• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3070 Owners Thread

Associate
Hi

I have managed to get 3070 FE. I think this was a good purchase as prices are obviously crazy. Wanted 3080 or AMD 6800 XT but so far very happy with it (saw 6800XT Red Devil LE for £950 today...)

Question: I can overclock 3070 FE using Afterburner 109% power, +80 CORE, + 800 Mem but fans are much louder compared to stock - stock is pretty much silent and I love it this way. With OC I hear fans - still it generates much less noise than my old 580 Nitro LE.

What do you think about overclocking memory only by +500 without raising power limit or with power +102% so it stays very quiet. Has anyone tried to do that?

Associate
Look at the clocks you are getting under load, they should boost to in the 2k ballpark, depending on card/pcb and the power limit you set. To maximise performance I would suggest cross flashing a bios with a greater power limit as all 3070s are power starved. Memory seems to have no significant effect on power usage and +1000 seems to be the typical OC. Personally I use a 120% BIOS @ 123% (120 + 3% thanks to MSI mobo delivering extra current to the PCIe slot.) It makes no difference to noise in my case, my Palit turns fans off until under load and then it's much the muchness. Just refer to the tier list first to get an idea of how much extra power you should be fine giving to your card.
If you are really concerned with efficiency and want the card to run as quiet as possible, I would suggest adjusting the voltage curve to under volt the card. You will sacrifice some performance for a big efficiency gain. The guide is for 80/90 but will work fine for 70s, just be aware that being a smaller chip, it will lose relatively more performance as frequency drops.
Hope this gets you started, 3070 is a fun card to play with.

Last edited:
Soldato
Received a Gigabyte Gaming OC and MSI Ventus 3X 3070s today. @Kaapstad, please put me down for the Ventus :)

https://imgur.com/a/NHo0teW

Initial impressions were that I was shocked at how big the coolers were relative to the cards. Both were longer and thicker than the current GTX1070 FTW they're replacing. Was a shame that they didn't have more LEDs on them though! The FTW cooler looks way way better.

I got around to playing some MSFS at 4k and with all settings on Ultra. The settings were completely unplayable on the 1070. It seemed to average around 12FPS with lots of variability.

Both 3070s managed to average about 25 FPS and maintained 63 degrees without my case fans even turning on! Very very impressed with the performance and silence of these cards. I think I'll still be aiming for a 3080 because the minimum frames dropped from time to time while landing in London. Also wasn't adequate performance for flying around London below maybe 2-3,000 ft as I would regularly get frame drops. Not unplayable, but also not what I want. The 30% extra performance the 3080 will bring will be much appreciated. VRAM usage was maxed out for me pretty much all the time.

On another note, absolutely blown away with the quality of MSFS coming from X-Plane 11. They've really done some amazing things with the graphics, and flying around with much more realistic buildings is an absolute joy!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got it in my computer now. I actually love the coooler! It's so bright and colourful.

Only thing that puts me off is the 2 year warranty. Have to say, it looks super gaudy when it's not lit up

looks like a guitar hero sponsored card. I don’t care what cards look like really but it’s marmite for sure

rrn

rrn

Associate
Hi, I have an EVGA 3070 xc3 Ultra and am looking at reducing the coil whine on it. I have noticed undervolting helps but crashes Heaven randomly. Can anyone recommend the proper settings to use in afterburner to reduce the coil whine as much as possible?

Associate
Hey everyone! I am a proud owner of a ASUS DUAL OC 3070 since Monday, and I love the look, and the games finally look great - but I have been having some strange behaviours.
When typing on word the screen tears a little bit once in a while, like a small graphical glitch. Also when I press windows key and tab (seeing all the different windows open) it behaves properly only on my main screen, while on the 2nd and 3rd it gives a black background and does not show the open programs.
Did anyone encounter similar problems? The driver I have installed is the latest (461.40)

Associate
Hey everyone! I am a proud owner of a ASUS DUAL OC 3070 since Monday, and I love the look, and the games finally look great - but I have been having some strange behaviours.
When typing on word the screen tears a little bit once in a while, like a small graphical glitch. Also when I press windows key and tab (seeing all the different windows open) it behaves properly only on my main screen, while on the 2nd and 3rd it gives a black background and does not show the open programs.
Did anyone encounter similar problems? The driver I have installed is the latest (461.40)

Can't say I've had any issues on Fe. Have read about driver issues might be worth trying 460.79/ 89

Associate
Hello all I have a 3070 ventus 3x oc, however I've flashed my vbios to the Asus tuf oc I recommend this to anyone with the same card going from 220w power limit to 270 and overclocking makes a world of difference

Back
Top Bottom