*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Our Switch is really showing its worth now that my son (he's 4 in April) is getting better at playing it, and showing so much interest in it. He loves Mario is is surprisingly good at Oddysey (he can navigate levels perfectly fine, he knows how to roll, ground pound, all sorts of things like that).

Pretty sure I will get the new 3D World game, but with it being coop I'd like to get another controller. Is the Switch Pro controller the one to go for? Or is there a decent cheaper alternative?

Man of Honour
Some of the alternative ones are decent and not too expensive, but must admit I really like the pro controller and it's battery time in use is epic.

I'm still disappointed that Nintendo, the king of dpads, put such a poor dpad on the Pro controller. You need a pad like the 8bitdo to play Metroidvanias on.

Soldato
Our Switch is really showing its worth now that my son (he's 4 in April) is getting better at playing it, and showing so much interest in it. He loves Mario is is surprisingly good at Oddysey (he can navigate levels perfectly fine, he knows how to roll, ground pound, all sorts of things like that).

Pretty sure I will get the new 3D World game, but with it being coop I'd like to get another controller. Is the Switch Pro controller the one to go for? Or is there a decent cheaper alternative?

The Pro Controller is expensive but is a lovely pad, nice feel and weight and battery last forever. Personally I don't think the saving made buying a cheaper alternative would be enough to make it worthwhile for me.

Have you got Mario Kart? It's great for the young ones as has auto acceleration and steering assist so they actually stay on the track and have a decent little race while they learn.

Soldato
The Pro Controller is expensive but is a lovely pad, nice feel and weight and battery last forever. Personally I don't think the saving made buying a cheaper alternative would be enough to make it worthwhile for me.

Have you got Mario Kart? It's great for the young ones as has auto acceleration and steering assist so they actually stay on the track and have a decent little race while they learn.

Fair enough, I'll look out for a deal on a Pro controller in that case. I was hoping Tesco might have one online as I've got some Clun Card vouchers, but they don't have it listed.

Yeah we have Mario Kart and the auto accelerate and steer are a must when he is playing!

Soldato
Fair enough, I'll look out for a deal on a Pro controller in that case. I was hoping Tesco might have one online as I've got some Clun Card vouchers, but they don't have it listed.

Yeah we have Mario Kart and the auto accelerate and steer are a must when he is playing!

You can get a fiver off at Currys with the code GAMINGFND1.

Soldato

one thing with the controllers, the limited edition pro ones hold their value really well so may be worth paying slightly more for one if you can get at retail pricing.

Associate
Bowsers Fury is really really good :cool:
It is a complete mish mash of stuff but thoroughly enjoying it.
The visual upgrade of 3D World on the Switch is very noticeable compared to the WiiU version. Cannot wait for Nintendo to adopt HDR in a mario game.

Soldato
Im in mid 30s and Mario games make 90% of all other games look and play like unpolished turds.

47 here. Gaming since 1982. Mario Galaxy and Odyssey would both be in my top 10 games of all time. My kids are 6 and 9 and love all Mario games. As does the wife, who (I believe) has played every single Mario game that has ever existed :)

Strangely though, I've never liked the classic Mario "2D" platformers. Don't do it for me at all. But that's just me.

Ordered the new mario 3D world from Amazon for release day - what a surprise it hasn’t turned up. Never pre ordering from them again. Disappointing. Don’t understand why they don’t ship out a day earlier.

I think it's luck of the draw with Amazon. When I ordered Burning Crusade and The Lich King (World of Warcraft expansions), they both arrived 1 day late. My copy of Super Mario 3D World did arrive on launch day though (12th).

Maybe you’re to old for mario games ?

my 7 year old loves it

I'm 43 this year and I'm rocking Mario Galaxy and 3D World :)

Strangely though, I've never liked the classic Mario "2D" platformers. Don't do it for me at all. But that's just me.

I like the 2D Marios, but like you said, I prefer the 3D Marios. Weird really because with Sonic the Hedgehog, it's the other way round for me - the 2D Sonics better than the 3D Sonics imo.

Back to Super Mario 3D World - I'm a first-timer here and I'm loving it. The artwork is great and there is plenty of variety in the levels. The biggest fun element is that I'm finding numerous secrets in the game, which are the green stars. Quite often, I tend to find the 1st and 3rd green star in any given level but I miss out the 2nd one. I'm also finding secrets on the world maps too. You can play as Mario, Peach, Luigi etc and Rosalina becomes playable too when you have reached a certain level but not sure which one it is. I'm now on day 5 and already part way through World 5. No idea how much left of the game there is. Also, the power-ups are awesome! You have different sizes of your character and that basically tells you how many hits you can take before you lose a life. You have different suits as well, the cat suit being the one you'll see the most. There is also a brown suit which I think is a raccoon, and then a white suit which I think is a bear? The white one seems to be an invincible mode (without a time limit) but you can still fall off ledges which I have a nasty knack of doing!

Back
Top Bottom