BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Nope, can clearly see the CBT in the picture... I actually have a video which shows them fitting it to the mounting pole inside the footway box.

They were using the ropes to pull in the CBT tails to the splitter down the road.
Ah yeah didn’t notice it on the smaller screen earlier. Just saw the blue ropes. Hopefully the switch on won’t be too far away. Amazes me how long these things sit in a “test” phase.

Anyone been having issues with youtube videos playing really slow last few days? everything else is fine except this.
When I’ve had that issue in the past it’s due to an isp bottleneck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Ah yeah didn’t notice it on the smaller screen earlier. Just saw the blue ropes. Hopefully the switch on won’t be too far away. Amazes me how long these things sit in a “test” phase.

They did another new estate in the area and that is live already so hopefully wont be long, then another wait for an install appointment! :(

Associate
Anybody know what's best reliable way of telling what top speed my address could get with BT. I currently have Plusnet and I have 80/20 with them. My contract has expired and can either stick with them or get something else. uSwitch shows me BT fastest fibre as 67mb but when I go to BT site it gives me option of fibre 250. Is uSwitch wrong ?

Associate
USwitch doesn't seem to take in to account G.Fast which is what Fibre 100 and Fibre 250 are.

Pop your land-line or address details in here for most accurate details about what's on offer

www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com

You have to be within 300m of the cab to get G.Fast
After running that it seems I can get Fiber 250 which is great. Not just to find out if can cancel my Plusnet account, seems my wife renewed it on friday without telling me lol

Associate
If you are within 14 days you’ll be able to cancel the renewal.
Just had a look and you are right. Now big question is how long would it take for BT conection to go live. Would it take longer than two weeks and would I end up without internet lol. Work from home at the moment so that would be a disaster :o

Soldato
I had my G.Fast installed during lockdown, Openreach guy was safe and sound. The dates I had when ordering were from 5 days onwards so not two week, I just chose the date that I moved in lol

Remember, an engineer will need to attend as they change your standard VDSL faceplate for a specific G.Fast faceplate and he'll need to nip to the local cab to change your line to the higher frequency stuff.

Also, if you plan to not use the BT supplied HomeHub 6, you'll need a G.Fast modem to accompany your router if it doesnt support G.Fast and you'll lose landline ability as their supplied landline is via SIP off the HomeHub

See my post yesterday showing my G.Fast speed - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34480772

Last edited:
Associate
I had my G.Fast installed during lockdown, Openreach guy was safe and sound. The dates I had when ordering were from 5 days onwards so not two week, I just chose the date that I moved in lol

Remember, an engineer will need to attend as they change your standard VDSL faceplate for a specific G.Fast faceplate and he'll need to nip to the local cab to change your line to the higher frequency stuff.

Also, if you plan to not use the BT supplied HomeHub 6, you'll need a G.Fast modem to accompany your router if it doesnt support G.Fast and you'll lose landline ability as their supplied landline is via SIP off the HomeHub

See my post yesterday showing my G.Fast speed - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34480772
Thanks for all the info but decided not to go through with it as earliest appointment is in April. Will just stick with Plusnet for now and hopefully when this contract expires BT will have FTTP ready for my address.

Caporegime
Just make something up about how you're moving abroad in 3 months or something if they ask, it shuts the conversation down instantly and they will stop trying to sell you on a renewal.

Associate
Just make something up about how you're moving abroad in 3 months or something if they ask, it shuts the conversation down instantly and they will stop trying to sell you on a renewal.
I told them due to Covid and working from home my work will organise internet for me so until than can they put me back on rolling contract. Lets see what they reply with. Thanks again for the idea :)

Associate
Got to phone bt retentions tomorrow as they’ve stuck the price of the broadband I was on up by about £8.00. This was because my contract came to an end. Was paying £33.00 for 36 meg and no extras. What’s the best I can hope to get atm? I’m annoyed as I had a letter from them in December saying if I didn’t want to change to do nothing.

Soldato
For up to 40mb FTTC you can pay as little as £19 a month after quidco/cashback deals.

Plusnet is £23 and quidco has £48 cash back (£19 over 12 month contract).
TalkTalk is £22 and quidco had £64 back back (£18.72 over 18 month contract).

Associate
Is there a number to call for retentions? Just tried to get through and didn’t have a lot of luck. We’re trying to push halo package on me which I didn’t want. On fibre 1 and calls, was paying £33 for that. Just want that reduced really.

Back
Top Bottom