1998 3dfx merges with Videologic

Soldato
Thanks for the memories! Happy days gaming with the Voodoo cards.
Loved a 3DFX card. I first got into PCs in 1996, just before the 3DFX cards hit the market. Already, my machine was an upgrade on the Amiga I'd come from, especially with games like Quake (original) which I couldn't get enough of. Then I slotted one of these bad boys in, and patched Quake, and the difference was just staggering. Game changing at the time. I had all the early 3DFX cards. Happy days! :)
Are you me?
My first 3DFX was a Voodoo Rush that was in my PII 266 and it was pretty naff. I upgraded to a Voodoo 2 and then 3 from there and honestly the rest is a blur.
I remember playing Quake II with the 3DFX cards and the coloured lighting blew me away. I actually didn't know 3DFX folded the way it did, interesting reading.

Kinda on topic, but more of a "what if?" / retrospective question:

In 2001, someone wanted my Voodoo 4 4500 in exchange for a Geforce 2 MX. Well he said he wanted my Voodoo for £45 and he would sell his Geforce for £45, so it was essentially a swap. Both cards had 32MB and he said that the 2 cards were more-or-less the same. Did I get an ok deal and were the cards almost the same? I was more naive 20 years ago and I can't find them on benchmarking sites, so thought I'd check here :)

Permabanned
Kinda on topic, but more of a "what if?" / retrospective question:

In 2001, someone wanted my Voodoo 4 4500 in exchange for a Geforce 2 MX. Well he said he wanted my Voodoo for £45 and he would sell his Geforce for £45, so it was essentially a swap. Both cards had 32MB and he said that the 2 cards were more-or-less the same. Did I get an ok deal and were the cards almost the same? I was more naive 20 years ago and I can't find them on benchmarking sites, so thought I'd check here :)

Probably not much in it, I seem to remember different cards were better with different games/engines.

It did remind me of the days of using third party drivers with your graphics cards to get a little extra performance. Anybody remember Omega Drivers?

Cheers Theophany. Like you said, it was probably a particular game on why they wanted my Voodoo card. The main thing for me though is that Final Fantasy VII and VIII flew flawlessly on both of those cards. I don't remember the Omega drivers though as it was early days of PC/gaming for me.

Back
Top Bottom