Asus ROG X570 Crosshair Dark Hero Release? *** NO Competitor Talk ***

Associate
Reading about the USB disconnect and GPU gen 4 issue is getting me worried, I’ve got this board preordered and coming into stock early March.

How common are these problems? Restricted to just this board or is it further afield e.g all X570? If you was in my position would you continue to wait or swap to an alternative?

thanks

Associate
Reading about the USB disconnect and GPU gen 4 issue is getting me worried, I’ve got this board preordered and coming into stock early March.

How common are these problems? Restricted to just this board or is it further afield e.g all X570? If you was in my position would you continue to wait or swap to an alternative?

thanks

It's not a specific board issue. It affects X570/B550 and some people say that USB issues exist since the first Zens.

Associate

thanks

Like others have said every x570/B550 board is impacted.

Associate
I am personnaly also affected by the USB issue (3090, Dark Hero, 5950X), and frankly sometimes it is annoying.

I really tend to love my 5950X but I can tell you, as soon as Intel gets the head above the water line I go back there instantly :D

Associate
I am personnaly also affected by the USB issue (3090, Dark Hero, 5950X), and frankly sometimes it is annoying.

I really tend to love my 5950X but I can tell you, as soon as Intel gets the head above the water line I go back there instantly :D

Yeah highly frustrating when we paid for the performance we cant get.

Setting to Gen3 and running benchmarks you can see the performance hit but I dont have a choice as the lobby in the game I play is un-usable.

axl

axl

Associate
4 single rank sticks are fine on X570, it's 4 dual rank that are the issue.

It's not, I have 4x8GB single ranked sticks. Whilst some failures might be 4x dual ranked sticks, the failures I'm seeing most like mine are for Samsung B-Die with very tight timings (and usually higher voltages). I've got 4x8GB, 3600, CL14 at 1.45V (this is from DOCP, not some custom overclocking).

Associate
It's not, I have 4x8GB single ranked sticks. Whilst some failures might be 4x dual ranked sticks, the failures I'm seeing most like mine are for Samsung B-Die with very tight timings (and usually higher voltages). I've got 4x8GB, 3600, CL14 at 1.45V (this is from DOCP, not some custom overclocking).

the timings on my 4*16GB are CL17-19-19-39 @1.35v. This is recognised for the 2 sticks that are working via DOCP.

Associate

thanks

I had this issue with an aurous master and it was resolved by doing a factory reset of the graphics card driver.

Found another thread.

Associate

thanks

Any board has the issue, some seem to exhibit more than others? I feel like its RNG.
Some it just happens over time the longer the system has been on where some only happens when the system gets taxed hard.

Some people found disabling Global C-States helped with the issue where it didn't for others. Its really messy and confusing, the guarantee fix is gen4 -> gen3 for gpu but you really shouldn't have to for a new product.

Associate
Wonder how widespread the issue really is as I've not encountered any USB issues (lots plugged in the rear) so far with gen 4 with USB or audio issues yet anyway. Built my 5950x and Asus X570 Formula system over a month ago and it's been great. So far I haven't had any issues, had to transfer 5tb over USB 3.2 a few days ago (mechanical drive to mechanical drive so and my CPU was pretty much idle with tiny usage, also transferred 1.5TB from SSD to SSD twice (one on USB 3.2 to internal SATA), no mouse, sound (analog & BT) or keyboard issues either thankfully, even had the odd game at the same time and all was fine. I've run multiple BIOS version even BETA ones and they've been great.

My GPU is a 3090 so that's running in gen 4 mode and so is my nvme drive, a WD SN850 2TB. The Windows 10 build is the one I was running on a 9900k and Asus Z370 Formula, I just removed all traces that I could have Intel, installed and booted up with the new hardware and it's been flawless so far.

Associate
Wonder how widespread the issue really is as I've not encountered any USB issues (lots plugged in the rear) so far with gen 4 with USB or audio issues yet anyway
Been following this thread for a while, since it seems like the most active thread on the internet about this one motherboard.

Thought I'd finally register and chime in, since I have had one kind of USB issue with my Dark Hero.
Not external ports, but the internal headers.

In December when I put together my rig, I was going insane about a constant usb disconnect sound in Windows. No connect sound, just disconnect. It might happen ever minute, maybe then 5 minutes later, but regardless it wouldn't stop whatever the interval.
Turns out that in my case the cuplrit was a combination of the Corsair Commander Pro and my HX1000i. I was able to figure that out by using USBLogView, which lists usb events and provides a product id for the device that is constantly disconnecting. Googled the id, and it was a match for the HX1000i.
I had connected my HX1000i to a USB header on the Commander Pro, and as soon as I disconnected it the sound stopped.

Corsair commented on this, and said that some motherboards have "budget" usb controllers that cause these issues. The Dark Hero isn't budget, but who knows about the USB controller...
They also said the Commander Pro isn't a USB hub, it's just USB passthrough. So one issue there can be power.
I was able to reconnect my PSU usb, without further issues, by getting an NZXT internal USB hub that has it's own power cable.

However so far I haven't had issues with external USB ports and connected devices.

I am running a 3080 as well as a gen 4 m.2 ssd, but haven't switched to using gen 3. So that just tells us the issue doesn't necessarily happen even if gen 4 is in use. Here's hoping the issues with external usb devices don't start.

I still do feel like the USB issue I had isn't really a motherboard issue, more of a design issue with the Commander Pro. Perhaps it should be a hub, and provide power to the USB headers.

Perhaps entirely unrelated to the usb issues being discussed, but one kind of usb issue anyway.

On another topic, just noticed they released a stable agesa 1.2.0.0 bios last friday.

Associate
Interesting as I also use a commander pro along with 2x Corsair RGB fan hubs, 1x Corsair lighting node pro and an AX1600i PSU, but all of these are connected to a NZXT internal molex powered hub and then that to just the one USB 2.0 header running everything and it's been great.

Associate
Thanks for the replies provided on the USB / Gen4 issue, that’s helped me understand. Looks like my motherboard is coming earlier than planned now anyway, just got a dispatch email tonight so will hopefully be building at the weekend. Will report back on presence of any bent header pins, USB / PCIe 4 and 4 sticks of RAM problems.

Associate
Hi All, first time Ryzen build for me and I've hopefully got the Dark Hero on its way to me soon.
For simply shallow reasons I want to get some white RGB Ram to match my build and found the following 32GB Corsair ram but its not on the QVL list.

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO White 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 32GB (2x16GB) CMW32GX4M2E3200C16W

Can anyone tell me if this is going to be compatible or am I going to have to look at a different kit?

Happy with 2 sticks as I've heard that 4 dimms can stress the memory controller on Ryzen so two sticks would be preferable (not going to be overclocking anything) but I am a complete novice with memory so apologies if I'm talking nonsense!

Caporegime
Hi All, first time Ryzen build for me and I've hopefully got the Dark Hero on its way to me soon.
For simply shallow reasons I want to get some white RGB Ram to match my build and found the following 32GB Corsair ram but its not on the QVL list.

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO White 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 CMW32GX4M2E3200C16W

Can anyone tell me if this is going to be compatible or am I going to have to look at a different kit?

Happy with 2 sticks as I've heard that 4 dimms can stress the memory controller on Ryzen so two sticks would be preferable (not going to be overclocking anything) but I am a complete novice with memory so apologies if I'm talking nonsense!

I would expect it to be fine.

Associate
Interesting as I also use a commander pro along with 2x Corsair RGB fan hubs, 1x Corsair lighting node pro and an AX1600i PSU, but all of these are connected to a NZXT internal molex powered hub and then that to just the one USB 2.0 header running everything and it's been great.
Yeah this is how I have it now too, everything works great.

Using the Command Pro USB headers seemed to be problematic.

Back
Top Bottom