick wrap on a brick wall!

- Do you need to order the mounts / back boxes, or can the cameras be mounted direct to the wall?

You can mount them direct on the wall but most of them have tails that you need to hide somewhere and a mount is the optimal way to do that.

Man of Honour

I helped a neighbour plasti-dip their cameras black, it worked really well in terms of hiding it from view but its a nightmare to do. You either paint it in situ after installation, or you have to paint it in bits then try and assemble later & nothing fits together with the extra layer of paint!

Associate
Does anyone have one of te Imou (Dahua?) Looc cameras (https://www.imoulife.com/product/detail/LOOC)?

We've had one set up in the front and we have an indoor one that we use to watch the dog when we're out. I just logged in and found the driveway one was offline and when I plugged in the indoor one, that is also 'offline' so I assume it's an issue with the overall network. Any ideas?

Soldato
Anyone used the Reolink Argus 3 cameras?

Looking for CCTV options for a terrace house, looking to plot a small camera just up by the backdoor to cover the garden and back door so don't really need anything too crazy.

It has a built in motion spotlight also which is handy.

Soldato
I finally got round to fitting the HIKvision 8 port NVR in December at my dad's house. It was a few years ago that I bought it (can't remember model name right now) and hooked up a few turret HIKvision cameras from Ali-Express (the ones since found to have the firmware flaw and can't be upgraded so the NVR isn't connected online). I am looking to get a few more cameras and wondered what to get now that part of the cameras are not able to be connected online (unless anyone has a way to secure/update them) without paying £££ for newer models that could be secured?

Soldato
Anyone used the Reolink Argus 3 cameras?

Looking for CCTV options for a terrace house, looking to plot a small camera just up by the backdoor to cover the garden and back door so don't really need anything too crazy.

It has a built in motion spotlight also which is handy.

I can’t see the batteries lasting long if the spotlight is any good. And you’re compromising everything because it’s battery powered and WiFi so unless you have an outdoor WiFi access point it’ll be marginal on communications with whatever you’re using to view it.

Reolink as a brand are fine. Just check what their support is like because their only physical presence in Europe is an office in a Holland. All the various national websites are all just for drop shipping orders from Holland. And they don’t keep spares or replacement stock so if something breaks they’ll replace it with the newest alternative which, in many ways, is great. I’ve heard of folks receiving complete new camera kits because the recorder on their old one broke. And all the feedback I’ve had is they don’t quibble over warranty returns. But shipping stuff back to Holland isn’t as easy today as it once was so maybe buy through Amazon on something to be use on the returns policy.

Soldato
I'm looking to get a CCTV system, currently looking at this - https://reolink.com/product/rlk8-820d4-a/ . Reviews seem good. I was going to install in the attic but for various reasons (lack of access via soffits, lack of power) I've decided to install the NVR in my home office. A few questions

1) I'm going to run the cable for the 4 cameras on exterior walls (old house, no cavity walls). I'd like to try and protect the cable if possible (unless overkill?), can anyone recommend some kind of exterior conduit/junction boxes which don't look awful?
2) The cameras themselves seem to have a fairly large cable coming out of them (split into 3 for PoE/reset switch/power lead). Can I mount them on something discrete to keep this hidden and only have the actual cat5 cable visible?

Soldato
1) I'm going to run the cable for the 4 cameras on exterior walls (old house, no cavity walls). I'd like to try and protect the cable if possible (unless overkill?), can anyone recommend some kind of exterior conduit/junction boxes which don't look awful?

Industry standard is 15/20/25mm conduit - profile of your choice. Often it’s easier to just tuck the cable in behind downpipes, especially if the cameras are on the corner of the building, where the downpipes are.

2) The cameras themselves seem to have a fairly large cable coming out of them (split into 3 for PoE/reset switch/power lead). Can I mount them on something discrete to keep this hidden and only have the actual cat5 cable visible?

Reolink sell a nice junction box that the tails go into. Unfortunately it does rather show up how inexpensive the camera systems are when you’re being asked to pay £20 for an empty (metal) box. Any IP rated junction box will do, really.

Soldato
Industry standard is 15/20/25mm conduit - profile of your choice. Often it’s easier to just tuck the cable in behind downpipes, especially if the cameras are on the corner of the building, where the downpipes are.

Reolink sell a nice junction box that the tails go into. Unfortunately it does rather show up how inexpensive the camera systems are when you’re being asked to pay £20 for an empty (metal) box. Any IP rated junction box will do, really.

Thank you. I've hummed and hawed between a full 4k NVR system, and getting something like Arlo Ultra or even just a few Reolink Argus 3 Solars. Think I'm fairly set on the NVR though now as I keep reading terrible reviews of the wifi battery cameras.

Associate
Does anyone know if BB will let anyone open a trade account, or are they selective? We are looking for some cameras for our house, but my wife has a retail business (nothing related to CCTV). Does anyone know if the BB trade discount is much?

Associate
Afternoon

Hoping to get some information's from some of you please I'm currently running a Ezviz smart security light camera but it's not great and the notifications are crazy even when cars drive up the road it notifies me etc even when you draw an outline on the garden only to detect and drive way!

I'm looking at the RLK8-820D4 camera set up maybe 3 cameras 2 on the front one high on lower and one down the side run of the house adding this with there NVR .

My questions are regarding this .

A, Can you keep the NVR in the Attic?

B, by keeping it in the attic i wanted to use a switch as atm i have a ethernet cable running from downstairs office up in the attic and down to my sons room . So planned to plug that into the switch and then run off that and ethernet tpo my sons room and ones to connect up to the NVR would that work ?

C, Can you assess the NVR from downstairs main desktop computer to make alteration and view the recordings if so how ?

D, I assume theses IP cameras are better with motion detection unlike the Ezviz smart security light camera and not going to alert when rain passes or the tree branches move or cars across the road driving pass ?

E, And is is easy enough to self install as planning to run the cables via the attic to the cameras .

Did like the look of the RLC-822A4K Smart Detection PoE Camera with 3X Optical Zoom but they don't seem out yet from what i can find ?

Sorry for so many questions and hope someone could advise me .

Thank you

Soldato
A, Can you keep the NVR in the Attic?

Yes, if it’s a nice dry attic and not full of combustible cardboard and textiles.

B, by keeping it in the attic i wanted to use a switch as atm i have a ethernet cable running from downstairs office up in the attic and down to my sons room . So planned to plug that into the switch and then run off that and ethernet tpo my sons room and ones to connect up to the NVR would that work ?

Yes.

C, Can you assess the NVR from downstairs main desktop computer to make alteration and view the recordings if so how ?

You type in the IP address of the NVR and a web interface (pretty much the same one you see on the video port out of the NVR) appears and you control it from that.

D, I assume theses IP cameras are better with motion detection unlike the Ezviz smart security light camera and not going to alert when rain passes or the tree branches move or cars across the road driving pass ?

Unlikely. You need some heavy-duty AI to do that. They might be a bit better (they’re making big claims) but if that’s what’s driving the change then Dahua AI with IVS is the better solution.

E, And is is easy enough to self install as planning to run the cables via the attic to the cameras .

Well, if you’re capable of poking a cable rod through a soffit while standing on a ladder and you’re happy to drill a few holes here and there to poke the cables through. Yes. It’s well within the domain of most DIY people.

In terms of what I use and specify myself, Dahua AI SMD+ and WizSense cameras are pretty much the best you’ll get under £500 for a camera. I particularly like the Dahua TiOCs which have the LEDs for full colour night vision. Others are launching copycat products but the Dahua is still the sweet spot. More expensive? Certainly. You’re looking at £140 per camera and then £200-ish for a suitable NVR but you’ll have excellent images and very few false alerts.

Associate
Yes, if it’s a nice dry attic and not full of combustible cardboard and textiles.

Yes.

You type in the IP address of the NVR and a web interface (pretty much the same one you see on the video port out of the NVR) appears and you control it from that.

Unlikely. You need some heavy-duty AI to do that. They might be a bit better (they’re making big claims) but if that’s what’s driving the change then Dahua AI with IVS is the better solution.

Well, if you’re capable of poking a cable rod through a soffit while standing on a ladder and you’re happy to drill a few holes here and there to poke the cables through. Yes. It’s well within the domain of most DIY people.

In terms of what I use and specify myself, Dahua AI SMD+ and WizSense cameras are pretty much the best you’ll get under £500 for a camera. I particularly like the Dahua TiOCs which have the LEDs for full colour night vision. Others are launching copycat products but the Dahua is still the sweet spot. More expensive? Certainly. You’re looking at £140 per camera and then £200-ish for a suitable NVR but you’ll have excellent images and very few false alerts.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to this with al this information .

I'm going to take a look then at the Dahua I'll be honest yeah the notifications are driving me and my wife up the wall with the other one and the pic at night is no good really .

With the full colour night vision led are they bright etc and on all night ?

Where can you buy these from just did a google search and didn't find much and also what NVR would you recommend then to use on the Dahua there own one 4 channels ?

Yeah going up the ladder and drilling whole though the wall or fascia won't be an issue i was more worried about al the set up etc of the camera in the system.

Thank you once more for your time .

Soldato
The only reseller brave enough to sell the public appears to be BroadBandBuyer and you need to pretend to be a business. Or you can send me a trust message and I'll put you in touch with someone.

Dahua are the world's second largest surveillance camera manufacturer and they do so many NVRs it would make your head spin.

Yes, the LEDs are on all night and yes, they are about as bright as dim street lighting. But if you're happy with black and white night time images they also have plenty of IR cameras as well. The feature you are looking for is called IVS - Intelligent Video Surveillance. Do you want bullet cameras, domes or turrets? They all have their good and bad points.

Do you want/need 4K/8MP or would you be happy with 4 or 5MP?

The reason I really like the TiOC cameras is that you get a full colour image at night. Once you've seen the difference you wouldn't accept anything else. Infra Red night vision cameras pretty much automatically blank out any registration number plates and once a person gets up close enough to the camera to identify them, their face is usually whited-out as well. So actually, they're of less use than the full colour ones.

The Dahua app is also very good. You can choose exactly what you get notified for and set time bands when you do or don't get notifications. It's not perfect but it's better than most other systems on the market.

Associate
The only reseller brave enough to sell the public appears to be BroadBandBuyer and you need to pretend to be a business. Or you can send me a trust message and I'll put you in touch with someone.

Dahua are the world's second largest surveillance camera manufacturer and they do so many NVRs it would make your head spin.

Yes, the LEDs are on all night and yes, they are about as bright as dim street lighting. But if you're happy with black and white night time images they also have plenty of IR cameras as well. The feature you are looking for is called IVS - Intelligent Video Surveillance. Do you want bullet cameras, domes or turrets? They all have their good and bad points.

Do you want/need 4K/8MP or would you be happy with 4 or 5MP?

The reason I really like the TiOC cameras is that you get a full colour image at night. Once you've seen the difference you wouldn't accept anything else. Infra Red night vision cameras pretty much automatically blank out any registration number plates and once a person gets up close enough to the camera to identify them, their face is usually whited-out as well. So actually, they're of less use than the full colour ones.

The Dahua app is also very good. You can choose exactly what you get notified for and set time bands when you do or don't get notifications. It's not perfect but it's better than most other systems on the market.

Thanks again for the reply

I'll have to do some more research on this then and possibly open a trade account on BroadBandBuyer then . I was looking at a turret camera to put on the front maybe one high and one further down in the outside porch area .

Only thing that puts me off with the night light like the colour view is a light on al night though saying that it might be better for the one further down as we have a light on in the porch during the night..

Is there a huge amount of difference between the 5mb and 4k camera keep reading things some say there is others say there's not ?

Thanks again for your time

Soldato
@Matrix - some pictures of my two rear camera's. The first picture is the one that WJA96 recommends (recommended it to me too - can't fault it). The second picture is a cheaper one which does not have the built in LED light but is able to stay in full colour mode (actually I forced it to, instead of switching to IR) due to the dim street lighting by a parking area next to my garden.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34346624/

Back
Top Bottom