Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
They will be looking at both sides.

But your view of hedgefunds is warped. The big bad hedgefunds are destroying us, its mental.

Never said they were big bad and destroying us, as I've been pretty consistent in saying, I'm in GME for the lolz, the fact that they have been shorted isn't illegal, and while morally dubious its just one part of playing the game..

Caporegime
IAG will be announcing their results on the 26/2. I guess after the year they (and other airlines) have had, it won't make for good reading and regardless of how well the UK is doing with the roll out of the vacination programme, we need the rest of the world to catch up before we get close to see a real rise in air travel. Anyone got any ideas of where they might be heading over the next 4 weeks?
my parents had the oxford vaccine this week and need to go back at the end of april (27th) for my mum for another jab.

airlines imo are a long way off, thanks for the heads up as I own some IAG currently at a small profit.
I think I will sell a week or so before earnings and hope to buy back in at a dip

Soldato
Never said they were big bad and destroying us, as I've been pretty consistent in saying, I'm in GME for the lolz, the fact that they have been shorted isn't illegal, and while morally dubious its just one part of playing the game..

It comes across like that.
Shorting isn't morally dubious though, its an important function for price in the market. If we didn't have shorting, stocks would only ever go up basically.
Not sure if you saw my previous post about shorting more than the float, there is a case to be made that it shouldn't be allowed. I'm sure that it will be looked at and reviewed, it was utterly foolish from the hedgefunds that did it.
The WSB crowd did them over, they won the fight (sort of, a lot of people would have been hurt by it too) its all part of the game. It's a one in a million event which shouldn't be looked through the lens of normal market behaviour though

Last edited:
Associate
HL charge about £12 per trade. This figure goes down the more you trade but if you're only doing small trades, those fees can quickly eat into any profits. If you're just starting out, it sounds like Trading 212 or Freetrade are the ones to look at although I don't personally have experience with either of those.

HL have a slightly nicer platform but will charge £10 per trade (Maybe £11.95), so factor that in, and if you're not buying much then any gains are quickly lost to those.

Trading 212 seems decent so far and has a good range of stocks including US ones.

Personally i use Fidelity for my long term stuff and T212 for smaller trades where the trade fees matter more.

^^ This

Have a proper investment account and then T212 as a play account.

Edit: Although increasingly T212 is bridging the gap with its Pie feature.

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like the consensus is that T212 will be the best option for now (when they reopen to new members!)

Soldato
Thanks, makes sense. I see you also can't transfer in and out of that platform as yet, it still does like an interesting place to build up a small portfolio though

A good point above about fractional shares too actually.

The bigger brokers don’t allow fractional shares on individual stocks (you can for ETF’s) or at least I’m not aware of any where you can.

That makes it a big benefit as some people can’t afford a whole share of some of the big companies.

Associate
Yeah, that's the risk, but realistically if T212 is a "play" account then the chance of making enough to be paying CGT in a single year is minimal.

Although i do have the T212 in my wifes name to get around that.

I thought this when I opened a T212 account a couple months back and didn't bother with the ISA. Then GME happened and I'm liable for about a grand CGT lol

Better safe than sorry so if you haven't already maxed out your £20k ISA allowance for the year there's no reason not to just incase another GME situation happens or you get onto something like Nio, NNDM or Ceres Power early and it turns into a 10 bagger.

I'm trying to open an ISA now on T212 and despite already having an invest/CFD account I'm still on the waiting list...

Soldato
T212 looks interesting, the fractional shares bit also looks really good. How can everything be commission free, I wonder how they make their money?

I believe they have a bigger spread than the real spread and slice the difference.

They mainly make their money from the CFD side, I assume part of the logic is that if they can lure you onto their platform a certain percentage will go on to play with CFDs "Our platform is making money from its CFD business, where the main revenue comes from the spread and the interest swap."

https://helpcentre.trading212.com/hc/en-us/articles/360008682638-How-does-Trading-212-make-money-

Back
Top Bottom