New Alienware Q3 2020

Soldato
I believe ps5 doesn’t do uw res yet but Xbox does?

Not sure if either does, to be honest. I haven't paid much attention to them. I'm probably being very ignorant of the way UW screens work. Really I should ignore the consoles and just focus on it working for my PC. I could always use the livingroom or bedroom tvs if I want to play one

Associate
Not sure if either does, to be honest. I haven't paid much attention to them. I'm probably being very ignorant of the way UW screens work. Really I should ignore the consoles and just focus on it working for my PC. I could always use the livingroom or bedroom tvs if I want to play one
Xbox supports 1440p mode at least

Soldato
Is anyone with this screen using a RTX 2080? I'm really close to pressing buy but worried my GPU wont be able to do justice for it and I wont be able to buy a GPU instantly either - not that they're in stock anyway!

Associate
Are there any issues with the 38" model? debating between ordering one of these or waiting to see if LG do anything with the 42" OLED screens.

This is probably a better buy for PC use as I do have a few worries about burn in but then I feel the new TVs would be better as I could comfortably play a PS5 or Xbox on there as well

The only thing holds me back is the lack of sRGB mode which is a non-negotiable. Without that everything is just over saturated because of the wide color gamut. Otherwise I would've bought one already, but because if this I think for general use (i.e. if you're not editing videos or images all day long) the LG 38GN950 is a better buy (if you can find one obviously).

Associate
If you turn HDR mode on in Windows, that converts the colors of SDR content to sRGB automatically.

But then, it also disables brightness control in monitor's OSD and forces you to use Variable Backlight.

Dell really worked hard to make this monitor as annoying for daily usage as possible.

Associate
Is anyone with this screen using a RTX 2080? I'm really close to pressing buy but worried my GPU wont be able to do justice for it and I wont be able to buy a GPU instantly either - not that they're in stock anyway!

I bought one of these Tuesday afternoon, delivered Wednesday morning. £975 + VAT. Really happy with the screen so far, not played around with settings so much yet. Not sure if anyone has anything they would recommend changing?

I debated between this and the G9 for ages, but, I am really happy I bought this, especially given the issues the G9 has. Seems just the right size for FPS games. It's ok for productivity, but, nothing will beat my LG 43" for work.

I'm running i7 9700k at 5ghz, 16gb RAM overclocked to what I can't remember, 2080 RTX. Anything in particular you want to know? I have only played Squad at the moment which is pretty resource hungry and all that I play other than racing games. I have Warzone too, so could test that? All settings on medium on Squad except view distance is set to epic. I get around 130-140fps unless something busy is going on where it drops to 100fps ish.

Soldato
I bought one of these Tuesday afternoon, delivered Wednesday morning. £975 + VAT. Really happy with the screen so far, not played around with settings so much yet. Not sure if anyone has anything they would recommend changing?

I debated between this and the G9 for ages, but, I am really happy I bought this, especially given the issues the G9 has. Seems just the right size for FPS games. It's ok for productivity, but, nothing will beat my LG 43" for work.

I'm running i7 9700k at 5ghz, 16gb RAM overclocked to what I can't remember, 2080 RTX. Anything in particular you want to know? I have only played Squad at the moment which is pretty resource hungry and all that I play other than racing games. I have Warzone too, so could test that? All settings on medium on Squad except view distance is set to epic. I get around 130-140fps unless something busy is going on where it drops to 100fps ish.

nothing in particular really. I'm currently playing through Valhalla and I expect once I complete this I may grab Horizon Zero Dawn so as long as I can play games like that at a decent frame rate with decent graphics I'll be tempted to pull the trigger tonight

Soldato
nothing in particular really. I'm currently playing through Valhalla and I expect once I complete this I may grab Horizon Zero Dawn so as long as I can play games like that at a decent frame rate with decent graphics I'll be tempted to pull the trigger tonight
Not sure if this helps your decision but this screeny is taken with a 5700XT on the Dell AW3821DW and I also have 2 more monitors running at the same time.

e6cv2zE.jpg

Soldato
Not sure if this helps your decision but this screeny is taken with a 5700XT on the Dell AW3821DW and I also have 2 more monitors running at the same time.

e6cv2zE.jpg

That looks fantastic. How well does it run? I’m sure a 2080 will be fine for the most part. If it means I have to turn a few settings down then so be it I’m sure the immersion will be worth it

Soldato
That looks fantastic. How well does it run? I’m sure a 2080 will be fine for the most part. If it means I have to turn a few settings down then so be it I’m sure the immersion will be worth it
Well, that I can't really tell you. :o I only used the 5700XT briefly due to there is a driver problem with the 6900XT, which I was using. Just borrowed the 5700XT back from a friend to make a comparison. Sorry ! But, for the short run I did to get there it was no problem. :p

Associate

I am using with a 2080 FTW 3. Seems to push 1440p fine, averaging about 70-90 FPS in Valhalla on Ultra. Better optimized games like Battlefront 2 I'm getting around 120-140fps on Ultra at 1440p.

With G-Sync I definitely seem to have a smoother experience and less screen tearing coming from a 1080p monitor even though I'm pushing less frames. Not super knowledgeable on G-sync but these are my initial impressions.

Permabanned

I am using a 2070S with the 38" model. It's perfectly fine. In older games it can get the fps up there, but in newer games it can struggle. My plan was always to buy a 3080 this year but with the shortages I have had to make do with my 2070S. I will get a 3080ti in June. I mean don't get me wrong, it's fine as it is but if you really want to get up to the limits of this monitor then you now only want the power you want the memory too. I have had several warnings with the 2070S that I am running out of video memory so no way am I going to buy a card with the same 8GB.

Soldato
I am using with a 2080 FTW 3. Seems to push 1440p fine, averaging about 70-90 FPS in Valhalla on Ultra. Better optimized games like Battlefront 2 I'm getting around 120-140fps on Ultra at 1440p.

With G-Sync I definitely seem to have a smoother experience and less screen tearing coming from a 1080p monitor even though I'm pushing less frames. Not super knowledgeable on G-sync but these are my initial impressions.

ah is that for the 27" one? I'm moving up from 1440p to the 38" one so I know it's ace at 1440p I'm a bit worried how it'll do with the bigger resolution.
I am using a 2070S with the 38" model. It's perfectly fine. In older games it can get the fps up there, but in newer games it can struggle. My plan was always to buy a 3080 this year but with the shortages I have had to make do with my 2070S. I will get a 3080ti in June. I mean don't get me wrong, it's fine as it is but if you really want to get up to the limits of this monitor then you now only want the power you want the memory too. I have had several warnings with the 2070S that I am running out of video memory so no way am I going to buy a card with the same 8GB.

that's my worry. I don't mind turning the graphics settings down and being a bit clever with which settings I disable but I'll wait until the 4 series of cards are out as I don't want to upgrade out of principle as I've gone from a 780Ti to 980Ti and eventually to a 2080 so I kind of wanted to get more than a generation out of the 2080

let's hope I can remain patient

Permabanned
ah is that for the 27" one? I'm moving up from 1440p to the 38" one so I know it's ace at 1440p I'm a bit worried how it'll do with the bigger resolution.

that's my worry. I don't mind turning the graphics settings down and being a bit clever with which settings I disable but I'll wait until the 4 series of cards are out as I don't want to upgrade out of principle as I've gone from a 780Ti to 980Ti and eventually to a 2080 so I kind of wanted to get more than a generation out of the 2080

let's hope I can remain patient

If you have a nice monitor now, then I would wait. The 38 is a lovely monitor and for me it brought more size, better colour, higher framerates. Even with the 2070S I can drive it above 60Hz but it struggles in most of the games I play to get it to 90. That's still an upgrade for me so I consider it worth it, but I am a long way short of getting the most out of this monitor. Course I had planned on having a 3080 by now, but hey ho.

Associate
I received mine yesterday and the back light bleed is so bad on the bottom left.

https://imgur.com/gallery/GOp1sKT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe7eWXY6Tt4&feature=emb_title
This is bad, get a replacement.

You'll be fine with a 2080.

I have to say when I see the 38" in photos it doesn't look overly big, almost tempted to try it from my 27".

Associate
For me 38" would be a good size and not to big (We will see) and with the increase in size and resolution it would give me a bit more real-estate. At the moment I have been running with a 25" display above my 34" and it is not the best (Used to have it beside but needed the space for other stuff). I also wanted to have G-Sync and a higher refresh rate. Hopefully the curved screen will be ok.

Soldato
I'm impatient now... that's the problem with doing things on the weekend! I want it to turn up but it's not supposed to be here until tomorrow and of course I'm causing pain for myself by checking every few minutes to see if it's been shipped yet.#

Tried to sell my current 27" 1440p 144Hz monitor on gumtree but if I don't have any luck I may just turn it vertical and have it as a permanent reddit screen

Back
Top Bottom