Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I chucked a few quid into SNDL a few weeks ago on a whim, seems to have paid off! As usual, wishing had put more than £500 in!

Soldato
I've been using Hargreaves Lansdown and Revolut to buy stocks, however £11.95 per trade on HL is way too high for the amount I'm investing and Revolut is missing so many stocks that I am interested in. Trading 212 is not accepting new sign ups currently so I don't know what else to use.

Any suggestions?

Soldato
Not day trading but on the 15th next and 4 times a month Halifax have been offering shares at 2 quid per deal for years. It does cost like 12 to sell and you still must pay stamp duty but I think they offer all stocks on this kind of platform. I find its fine mostly as they buy in the morning and you can always decide the night before to pull or go for the deal, its more like a 12hr delayed buy you have to spend 7 to 10 days thinking about.
Tell me the share to check and I'll go see. I last bought AAL even though its coming off a peak and its already doubled I dont mind them long term, theres no fees to hold so I'll close the spreadbet I made a while back and leave this open. Also its fractional and auto reinvests dividends at 1% charge. AAL have results soon, I might hold off for now see how the dust settles; price already regained dam range 22 to 28 i'd guess

Associate
I've been using Hargreaves Lansdown and Revolut to buy stocks, however £11.95 per trade on HL is way too high for the amount I'm investing and Revolut is missing so many stocks that I am interested in. Trading 212 is not accepting new sign ups currently so I don't know what else to use.

Any suggestions?

Hang fire. The reason 212 is not taking on users, is partly due to IB and the recent surge in users. They will open again. They also have a good forum, but there are some people that mouth off expecting everything for free. Its a good cheap platform for investing. I wouldn't necessarily use it for day trading, but you could.

Other thought could be to look at alternatives, but I think even freetrade have a paywall.

Soldato
I'd agree with the above, just wait. It's the best platform I've used for individual trades.

Also in on AAL silver, bought in at $14 so fortunate there but also taken a 5% FX hit. They're a very safe midterm hold for me.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
212 is rubbish for AIM stocks though - orders don’t get filled for ages sometimes and I found even when they did, HL could get a better price, offsetting the £11.95 fee.

Caporegime
212 is rubbish for AIM stocks though - orders don’t get filled for ages sometimes and I found even when they did, HL could get a better price, offsetting the £11.95 fee.
for most people who use 212 that 11.95 fee is probably 11.95% of what they would invest in a single stock and hard to overcome

Associate
I chucked a few quid into SNDL a few weeks ago on a whim, seems to have paid off! As usual, wishing had put more than £500 in!
That's the thing isn't it, same for me. I watched them when they launched at 10$, saw them peek at 13 then saw them go down to .6 and stay there for a year+. Literally nothing showed they'd ever go up up until a week ago. With everything that happened to them in the past year it was always a loosing bet. Hopefully this growth now will continue.

Soldato
Not anymore, with their restrictions on limit orders which I posted on previous page

£100 is hardly restrictive. This year has seen a huge uptake in amateur and retail investors but if you've got less than £100 per trade to spend you may as well learn with a play money account.

I mean even if a stock grows 100% on a £50 investment it really isn't worth the time, effort and ongoing emotion, and 100% is an extremely lucky example, most of the time gains (or losses) will be significantly less.

Not to mention the £100 only applies to limit orders, and you're more than welcome to trade £5 in open market for free.

Soldato

Yeah I was planning on ditching mine yesterday @50% but was out and about at the end of the day so missed the close, ended up just over 72%, looking at pre-market its up another ~20% so kinda glad I didn't now, makes up for the GME fucksickles from last week lol

Soldato
but if you've got less than £100 per trade to spend you may as well learn with a play money account.

What a stupid thing to say, if I've got £500 to play with each month that's 20% exposure per trade if I want to use limits, that's way too much exposure on a single asset, so I should trade with a play money account because I don't have £1000 a month to play with ?

Soldato
£100 is hardly restrictive. This year has seen a huge uptake in amateur and retail investors but if you've got less than £100 per trade to spend you may as well learn with a play money account.

I mean even if a stock grows 100% on a £50 investment it really isn't worth the time, effort and ongoing emotion, and 100% is an extremely lucky example, most of the time gains (or losses) will be significantly less.

Not to mention the £100 only applies to limit orders, and you're more than welcome to trade £5 in open market for free.
I dunno, £100 of your own cash certainly makes you think differently than total play money.

Agreed the level of stress is somewhat similar though :p

Associate
End of day, the more options we have to ‘trade’, the better it is for us.

The one thing I have time to work out, is if I should ditch fidelity once my 0.25% rate expires post takeover of Cavendish holdings. It still seems a relatively cheap platform to gain access to funds though.

Back
Top Bottom