What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Justify it by thinking that the amount you're knocking off that would come back to bite you in interest, means you're technically putting money towards a future fancy watch, whilst also providing a safe, heated and rain proof place for the watches to stay (your house!).

I know what you mean.

Although I'm limited to paying 10% overpayment per financial year on my five year fixed deal. I can pay off another 3.5k before end of march, so I figure once I've done that, I can treat myself :D

I'm certainly thinking of the bigger picture cos at the moment I've got 8yrs left but if I keep doing the over payments I'll be mortgage free in 4 possibly 5 instead. Once I've done that then I'll get myself a fancy watch :D

Man of Honour
Was looking at the original Hamilton Pilot watch from the early 70s on eBay earlier, the W10, they are going for around £675 in visibly used condition and that's quite amazing really for a vintage that has seen active military service. This got me thinking about my re-issue and then pulled out the Flieger and wondered about the pilots from both German and British airforces in their times wearing these watches. Found it interesting to note that the Nazis opted for massive 45mm+ cases whilst the British Air Force preferred a 36mm - Thought that was an interesting observation, were the Gemrans having sight issues back then? :D (jokes).

Anyway, side by side you'd never guess the Khaki was a pilots issue watch.

pilots_front.jpg

pilots_side.jpg

As tempted as I am to buy a vintage W10 and stuff it in a cupboard for 20 years, I just can't do it.

Soldato
Was looking at the original Hamilton Pilot watch from the early 70s on eBay earlier, the W10, they are going for around £675 in visibly used condition and that's quite amazing really for a vintage that has seen active military service. This got me thinking about my re-issue and then pulled out the Flieger and wondered about the pilots from both German and British airforces in their times wearing these watches. Found it interesting to note that the Nazis opted for massive 45mm+ cases whilst the British Air Force preferred a 36mm - Thought that was an interesting observation, were the Gemrans having sight issues back then? :D (jokes).

pilots_front.jpg

pilots_side.jpg

As tempted as I am to buy a vintage W10 and stuff it in a cupboard for 20 years, I just can't do it.

I was sure when I saw the original one on eBay they were double that. Certainly looked to be in good nick anyway. Possibly better than the ones you've seen?

Soldato
Folks... I got a Tissot PRS516. Nothing special really.
Just want to get the battery replaced... any recommendations where I could get this done (preferably a reputable collection/delivery service if this is available?)

Soldato

pilots_front.jpg

pilots_side.jpg

Interesting those W10 vintage watches. Guessing the lume on them is dead after all this time. Re-luming would probably be a sin on a vintage watch.

Man of Honour
But then it becomes faux vintage!

They would have used Radium lume back then although around the 70s radium stopped being used... Either way the lume would never look the same if it was re-done hence why many vintage restorations choose to keep the battered lume in place and refurb the rest of the watch.

Just want to get the battery replaced... any recommendations where I could get this done (preferably a reputable collection/delivery service if this is available?)

Perhaps https://fixmywatch.co.uk?

Soldato

If you're not desperate to get it replaced immediately then just wait for the lockdown to end and pop into a local jewellers and they can get it done for you. The cost of the battery and time is minimal so won't cost the earth. Will save you having to post it anywhere anyway.

Soldato
If you're not desperate to get it replaced immediately then just wait for the lockdown to end and pop into a local jewellers and they can get it done for you. The cost of the battery and time is minimal so won't cost the earth. Will save you having to post it anywhere anyway.
This would make adjusting my speedy so easy. Alas...lockdown. still can't find myself a credible jewellers screw driver!

arrived at the weekend :)
6QJ8w7m.jpg
Which one is this? Looks nice. I'll put a picture of my 70s Cosmic up shortly. Love the old Omega font.

dod

dod

Soldato
Which one is this? Looks nice. I'll put a picture of my 70s Cosmic up shortly. Love the old Omega font.
It's a 1960's Geneve, with the 601 caliber, hand wind only and the crown is tiny

Much prettyness, is the second hand meant to look like that?
No, just aging. In reality you don't even see it, it's just the camera picks it up

Last edited:
Associate
Having received a long service award from work I'm thinking of using some of it to buy something memorable .... such as another watch ;).

Looking through this thread - I really like the look of the Baltic Aquascaphe - but is there anywhere in the UK that acts as a stockist? I'm guessing not - and I know that Baltic offer free delivery and returns, but I imagine that in a post Brexit world that will include paying VAT and subsequently claiming VAT back and additional courier handling charges - hence the question.

Man of Honour
Having received a long service award from work I'm thinking of using some of it to buy something memorable .... such as another watch ;).

Looking through this thread - I really like the look of the Baltic Aquascaphe - but is there anywhere in the UK that acts as a stockist? I'm guessing not - and I know that Baltic offer free delivery and returns, but I imagine that in a post Brexit world that will include paying VAT and subsequently claiming VAT back and additional courier handling charges - hence the question.

No extra fees to pay! I have bought two Baltic Aquascaphes one before Brexit and one recently and didn't have to pay any import duty. Baltic already include VAT in their listing prices (shown below the Euros price).
My bronze Aquascaphe is on its way back to me now too after having the bezel alignment corrected and it left France this afternoon.

The whole shipping process does take a bit longer now no thanks to Brexit as there's more paperwork for the retailer to complete and then DHL have to do the admin work although my experience has been that there is no extra cost to pay. Whether this changes in the future I do not know but as of right now, all good.

The first Aquascaphe arrived within 48hrs, this one arrived in the UK within 24 hours but took a day or two filtering through the UK DHL network via Heathrow to Southampton then to my town.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the reply mrk :) I'm looking at the blue gilt aquascaphe on the baltic website and it's showing as 579.17 euro (price without VAT) - so I'd assumed that I'd be charged VAT by the courier.

Back
Top Bottom