BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Thanks for the help everyone. The TP-Link WD-9970 v2 router is definitely to blame.

I switched to the Plusnet router, and when I max out the upload I can still browse and YouTube works if you don't go too crazy with the resolution. My pings have also dropped from 1200ms+ to ~18ms. This is all being done over the Ubiquiti AP AC Lite access point.

You couldn't be on a work conference call or use the Apple TV whilst uploading, but at least the connection is usable now.

Soldato
Looking promising for FTTP. A number of Opernreach vans on the estate and engineers walking around, looks like the surveying something. How does it work with FTTP. Do they "turn off" the copper or do you get a choice to stay on it or go FTTP? Rest assured I'll be on FTTP as soon as it's available!

Soldato
After it's installed you'll have fibre to the house, you can get the 'FTTC' speeds over this fibre and obviously the higher speeds too.

Ok, so they install it to every property and then you continue as you were or pay for the faster services. Makes sense. Our LLU operators are Sky, TalkTalk, Vodafone and Zen. I'm currently out of contract with Plusnet. Seems PLusnet don't currently offer FTTP so I'll have to go with someone else. I'm presuming BT will be offering something as I'm not keen on Talk Talk etc. and Zen, whilst good seem a bit expensive.

Man of Honour
Ok, so they install it to every property and then you continue as you were or pay for the faster services. Makes sense. Our LLU operators are Sky, TalkTalk, Vodafone and Zen. I'm currently out of contract with Plusnet. Seems PLusnet don't currently offer FTTP so I'll have to go with someone else. I'm presuming BT will be offering something as I'm not keen on Talk Talk etc. and Zen, whilst good seem a bit expensive.
They'll only install it if you order it as it'll involve pulling a fibre to your house and installing an ONT.

Caporegime

That list of LLU sounds like it comes from Samknows. Firstly, LLU isn't relevant for FTTC or FTTP, and secondly, Samknows is incredibly out of date now. The Openreach and BT Wholesale checkers should be used to check what services are available to you.

Soldato
They'll only install it if you order it as it'll involve pulling a fibre to your house and installing an ONT.

So those that don't order it stay on copper then?

That list of LLU sounds like it comes from Samknows. Firstly, LLU isn't relevant for FTTC or FTTP, and secondly, Samknows is incredibly out of date now. The Openreach and BT Wholesale checkers should be used to check what services are available to you.

It does come from Samknows, spot on! Ok cheers, the checkers won't tell me much for now. I expect they won't get updated until it's close to being installed. So anyone that has the ability can offer FTTP over the Openreach infrastructure?

Caporegime
Any ISP that wants to provide services via Openreach is able to do so. Normally when a new area goes live for Openreach FTTP the providers using BT Wholesale are the first to be able to offer the service, it can take a while for other providers to update their systems or put the network backhaul in place, so TalkTalk (and their resellers), Sky and Vodafone may take a bit longer to offer a service.

Soldato
Any ISP that wants to provide services via Openreach is able to do so. Normally when a new area goes live for Openreach FTTP the providers using BT Wholesale are the first to be able to offer the service, it can take a while for other providers to update their systems or put the network backhaul in place, so TalkTalk (and their resellers), Sky and Vodafone may take a bit longer to offer a service.

Thanks, I wondered how the whole thing operated. I'll have to see what the pricing is like but I hear BT isn't too bad these days and Plusnet is owned by them too.

Man of Honour
PlusNet have consistently been the cheapest FTTC provider for me in recent years, especially if you factor in wanting BT Sport which actually works out cheaper than getting it through BT themselves. Sadly I'm out of contract at the moment and paying silly prices as I'm due to move to a VM area soon.

Soldato
BT are fine and once you take into account any offers, gift cards, cashback offers etc. are amongst the cheapest providers.

For low tier g.fast/FTTP taking into account all of the above Sky have become stupidly cheap, headline price is £27/m for 145Mbit/line/calls with boost, add in cashback and it's hard to beat. That said BT are a lot more willing to throw money at issues to make problems go away when they mess up, Sky seem less inclined to do so, but they made less mistakes and were easier to deal with.

Soldato
I had a look on the BT Wholesale checker and my number actually shows 330/30 FTTP as "Available". Reading around that seems to be a default although some areas have been stuck on that and don't have gigabit available.

Ignore me that's just the On Demand FTTP so not relevant to me.

Last edited:
Soldato
So this happened a few weekends ago, been eagerly watching the BT site ever since for it to show live... They have done the whole estate so guessing there is quite a lot of jointing work to do before it shows up. Cant wait!

https://pasteboard.co/JKXA1lD.png

Dont get too excited, there going to have a huge backlog to catch up on. They paused all the inside work during lockdown and will have at least Jan and Feb to catch up on.

Associate
So this happened a few weekends ago, been eagerly watching the BT site ever since for it to show live... They have done the whole estate so guessing there is quite a lot of jointing work to do before it shows up. Cant wait!

https://pasteboard.co/JKXA1lD.png
That looks like the ropes, not actual fibre.

They have one team come out and clear the ducts and pull ropes through, then another team will come out with big reels of fibre and use the ropes to pull it through.

They are in the process of doing this around my parents place and where I work for FTTP.

Associate
That looks like the ropes, not actual fibre.

They have one team come out and clear the ducts and pull ropes through, then another team will come out with big reels of fibre and use the ropes to pull it through.

They are in the process of doing this around my parents place and where I work for FTTP.

Nope, can clearly see the CBT in the picture... I actually have a video which shows them fitting it to the mounting pole inside the footway box.

They were using the ropes to pull in the CBT tails to the splitter down the road.

Back
Top Bottom