Northern Lights in October? Where to go?

Soldato
im part of a facebook group from orkney that post regular shots of the lights. this one was 4 days ago from outside their back door. the plan is to go up there at some point.

qF3Ifzr.jpg

Soldato
Svalbard :)

edit: sorry just noticed it’s a necro thread.

No it isnt :D

I was thinking Tromso, i doubt i can get to Svalbard!

Ultimately i would just like to know if its a good time to go say vs February. I appreciate the lights are not guranteed, i would just like a suitable chance based on weather etc.

Soldato
I’ve been to Iceland and Norway(Tromso). Iceland is a lovely place but it was too cloudy everyday to see the lights.

Saw them 3 times in 5 days in Tromso so i would go there again given the choice.

a truely magical experience. It is expensive though, i think a pint was around £8-10 although a few bars do happy hours which we made good use of. We also did reindeer sledding in the middle of nowhere which was surreal.
On the night where we did a specific northern lights hunt we stopped off on a beach and had a campfire dinner which was amazing but the lights didn’t show that early.

JM1oBhv.jpg

JM1oBhv.jpg

How did you get to Tromso?

Associate
Hi all,

It's my 40th in October and one thing I've always wanted to do is see the Northern Lights...

I've booked holiday off work at the middle of October with the intention of trying to go somewhere I can see the northern lights.

Has anyone done this before? What's a good way to do it? I'm considering just the Mrs and I, but maybe take our three kids too if it's not prohibitively expensive.

Where is the best place to go and is October even a viable time to potentially see this phenomenon?

Cheers,

G
Quote:
"Best months to see the Northern Lights
October. November. December – the shortest day is 21 December so there are more hours of darkness at this time of year."

I seen this a few times in Scotland.

Associate
Best places to see the Northern Lights in Scotland
So where can you see the Northern Lights in Scotland? In theory, the Northern Lights can be seen anywhere within the UK if geomagnetic conditions are very active.

Usually, it’s the north of the UK which gives you the best chance of seeing the “mirrie dancers”. This is why Scotland’s Highlands and Islands are such a great place to stay to see the Northern Lights. Spending your holiday as far north as you can, could increase your chances too.

Back
Top Bottom