Talk to me about.. 2017+ VAG Engines / DSG

Caporegime
Having had two friends who have had DSG failures I wouldn't have a VW with one unless it had a warranty. And one that covered the gearbox.

Soldato
Hey there,

I've currently leased a '20 Octavia 1.0 TSI SE Manual and I'm pretty happy with it, my lease ends in October and I'll probably spend up to £15k on one as that seems a fair budget to pick one up with just a few thousand miles on it.

Looking at the petrol variants only and the budget allows me a 17+ Skoda.
Are there any models others from the VAG group I should consider that fit the following for a £15k budget?
- Less than 3 years old
- Less than 10k miles
- DSG
- 115ps - or above (1.0 has been fine for me but a little extra from a 1.4 / 1.6 might be favourable)
- Adaptive Cruise, Lane Assist, Android Auto

Main concerns:
How does DSG warranty work - i.e. is it warranted for X amount of miles / years providing it's been serviced?
Do I need to purchase extended warranty for DSG or is it not really worth it?
Are there any specific engines from the VAG group to avoid? I saw there were issues with the 1.5 TSI but apparently this was fixed last year but some other forum users still complain it's not fixed.

Advice and recommendations greatly appreciated, thanks!
Did you say October?

Caporegime
Having had two friends who have had DSG failures I wouldn't have a VW with one unless it had a warranty. And one that covered the gearbox.
People say this, but have you actually had first hand experience? I've had a DSG failure on my TT, the cost for a rebuild (mechatronic and a clutch pack) was not massively more (a few hundred quid more) than a clutch and flywheel job on a manual equivalent.

Not really that much of a worry.

Man of Honour
DSG issues seem mostly related a couple of engine models IIRC (one of which I don't believe we get in the UK) - most of the engine issues I've heard about are quite specific to 1.4 and 1.5 models.

My parents have and do run a variety of VW vehicles with decent reliability over all - but they are all 1.9 or 2.0 TDI models - the only remotely common issue has been turbo related at around 70K miles.

Soldato
Main concerns:
How does DSG warranty work - i.e. is it warranted for X amount of miles / years providing it's been serviced?
Do I need to purchase extended warranty for DSG or is it not really worth it?
Are there any specific engines from the VAG group to avoid? I saw there were issues with the 1.5 TSI but apparently this was fixed last year but some other forum users still complain it's not fixed.
DSG warranty is just part of the car warranty. As standard that's 2yr unlimited mileage, 3yr 60k miles. You can purchase an extended warranty, the price of which is dependent on the car, cover level and your expected mileage.

Servicing requirements for DSG depend entirely on which version you have. On a 17 plate or newer 1.0/1.5 TSI this will be a dry clutch DQ200 7 speed which has no official service schedule. These are also generally historically the more unreliable version of DSG but I don't recall actually seeing many complaints about them in more recent vehicles. Jump up to a 2.0 and you'll get either a DQ250 6 speed (on some 2017 cars) or a DQ380 7 speed (introduced 2017, replaced the 6 speed across most models during 2018). These have routine oil changes required. Every 40k for the DQ250, 80k for DQ380 (though you'll see many, including me, doing it at 40k anyway).

If the extended warranty was cheap enough, I'd run an extended warranty. It ought to be pretty cheap on a smaller engined Octavia, as it wasn't hugely expensive for my vRS.

There aren't any engines to avoid particularly on a 2017+ car, certainly from a reliability perspective. The 1.5TSI issues were manual cars, with the kangarooing as mentioned above, not an issue on a DSG car.

Soldato
Early DSG were awful. The ones now are fine if you treat them right. Read the manual and do what it says in the manual. The biggest issue with DSG/S-tronic is the servicing. £150 every 40,000 miles. So on long service intervals every other service is a major service. And if it’s not been done then you will need a full gearbox rebuild at some point.

Associate
I took out an extended warranty on a Mk6 Golf 1.4 Tsi DSG, which I understand has the dry clutch DQ200 gearbox. I did a lot of research into this at the time (a few years ago now) and whilst a lot of people said the gearbox oil could be changed, the official stance by VW was that it's a "sealed for life" system.

Couple of questions for the experts on here:

1. Given VW have confirmed it's "sealed for life", has anyone ever had any problems with the extended warranty if the DSG oil has never been changed?

2. Re the servicing requirements for the extended warranty. The T&Cs say:

Failure to keep your vehicle serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s service schedule will void the warranty. You must keep all servicing receipts and invoices. We will be entitled to check that your vehicle has been serviced regularly and may ask to see these in the unlikely event that the condition of your vehicle does not appear to correspond with your vehicle service schedule.

I also checked with them multiple times on the phone that I could get the car independently serviced. Having never had to claim, I've not been able to test this. Has anyone had experience of claiming if you do not use a franchised dealer for servicing?

Associate
Same here. Golf 1.6 TDI. Started to fail. Got the Leon SC 1.8TSI, started to fail.
Missus had an A-Class, 180d, covered 90k+ miles, no issues. I'm driving a new shape A-Class, 200d, no issues. Drove Mazda CX-5 Auto, also no issues. I wouldn't drive another VAG auto, sorry.

Soldato
I took out an extended warranty on a Mk6 Golf 1.4 Tsi DSG, which I understand has the dry clutch DQ200 gearbox. I did a lot of research into this at the time (a few years ago now) and whilst a lot of people said the gearbox oil could be changed, the official stance by VW was that it's a "sealed for life" system.

Couple of questions for the experts on here:

1. Given VW have confirmed it's "sealed for life", has anyone ever had any problems with the extended warranty if the DSG oil has never been changed?

2. Re the servicing requirements for the extended warranty. The T&Cs say:

I also checked with them multiple times on the phone that I could get the car independently serviced. Having never had to claim, I've not been able to test this. Has anyone had experience of claiming if you do not use a franchised dealer for servicing?

VAG have claimed other things never needed changing and then parts started to fail once they were well out of warranty (like timing chains). Then they mugged owners off, offering no help.

So definitely do not follow their guidence with the "sealed for life" rubbish. If it's a moving part then it needs servicing.

Last edited:
Associate
VAG have claimed other things never needed changing and then parts started to fail (like timing chains). So definitely do not follow their guidence with the "sealed for life" rubbish.
True.
The sealed for life needs an oil change. Very few dealers would do it, most will keep repeating the mantra sealed for life.
The main issue with the DSG wasn't even a fault, but behaviour. The hesitation coming to a stop, then accelerating again, never 100% the car would pull before a SUV/White van T-bone your car.

Associate
Will make an interesting conversation for a warranty claim. VAG dealers refuse to change the oil - not sure how they can argue refusing a claim if their own dealers are saying its not needed.

Associate
Any thoughts on the independent servicing vs franchise? I wish I'd recorded the calls confirming this - although the T&Cs do not explicitly say anything about having to be done by a franchised dealer. Again, I can see it being used as a get out clause.

Soldato
Any thoughts on the independent servicing vs franchise? I wish I'd recorded the calls confirming this - although the T&Cs do not explicitly say anything about having to be done by a franchised dealer. Again, I can see it being used as a get out clause.

You need a VAT receipt and a statement (or ideally a list of parts with numbers) stating that the car has been serviced to manufacturers requirements using genuine parts. That’s about as bullet-proof as you’ll get.

Back
Top Bottom