New Alienware Q3 2020

Man of Honour
just ordered the AW2521H, for competitive FPS gaming. Need to decide what to do with my current 27" 1440p 144hz panel, probably be a pain to sell so I might keep it for playing single player games as it's probably going to give a better experience in titles where I can't maintain a high framerate.

Soldato
just ordered the AW2521H, for competitive FPS gaming. Need to decide what to do with my current 27" 1440p 144hz panel, probably be a pain to sell so I might keep it for playing single player games as it's probably going to give a better experience in titles where I can't maintain a high framerate.

Same boat as you but I went for the 38. Just think it'll look a bit silly having a 27" and 38" on the same desk

Soldato
Is anyone with this screen using a RTX 2080? I'm really close to pressing buy but worried my GPU wont be able to do justice for it and I wont be able to buy a GPU instantly either - not that they're in stock anyway!

I assume you mean the 38"?

I used to drive my AW3418 with a 1080Ti which is similar performance level to a 2070S or 2080.

It did a very good job but I did have to turn down settings a bit to get framerates up above 100fps in most titles. It's a subjective trade-off, if you want the higher framerates you'll have to turn stuff down a bit, it's just a question of which is more important to you.

Also bear in mind the 38" has around 24% more pixels to push than the 34". Basically I think it'll do a decent job but not a stellar one. Ideal GPU for a 3840x1600 panel is really a 3070 minimum or ideally a 3080.

Associate
Similar position myself. Currently have a AW3418DW but the blacks are providing to be a real issue in dark games. Other than that, it's fantastic.i was looking at the AW3821DW, but 24% more pixels doesn't seem worth it. Especially for the price and lack of HDR10, sRGB etc.

I have been looking at other monitors, but not really sure what to do. I love how sharp everything is on an IPS panel, and recently got a Dell P2720DC for my works MacBook. Not a high end monitor by any means, but the text is no where near as clear, and that's my main issue switching from IPS back to VA.

Could do with someone releasing a UW 34" OLED monitor..

Soldato
I assume you mean the 38"?

I used to drive my AW3418 with a 1080Ti which is similar performance level to a 2070S or 2080.

It did a very good job but I did have to turn down settings a bit to get framerates up above 100fps in most titles. It's a subjective trade-off, if you want the higher framerates you'll have to turn stuff down a bit, it's just a question of which is more important to you.

Also bear in mind the 38" has around 24% more pixels to push than the 34". Basically I think it'll do a decent job but not a stellar one. Ideal GPU for a 3840x1600 panel is really a 3070 minimum or ideally a 3080.

Yeah, I'm fully expecting to have to lower settings a fair bit. On AC Valhalla it's currently playing on ultra settings around an average of 70fps. If I have to be careful and drop some settings I'm fine with that as long as I'm not forced to play everything on low

Soldato
Yeah, I'm fully expecting to have to lower settings a fair bit. On AC Valhalla it's currently playing on ultra settings around an average of 70fps. If I have to be careful and drop some settings I'm fine with that as long as I'm not forced to play everything on low

It's also worth noting that G-Sync/Freesync aren't all about high framerates and massively help with lower rates, making them feel far smoother, which is something many people, myself included, don't realise until they try it.

Soldato
It's also worth noting that G-Sync/Freesync aren't all about high framerates and massively help with lower rates, making them feel far smoother, which is something many people, myself included, don't realise until they try it.

You're preaching to the choir here, I've been using a GSync screen since 2015 :)

had delivery of the 38" today. It's massive but looks great. My 2080 did better than I thought it would, still had to drop a few settings but it's still playing Valhalla on high and getting 50-60fps. Happy with that for now

Associate
Got mine yesterday and it is a perfect size. Glad to have G-Sync on my main monitor now (Was using a 27" mostly just for gaming). No issues with it at the moment and no bleeding can be seen in daylight. Not tried any gaming yet.

Associate
Hello.

Dell AW3821DW

Just small questions to be sure before buying :

1) Is there someone here who is using that monitor with RX 6800XT ? If yes, no problem to use it freesync with the nvidia module ? I read someone with 5700xt was working... then 6900xt but problems with drivers ?

2) Is there a website giving some settings ( screen and windows ) to get the best of it ?
Monitor is not yet rated on rtings.

2) Any specific remarks or things to know before purchasing ? ( light bleed ? others ? )

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hello.

Dell AW3821DW

Just small questions to be sure before buying :

1) Is there someone here who is using that monitor with RX 6800XT ? If yes, no problem to use it freesync with the nvidia module ? I read someone with 5700xt was working... then 6900xt but problems with drivers ?

2) Is there a website giving some settings ( screen and windows ) to get the best of it ?
Monitor is not yet rated on rtings.

2) Any specific remarks or things to know before purchasing ? ( light bleed ? others ? )

Thank you very much.

If you dont have a hardware calibrating tool then I find this site is the best to use to set up a new monitor

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Associate
Man of Honour
Am I right in thinking you review for TFTCentral? Any plans to review the AW3821DW? :)
I do indeed. And yes :) it’s going live next week but you can also get early access to the full review now if you don’t mind joining to support the site, even if just as a one off. Helps us to keep the site going and continue to review more monitors

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_alienware_aw3821dw.htm

ps we are also reviewing the AW2721D right now, so if you join for a month you’ll also get early access to that in the near future :)

Soldato
I do indeed. And yes :) it’s going live next week but you can also get early access to the full review now if you don’t mind joining to support the site, even if just as a one off. Helps us to keep the site going and continue to review more monitors

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_alienware_aw3821dw.htm

ps we are also reviewing the AW2721D right now, so if you join for a month you’ll also get early access to that in the near future :)

Awesome, have joined :)

Caporegime
Joined as a Patreon, have read your site for years for free so only seemed fair. Enjoyed the review on AW3821, proved I made the right decision in buying it :)

Man of Honour
Joined as a Patreon, have read your site for years for free so only seemed fair. Enjoyed the review on AW3821, proved I made the right decision in buying it :)
Thanks Greebo, appreciate it. Having early access to the content and other bits and pieces just gives us a way to thank those willing to support the ongoing running of the site :) The AW2721D review should be up this month too early access in case you want to read about it's little brother!

Back
Top Bottom