Dual wan - Will my setup work?

Associate
Thinking of getting a dual wan router to act as a backup/fallout to my 4g home broadband.

My local mast does go down from time to time and I lost all connectivity so even though FTTC is quite poor where I live at least it should always work.

My LTE Huawei is in the loft along with its antennas. This is connected to multiple mesh WiFi nodes (deco M5's) via Cat5e cable which goes to several rooms in the house.

Obviously there is no phone socket up in the loft so I would need to connect the VDSL modem near a BT socket.

My question is can I place a dual wan router say in my living room and connect the VDSL modem and LTE 4G to it via a switch not a direct link?

Associate
OP
Ok will try and explain.

4G modem (Which is in a bedroom)--------> 8 port switch in attic

The attic switch then feeds 4 rooms in the house of which only 1 has a BT socket. Here is a very crud mspaint diagram lol

Soldato
ADSL or VDSL?

I'd do the following. As long as you didn't skimp on the cabling and ran at least two cables to the living room you'll still be able to connect wired devices down there.

RbYsrwH.png

Soldato
Without two cables I can't see any simple solutions.

If you could live with parts of your network only running at 100Mbps instead of a Gigabit you could split the cable you have.

Associate
Get a managed switch and put the vsdl on its own untagged vlan, you'll need a firewall aware of vlans e.g. opnsense as your basically putting two sets of traffic down the cable between the switch and router.

Back
Top Bottom