• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why have even older cards disappeared?

Permabanned
It's funny to think though that if you bought a 5 year old card when the 8800 GTX came out, you'd have been buying a GeForce 3 which was unimaginably crap by that point whereas the RX 580 is still basically okay today.

Really?!
The RX 580 is a rubbish card - no ray-tracing, no VRS, old feature set, no PCIe 4, power hungry, expensive, on old inefficient process, absolutely nothing even close to ok in it.

Soldato
It's funny to think though that if you bought a 5 year old card when the 8800 GTX came out, you'd have been buying a GeForce 3 which was unimaginably crap by that point whereas the RX 580 is still basically okay today.

welcome to Moores law

geforce 3 process node: 150nm
geforce 8 process node: 90nm

geforce 3 transistors: 57million
geforce 8 transistors: 680million (12 times increase in transistors in 5 years!)

RX580 transistors: 5.7billion
RX6800 transistors: 26.8billion (just 4.5 times increase in transistors over 5 years!)

that's why the RX580 is still ok today, if history repeated it self - the RX6800 should have 70billion transistors making it nearly 3 times faster than the actual card is)

Really?!
The RX 580 is a rubbish card - no ray-tracing, no VRS, old feature set, no PCIe 4, power hungry, expensive, on old inefficient process, absolutely nothing even close to ok in it.

What he meant to say is the RX580 can still run some games at 60fps today but the geforce 3 could not do so in 2008. The geforce 3 was already struggling just 3 years later in 2004 - look here, running half life 2 in 2004 on 720p not max settings no anti aliasing at 20fps

Last edited:
Soldato
welcome to Moores law
What he meant to say is the RX580 can still run some games at 60fps today but the geforce 3 could not do so in 2008. The geforce 3 was already struggling just 3 years later in 2004 - look here, running half life 2 in 2004 on 720p not max settings no anti aliasing at 20fps

It's more like, goodbye Moore's law! :D Or at least Moore's law is taking a bit more of a breather in its old age.

But yeah that's exactly it. The RX 480/580 might struggle in some cases, but it can at least run pretty much every game coming out today at 1080p with like medium settings and have it be playable. Control, Cyberpunk? Sure why not? I've seen it done. I'd say they do pretty well if you bought it in 2017 for sub-£200. There's nothing really massively worth upgrading to at the same price point yet (even assuming we're in the parallel universe with good stock levels and cards being sold around msrp), which is another sign of how things have stagnated somewhat. Maybe the RX 6500 XT or RTX 3050 (and several months for supply to catch up) will change that.

Soldato
Really?!
Really?!

I'd hardly call a card like that useless which is what you're inferring, its everything you said, I'll give you that, but when it was "appropriately priced", it was, and still is, a viable option for 1080p gaming, and was a cheaper alternative to the gtx 1060 which it matched and sometimes bettered. And what is anyone gonna buy when thats the only thing available?

Soldato
I think the reality is as well, if you look at the steam hardware survey, the most popular card still on there is still the GTX 1060. Followed by the monstrously high end er... GTX 1050 Ti.

And as long as that's the case, game developers are going to support a reasonably good experience in cards of that kind of performance level, which is exactly where the RX580 sits as well.

This has interesting consequences because it kind of implies these beasts of graphics cards at the very top end are probably being held back a bit by developers having to focus their efforts on making sure it runs okay for the bulk of the market, which is really still the 2016 or so mid-range.

On the other side of the coin, it probably means less e-waste as people use their cards for longer which is actually a good thing, although this is a trade off because those older cards are less energy efficient.

Associate
My RX580 was bought when there were some loony deals around 3 years or so ago.

Think I paid £100 retail.

Still a great GPU but has there ever been a time where you could make a profit on a 3 year old GPU, would easily sell for 50% more than I bought it for!

Soldato
My RX580 was bought when there were some loony deals around 3 years or so ago.

Think I paid £100 retail.

Still a great GPU but has there ever been a time where you could make a profit on a 3 year old GPU, would easily sell for 50% more than I bought it for!
Even last year there were some great deals early in the year. I bought two RX 570s last March for £55 and £57 on Ebay, from a seller who was selling tons of "factory refurbished" Sapphire 560s, 570s and 580s. People are paying well over twice that now. I think the biggest example of lunacy I've seen so far is somebody who paid £325 for a GTX 1660. Not even the Super.

Associate
Back during the first mining craze that killed the GPU market 2-3 years ago, I had to stump up £300 odd for a new RX580 here at ocuk. Unfortunately I had no spare GPU suitable at the time, and so it was grab it or not be able to do anything at all. So was forced to grab the cheapest viable GPU available, and that was the RX580. Would have loved to have grabbed a decent deal for it or for something better (in relation to its original pricing that is, ocuk already gave us a 75% price, going from 400 to 300), but it was what it was back then.

Personally, the RX580 in my setup (undervolted, Noctua fans, 1080 or 1440 max res, as quiet as other fans at 600rpm or less in the system at night whilst gaming) is good, but it can be better. But of course, will require prices to come down first from where they are... Which I guess will be another 2 years time... Ah well.

Soldato
Used my RX 480 for months while waiting for a new GPU and it was still a very capable card at 1080p. It's basically the new console base target (Xbox Series S, minus DX12U). All the DX12U features are mostly irrelevant at this point in time, we're still getting old-gen games essentially & even VRS has not given much of a boost in the games I've tried it (with the new card). Fact is we'll get a new generation of cards by the time that changes.

Associate
Really?!

If it was priced where it should be, which is around the £130-£150 mark, its a nice 1080p budget card. At £300 its horrendous though obviously.

Soldato
Soldato
How much would a GTX 1080 MSI GAMING be priced for without these stock shortages?
Seeing as they go on the bay for near £300 right now, maybe £150 without shortages?

Back
Top Bottom