BMW 330e

Soldato
I just bumped (not literally) into a bloke at my local Lidl, who had coincidentally just acquired a new 330e and was trying out the PodPoint 7kW chargers that are free there. We got chatting and he'd been told by the dealer not to bother getting a charge point installed at home, as it wasn't worth it financially, which I found incredibly odd.

After a nice chat (distanced obviously), he drives most days to his work place and back home completing a total of 21 miles, or 42 miles if he's doing a split shift. He so far has only been charging the car on the odd occasion he found one at Tesco or in this case Lidl. Once I'd explained the fuel savings he could be making, it would take roughly one year to pay for the charge point install in fuel savings and electricity costs, and that his entire journey both ways could be completed in EV mode only never touching the fuel in the tank.

Seems that people are being fed duff information from the get go in some instances, and thus are not bothering to even investigate any further just taking it as gospel so to speak, it shows that lack of education and understanding the basics is harming what could otherwise be a much better product for the end user. It is terribly sad that there isn't more information given by the suppliers, and people end up being recommended to do the wrong thing in some instances.

Soldato
One of the key barriers to EV adoption in general is the dealers. Far from all of them, as some are really quite good when it comes to EVs. They either go for it or they dont.

Soldato
I just bumped (not literally) into a bloke at my local Lidl, who had coincidentally just acquired a new 330e and was trying out the PodPoint 7kW chargers that are free there. We got chatting and he'd been told by the dealer not to bother getting a charge point installed at home, as it wasn't worth it financially, which I found incredibly odd.

After a nice chat (distanced obviously), he drives most days to his work place and back home completing a total of 21 miles, or 42 miles if he's doing a split shift. He so far has only been charging the car on the odd occasion he found one at Tesco or in this case Lidl. Once I'd explained the fuel savings he could be making, it would take roughly one year to pay for the charge point install in fuel savings and electricity costs, and that his entire journey both ways could be completed in EV mode only never touching the fuel in the tank.

Seems that people are being fed duff information from the get go in some instances, and thus are not bothering to even investigate any further just taking it as gospel so to speak, it shows that lack of education and understanding the basics is harming what could otherwise be a much better product for the end user. It is terribly sad that there isn't more information given by the suppliers, and people end up being recommended to do the wrong thing in some instances.

Utterly bizarre.

Anyone with a 25 mile round commute and a charge point at home could go months without having to fill up once.

Associate
OP
I was going to stay on car allowance and treat myself to a new 4 series, but due to the massive tax savings I may as well opt back in and go for the 330e
Some great advice in this thread....when you get through the squabbling lol

Soldato
I was going to stay on car allowance and treat myself to a new 4 series, but due to the massive tax savings I may as well opt back in and go for the 330e
Some great advice in this thread....when you get through the squabbling lol
You can't argue with those company car rates! 4 series look great imo i need to get the wife to upgrade her 2016 model to a new one, so i can pinch the keys!

Soldato
Utterly bizarre.

Anyone with a 25 mile round commute and a charge point at home could go months without having to fill up once.

The car comes supplied with a charger. It's 10A for a standard socket but they only charge at 16A max anyway. Either way it's not going to be quick so there's not much point in getting an expensive wall charger.

Soldato
The car comes supplied with a charger. It's 10A for a standard socket but they only charge at 16A max anyway. Either way it's not going to be quick so there's not much point in getting an expensive wall charger.
That's exactly how I'd have interpreted what the dealer said.

To be honest, what would be bizarre would be someone buying a 330e without having already considered how they could commute on electricity only. Unless it was a company car and chosen for the BIK of course.

Caporegime
I was open to getting a PHEV as my commute was 10 miles each way (I work from home mainly now anyway)

But the deal on the Polestar 2 was better than the really decent PHEV's like the GLE or the X5 and the tax is still a lot less.

1% as of April 2021, instead of 7% or whatever it was.

Soldato

I’m no expert but a family member bought a 530e and BMW installed a wall charger on the side of his house. Charges overnight and manages a 20 mile commute every day easily. He also has an electricity tariff that lowers the cost of energy overnight so he’s laughing. If you tick all the boxes these hybrids make an awful lot of sense.

Soldato
I do the same but to me the wall charger was pretty pricey and doesn't really offer anything over the 3pin EVSE so I just use that. Octopus go faster is the choice tariff for me.

Associate
We had a 530e on lease half the mileage on it was pure electric even on longer trips all the slow moving was pure ev so we often got 50+ mpg out of it.
Get a wall charger we have QUBEV - EV Charging Unit | Type 2 Socket | 32 Amp/7.2 kW | IP65 | £229 but you will need a electrician to fit it properly.

Associate
OP
I thought the charging points would be more expensive tbh - will have a look at them.
I notice on the government website that you can only use certain companys to qualify for the grant, so depends how much they hike the prices I suppose.

Soldato
Is anyone over thinking mileage on these? I.e. people asking how many miles on the electric versus petrol? Does it make any difference?

Just wondering whether a second hand one that is entirely electric would be more appealing than the opposite from a wear and tear point of view.

Soldato
I thought the charging points would be more expensive tbh - will have a look at them.
I notice on the government website that you can only use certain companys to qualify for the grant, so depends how much they hike the prices I suppose.

I think the price above is misleading. They are not that cheap once labour and materials are factored in!

Soldato
Yes I would say you need to set aside at least £400 for a charge point and install. As previously stated a great option is to get a 32A commando socket, and the commando version of the Ohme though Octopus Energy for £199, it isn't as neat as a full install, but you can happily put it in a wall box if you wish and make it semi permanent.

Associate
I was open to getting a PHEV as my commute was 10 miles each way (I work from home mainly now anyway)

But the deal on the Polestar 2 was better than the really decent PHEV's like the GLE or the X5 and the tax is still a lot less.

1% as of April 2021, instead of 7% or whatever it was.
The tax break is insane.

Sensible head says to opt in to car scheme and get an EV for work and local duties.

Normal head suggests keeping allowance and getting a nice straight six petrol as a last hurrah before 2030, let the battery tech improve and get a Tesla etc in 5 years

Back
Top Bottom