New headset replace Astro a40 tr & mix amp

Associate
Morning all,

So I currently have Astro a40 tr gen 3 and mix amp pro, I have had nothing but problems with connectivity issues while gaming so thought I'd upgrade.
They are not bad headphones but I guess I fell into the whole 'I saw a probably sponsored streamer wearing them so they must be good' ploy.
I play pretty competitive warzone at the moment and would like something that just works with better sound quality..
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated .
Budget would be around £300 - also does not need to be a gaming headset as I am aware that most are gimics.

Cheers

Associate
I have never tried Beyerdynamic, hear a lot of good things so far.
Do you use an amp or sound card?

I just use a lotoo paw s1 dongle normally, awesome wee thing and again a steal for the money. Doubles up for tablet duty as well. Other than that I'll plug my cayin N8 in now and again.

Soldato
Searching which dac/amp to go along side new headphones and mic is a headache
Creative is selling B-stock Sound BlasterX G6 for extremely good £70.

For easiest solution to adding mic to any headphone there's ModMic.
But Beyer's design would be also friendly for DIY mod:
https://imgur.com/gallery/bKU4H

About headphone TYGR 300 is open design, meaning it doesn't isolate environment's sounds really any.
Hence it isn't good for noisy environment.

Soldato
Now to decide which headphones.. any experience with the DT990 pros?
They're very good if you're after balanced gaming experience with above neutral bass punch and good details.
Of course in case of competitive gaming neutral bass headphone would be best for easier to distinguiosh foot steps etc.
But those headphones are rather short on "fun factor".

TYGR should be overall rather similar in sound with some tweaking.

doc

doc

Associate
For that money, my goto would be the Audeze Mobius.

They are combined dac headphones, good 3d surround and they're entry level planar magnetics, which sound awesome whatever you throw at them.

Associate
Thanks for the tip, ordered a G6.
Now to decide which headphones.. any experience with the DT990 pros?

DT990 are similar to the Tygr - the Tygr have some additional material over the driver I believe just to tame the highs of the DT990 a little. I've owned both and they are fantastic for gaming - nice and open/wide soundstage. The Tygr have the advantage of being easier to drive and also if you wanted to use them for the odd bit of music listening, they have less tiring highs from my use.

Associate
When i used a Mixamp with the 990's the performance was poor. Using a dedicated card is much better, not used the G6 though. I used a standard mic and a bicycle spoke to attach my mic to the headphones,though any flexible strong material will do.

Associate
Pretty keen on the TYGR, out of stock most places.. only really want the headphones not the bundle

Yea - like gold dust right now - Beyer are having issues getting any stock across to the UK post Brexit - they won;t even ship direct to the UK from their site at the moment. When I asked they said it would be a few weeks before this would change so I'm guessing stock shortages will continue for a while here.

Associate
OP
Ah it feels like an absolute age I have been reading reviews going back and forth to make a decision on a set of headphones to go with the G6.. I am still keen in the tygr 300 but keep leaning on the akg 702 and 712 then something else pops up!?

Soldato
Ah it feels like an absolute age I have been reading reviews going back and forth to make a decision on a set of headphones to go with the G6.. I am still keen in the tygr 300 but keep leaning on the akg 702 and 712 then something else pops up!?
If main goal is distinguishing details like foot steps, then K702 with it's accurate neutral aiming sound is at top.
But that neutral sound also means don't expect much of fun factor with "bass staying in back seat".

TYGR would have some above neutral bass (though not as much as DT990) for more fun, but of course not top level competitiveness.
Though for comfort Beyer's good old manual head band adjustment is way better than AKG's "automatically" adjusting head band relying partially on pressure to keep cups positioned and stretching elastic pieces not doing good job at that.

K712 again is AKG's vision of that above neutral bass headphone with competitiviness taking that step back from K702, but giving better fun factor for really good balanced gaming experience.
But same head band things apply.
And AKG's replacement ear pads for K712 cost literal arm and both legs making it very expensive in long run.

I own DT990, which should be rather close to TYGR and both K702 and K712.
https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/beyerdynamic-dt990-pro/
https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/beyerdynamic-tygr-300-r/

And remember none of these tolerate noisy environment with for example averagel mechanical keyboard sounds coming through easily.

Associate
OP
Thank you for your help.
I have just ordered the DT990, took me a while to decide then impulse took over.

I built my office more or less sound proof.
Funny thing is I only got back into PC gaming etc at the start of last year. Built an office on the side of my house, reasonable pc and now ticking off the audio.. The wife loves it.

Back
Top Bottom