Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
On the back of what reddit has done I learnt there's more than "buy low and sell high"
Yes, I did think the stock market was only that. I've learnt that there's borrow stocks, you can earn $xxx for every $x over a share price there is. My head is blown and currently struggling to understand it all.

Short selling is pretty straightforward, wait until you start reading about the myriad various derivatives products :p

When I was working in investment banks I used to understand it all....but it's been a while now, probably a whole new breed of products these days!

Soldato
On the back of what reddit has done I learnt there's more than "buy low and sell high"
Yes, I did think the stock market was only that. I've learnt that there's borrow stocks, you can earn $xxx for every $x over a share price there is. My head is blown and currently struggling to understand it all.

You don't need to understand it all :), much of the more complex stuff is closer to gambling for many & shorter the time frame, closer it is for most to be like gambling. The recent easy money methods probably won't last long. Markets adapt, as will hedge fund managers.

All the recent focus and quick easy money has me now more concerned we're heading into a bear market as stuff like this usually happens at market tops. Kind of expected in the USA given its huge rally this year but would be pretty catastrophic for the UK give the FTSE has been lagging behind now for years. Even have colleagues dabbling now who have never shown an interest before, buying whatever **** stock is on the move :p.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Been caught out by fomo before. Usually ends up buying at top.
This is definitely the top. So those buying now who may be amateurs may be in for a tough time.

I'm genuinely considering sticking to buying and selling lego sets. I seem to do better than on stocks

Associate
yea some a lot of my stuff dropped since GME.
one is down almost 13% (d7g)and googling I find no reason why apart from q4 earnings is next month but it's still a full month off and the company always had growth anyway.

they literally announced nothing and drop from 3.1 > 2.7 after reaching highs of 3.3 in previous days
I expect it to climb back to 3 since I find no actual news.

I see BP went down because they suck at going green compared to shell also.

I said in here last week they weren't going green fast enough for my liking, seems I was right :/

maybe the share price drop for BP maks them re-evaluate because they obviously know the reason is SHELL spent more on green energy and will transform faster

Oh well, hopefully my funds will go back up when this GME settles down. I'm in them longterm anyway so will see how it turns out.

Soldato
Been caught out by fomo before. Usually ends up buying at top.
This is definitely the top. So those buying now who may be amateurs may be in for a tough time.

I'm genuinely considering sticking to buying and selling lego sets. I seem to do better than on stocks

I think this is just a total freak set of circumstances, driven by hype/noise etc - It's a small punt that I can afford to loose in my pension.

98% of the rest of my SIPP/ISA holdings are long term fund/stock holdings. Ain't going to make me retire early but it's a bit of fun for me.

Others on Reddit are WAY too deep in with rent cheques/credit card cash advances etc - terrifying stuff

Caporegime
People gambling on a **** stock with low liquidity? :D. Pump and dumps moved to stonks

I'm genuinely shocked. Its skyrocketed and not crashed during close when big boys have their say.

I get tesla and how, although expensive, could be justified.

I even get the hype with gme. That's what social media can do now. But I fully expected people to be taking profits now.

Caporegime
I think this is just a total freak set of circumstances, driven by hype/noise etc - It's a small punt that I can afford to loose in my pension.

98% of the rest of my SIPP/ISA holdings are long term fund/stock holdings. Ain't going to make me retire early but it's a bit of fun for me.

Others on Reddit are WAY too deep in with rent cheques/credit card cash advances etc - terrifying stuff

Really?
That's scary. Going to be a lot of hurt.
It seems with GME you're either going to make a killing or take a massive hit.

Going in now is, in my opinion, absolutely crazy

It's not going to double.. But it could easily half. In a day. The risk is not worth the reward

Caporegime
I'm
What is to stop wsb literally doing this over and over with other stock; they have such a large following now they could pick anything and pump the price?

This is what the crypto space is like.
Unfortunately you have to contend with the btc to gbp price too

It hasn't gone away.

It lines the pockets of the organisers.
You plan to pump stock X. Buy into it. Realese the hype train. Sell at whatever you want.

Back
Top Bottom