Crucial 32gb (2x16gb) cl16 3600 BL2K16G36C16U4B - Single Rank

Associate
I tried tightening my timings manually from the DRAM calculator values using thus guide:
https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4 OC Guide.md
and found my performance dropped or I hit stability issues in Memtest86. It seems the calculator values are really well worked out. I didn't want to try 1.45V as my case is tiny with little airflow over the RAM.

I am basically at 3600mhz CL14-17-17-34 at 1.4V on my Dual rank Micron E-die which is only slightly faster in benchmarks than the XMP values despite those being CL16-18-18-38 at 1.37V. The latency is better though at 60ms compared to 70ms. I was hoping for more but I think it is rather that my XMP profile with the X570 Tomahawk and these chips is really good so manual / calculator timings don't have much room for improvement.

I tried the calculator values for 3800mhz but it only suggested CL16 which would give worse latency and I doubt the CPU gains would be significant based on HW Unboxed benchmarks comparing 3600 and 3800mhz. I am giving up on further memory tuning at this point but am relatively content with the results.

On a separate note, trying to run AutoOC on the CPU or using PBO (I have a 5800X) was really disappointing: neither gave more than a 1% boost in games or 3D Mark and just increased voltage and temperatures. I think the Clock Tuner for Ryzen (also by 1usmus) will be worth doing as it lowers voltages and customises speeds per core but it currently does not support Ryzen 5000 CPUs. I will be running this once the next version releases in the first half of 2021.

Soldato
Whilst my knowledge of Ryzen and the calculator is minimal, it might be worth setting the XMP timings again and trying 3800.

You may find it does 3800/C15 with some tweaking which should result in more BW with the same latency. Plus your IF speed would be higher which would result in better overall performance?

Associate
Gonna need your guys' help on my sticks. I just received the crucial ones, 3600mhz cl16 2x16gb sticks today. I opened them and directly read the code and it's M8FB1. Does this mean it's B die single rank or dual rank? If I understood this post correctly, on Ryzen 5000 series single rank 2x16gb is worse than dual rank 2x16gb?

Last edited:
Associate
Do you mean that same specs single rank 2x16 micron b die would outperform a same specs dual rank 2x16 micron e die? Also by "oc more" do you mean better timings, better frequency or both?

Soldato
Do you mean that same specs single rank 2x16 micron b die would outperform a same specs dual rank 2x16 micron e die? Also by "oc more" do you mean better timings, better frequency or both?

As I understand it Dual rank increases bandwidth because each rank can be independently accessed, thus at equal speeds and timings the Dual Ranks perform better.

However, because there are now more ranks the IMC has to work harder, there might be more electrical interference, etc, the amount Dual Rank sticks can theoretically overclock is less.

E.g. DR sticks might do 3800C16, SR sticks might do 4000C15.

Ultimately you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference. Stick them in and see what they can do.

Associate
As I understand it Dual rank increases bandwidth because each rank can be independently accessed, thus at equal speeds and timings the Dual Ranks perform better.

However, because there are now more ranks the IMC has to work harder, there might be more electrical interference, etc, the amount Dual Rank sticks can theoretically overclock is less.

E.g. DR sticks might do 3800C16, SR sticks might do 4000C15.

Ultimately you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference. Stick them in and see what they can do.
I wish so much I could. I don't have any rig under my hand right now where I could test these unfortunately. But I get your point, thanks a lot for the help

Associate
Gonna need your guys' help on my sticks. I just received the crucial ones, 3600mhz cl16 2x16gb sticks today. I opened them and directly read the code and it's M8FB1. Does this mean it's B die single rank or dual rank? If I understood this post correctly, on Ryzen 5000 series single rank 2x16gb is worse than dual rank 2x16gb?

What colour was the kit out of curiosity? Black/White/Red? Trying to see if there is any pattern.

Associate
Just had a set of 32gb Black Ballistix BL16G36C16U4B.M8FB1 delivered from Amazon. Here is a Thaiphoon readout for those interested. Single Rank Micron B-Die. They have made a big difference to my DCS VR experience compared to the 4 sticks of Team Vulcan 8gb 3000 I was running previously. I know very little about overclocking memory, I tried Ryzen Calc however I keep getting the Not Supported Message. Has anyone got any suggestions as to a safe OC to try with these?

fDrurRj.jpg

Soldato
Haha, yeah stock is super skinny here in the US also.

I managed to grab the red LED version which is allegedly arriving tomorrow... also pre-ordered from another place that is supposed to get stock in 2-4 weeks (black, no LED).

Will let you guys know if either set is the fabled dual rank E-die...

Does anyone know if Micron chips are as sensitive to temperature as Samsung B-Die? My previous set of G.Skill RAM would pass Memtest for hours on end, but then cause crashes / lock-ups in gaming, which I am pretty sure was temp related - hence wanting to swap them out!

Su

Soldato
Haha, yeah stock is super skinny here in the US also.

I managed to grab the red LED version which is allegedly arriving tomorrow... also pre-ordered from another place that is supposed to get stock in 2-4 weeks (black, no LED).

Will let you guys know if either set is the fabled dual rank E-die...

Does anyone know if Micron chips are as sensitive to temperature as Samsung B-Die? My previous set of G.Skill RAM would pass Memtest for hours on end, but then cause crashes / lock-ups in gaming, which I am pretty sure was temp related - hence wanting to swap them out!

Su

I very, very much doubt it'll be dual rank. Mid 2020 they started coming as single rank.

Not noticed any temperature issues with mine, although I'm at 4000, C16-18-18-38, 1.35V!

Back
Top Bottom