• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Soldato
Nope not looking, got a second hand 2080ti for £470 I've water cooled it with an AIO and it runs all my sim games without issue.

So no need for new shiny just yet, Ryzen 3700x 16gb of 3200 ram plus x570 board I don't need a new GPU....... unless I see shiny in stock for good price (which I doubt) I wait it out.

Might buy some 3600 ram though..... maybe a new power supply.

Caporegime
If your adding a wattage amount of heat to a room by mining you will use that amount less with your heating. So saying mining is wasteful is plain wrong if you're making use of the heat your wasting nothing.
So yes great logic. Simple maths really that your obviously not getting.
So to conclude, you think that mining overall can not be considered wasteful, no matter how many GPU's it is using on full blast, as long as it is also being used to heat the room it is in.

Irrefutable logic. :D

Last edited:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
If your adding a wattage amount of heat to a room by mining you will use that amount less with your heating. So saying mining is wasteful is plain wrong if you're making use of the heat your wasting nothing.
So yes great logic. Simple maths really that your obviously not getting.

Damn, I'm so stupid... I thought fuel price and efficiency were factors when considering how best to heat my house. Thanks for your sage advice... I'm gonna rip out my gas combi boiler and radiators, and go buy a load of light bulbs and gfx cards to heat the house.

Caporegime
Then of course there's the fact that many will still be "heating their house" with their GPUs in the middle of summer, if the BTC price holds or climbs further :p

Associate
I sort of kept an eye on a few gpus late last year, pretty much given up looking this year(unless things change) . Looks like maybe another year out of my trusty 290x

Associate
I saw a few of them priced between 750 to 800 quid yesterday... I refused to pay these prices, but they were gone in 5-10 mins anyway...

More like 2-3 mins, with stock levels 10+. I just watched 2 UK retailers being sold out today, each priced at £799.99.

I managed to order mine yesterday for £719.99 before this crazy price increase.

Soldato
I wonder... given that people are spending so much now, they won't be able to spend on the next generation, which Nvidia should release late this year now that AMD have caught up, and so availability should be good.

Well, one can always dream...

Associate
I wonder... given that people are spending so much now, they won't be able to spend on the next generation, which Nvidia should release late this year now that AMD have caught up, and so availability should be good.

Well, one can always dream...

Come on... who couldn't afford to spend 700£ in a couple of years just because they have spent 200£ more than they were intending today? that's like saying you coudn't afford to go to the pub tomorrow, just because they charged you 10£ for a pint yesterday...

The question is, how many people will be willing to update their PC regularly, if this becomes the norm? it isn't worth the effort. And what will happen with manufacturers selling other components? Would you be buying a new PSU, CPU, motherboard etc if you can't upgrade your GPU?

Associate
Don't worry guys, we can still pickup a copy of gone in 60 seconds
nicolascage.jpg

*disclaimer, this is light hearted fun. Not a troll

Soldato
Damn, I'm so stupid... I thought fuel price and efficiency were factors when considering how best to heat my house. Thanks for your sage advice... I'm gonna rip out my gas combi boiler and radiators, and go buy a load of light bulbs and gfx cards to heat the house.
You are. Your completely missing the point that it's not wasted energy.
Plus not everyone has gas for heating. It's cool you don't like mining, plenty of people do so tough s.

Caporegime
You are. Your completely missing the point that it's not wasted energy.
Plus not everyone has gas for heating. It's cool you don't like mining, plenty of people do so tough s.
A lot of people don't care about anything other than how much money it will make.

That is literally their only consideration.

Associate

I have all my 4 mining rigs (30 GPUs) in the Laundry room where we hang all the clothes to dry. Mrs loves it as it dries super quick and naturally as well. No need to hang outside or place in a tumble dryer or hang over loads off radiators. When there are no clothes just open the door and it it heats a whole section of the house replacing 3 radiators. add the fact that the electricity they are using is only a 10th of the profits they are generating right now and she loves these machines more and more as do I.

Back
Top Bottom