How do i stop window 10 from installing the KB4601319 update ?

Soldato
Guys windows 10 keeps installing the KB4601319 update which then breaks my windows install
I having to keep uninstalling this update everyday as windows keeps auto installing it :rolleyes:

How do i stop windows from installing this update ?

Man of Honour
Dunno if there is a more up to date guide:

https://www.repairwin.com/prevent-a-specific-windows-update-or-driver-from-installing-in-windows-10/

EDIT: Possibly more up to date version https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-block-unwanted-windows-driver-updates-installing-windows-10/

Long story short though you can't - you can prevent Windows 10 from installing it for awhile but at some random point it will decide you should have it and ignore any attempts to block it until you do them all over again.

Hence why I keep the machines I actually rely on, on Windows 7.

Soldato
That depends. If it's a driver update you just tell Windows 10 to not use Windows update for drivers. Feature or security updates can be are deferred but only for so long.

Man of Honour
That depends. If it's a driver update you just tell Windows 10 to not use Windows update for drivers. Feature or security updates can be are deferred but only for so long.

Doesn't work necessarily - Windows 10 will still decide you should have an update and it will install it at some point regardless - the driver option never worked properly like you are describing and now only controls whether a driver update also installs additional support software/content or just the driver itself.

I'm still not sure whether the developers are doing this intentionally for *reasons* unaware/uncaring how obnoxious the behaviour is or just pants on head stupid.

Soldato
OP
Dunno if there is a more up to date guide:

https://www.repairwin.com/prevent-a-specific-windows-update-or-driver-from-installing-in-windows-10/

EDIT: Possibly more up to date version https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-block-unwanted-windows-driver-updates-installing-windows-10/

Long story short though you can't - you can prevent Windows 10 from installing it for awhile but at some random point it will decide you should have it and ignore any attempts to block it until you do them all over again.

Hence why I keep the machines I actually rely on, on Windows 7.
Thanks but it Looks like the download links have gone now
To prevent the automatic installation of a specific Windows Update or an updated driver on Windows 10:
1. Download and save the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter tool on your computer.

2. Run the Show or hide updates tool and select Next at first screen.

Man of Honour
I'm not at a Windows 10 machine but I think that option is now on the right hand pane of the control panel somewhere rather than an external tool.

Man of Honour
This latest update took about 1hr 30m to install on my laptop, the last 90-100% took an hour, it was torture, working ok though. My Pc literally took 5 min and is fine as well, go figure.

What I really hate - my dad's PC has a ton of stuff installed between his use and it generally gets used by my nephews, etc. - Windows 10 updates rarely take longer than 10 minutes to install, issues post update not very common either. My machines are generally well optimised (nothing too dodgy like going to extremes disabling services which might break things) and updates can quite regularly take like 2 hours or get stuck forever at 11% kind of stuff, etc.

I have several devices where I have a pair of the same hardware basically running a clone software environment and there can be a completely different outcome with any Windows 10 update that makes no sense at all.

Soldato
You say you do "nothing too dodgy" yet I've never, in the history of modern Windows (going back nearly 20 years), had any update, including W10 'feature updates' take more than 30 minutes.

Even on our horribly saturated WIFI and underpowered laptops with old fashioned HDDs it can't have taken more than an hour to push and install major updates to hundreds of PCs.

Man of Honour
You say you do "nothing too dodgy" yet I've never, in the history of modern Windows (going back nearly 20 years), had any update, including W10 'feature updates' take more than 30 minutes.

Even on our horribly saturated WIFI and underpowered laptops with old fashioned HDDs it can't have taken more than an hour to push and install major updates to hundreds of PCs.

Windows 10 is notorious for it - isn't just me (Google "windows 10 update taking hours", etc.)

Yeah Windows 10 is notorious for it, along with Windows Server 2016. Microsoft have more faith in their updates than they should.

You must be very lucky to never have an update take longer than 60 minutes in your life with poor Wifi and mechanical disks. You should play the lottery.

Soldato
I've got the opposite problem I can't receive any updates at all somethings broken somewhere last succesful attempt was 4th December just reports "can't connect to update service" and other errors about something not being able to be installed. Probably going to have to reinstall windows at some point.

Soldato
In local security policy editor (gpedit.msc) go to Computer Config, Admin Templates, Windows Components and Windows Updates.

Configure Automatic Updates = Disabled

Browse the Update Catalog once in a while, download and install the latest updates.

Soldato
I didn't know much about KB........ update, until yesterday. I was switching off my main PC, going to restart it to then flash my BIOS. But it hung for ages at the "Preparing to configure Windows Update" screen with the swirling thingy and just would not change from that. Eventually, after an hour, I kept my finger on the power button, but then also needed to remove the power to the PC, and managed to reboot it. I then checked for Windows updates and noticed that KB4601319 was part way through the download / install process. That seemed to go on for a long time. Thankfully, after WU claimed to have finished, I then shut the PC down and that same process of "configuring...................." only lasted for less than a minute and it shut down and then started fine.
This has the potential to be fun for our media server in the loft. I have remote access but if it craps out then it is a fun job getting actual access to it.

Happy days, as usual, with WU.

Caporegime
I didn't know much about KB........ update, until yesterday. I was switching off my main PC, going to restart it to then flash my BIOS. But it hung for ages at the "Preparing to configure Windows Update" screen with the swirling thingy and just would not change from that. Eventually, after an hour, I kept my finger on the power button, but then also needed to remove the power to the PC, and managed to reboot it. I then checked for Windows updates and noticed that KB4601319 was part way through the download / install process. That seemed to go on for a long time. Thankfully, after WU claimed to have finished, I then shut the PC down and that same process of "configuring...................." only lasted for less than a minute and it shut down and then started fine.
This has the potential to be fun for our media server in the loft. I have remote access but if it craps out then it is a fun job getting actual access to it.

Happy days, as usual, with WU.

Did that for me too after it took an age to install, although it wasn't for that long, was a while though, was just sat there for bloody ages, i kept moving my mouse, to make sure it hadn't hung, and it did the same after the restart too, to continue and finish off.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I had no problem installing this update, But once it installed most the stuff i opened would just auto close in roughly 5 seconds
(I.E web browsers, Text Documents, lots of the stuff in the control panel, etc )

Soldato
Did that for me too after it took an age to install, although it wasn't for that long, was a while though, was just sat there for bloody ages, i kept moving my mouse, to make sure it hadn't hung, and it did the same after the restart too, to continue and finish off.

I kinda figured that something was wrong when the update first tried to install. As mentioned I selected to shutdown the PC where if there was a planned install of an update the option would have been to configure an update and shutdown.
That wasn't there tho. And after one hour it was still at the configuring update part.
Only when I managed to reboot into Windows it then downloaded that KB update after manually checking for updates, and this time others to go with it, and after that it installed fine. I am guessing that the first attempt something corrupted or went wrong.
It did remind me to do another Macrium Reflect backup both on my main PC and the media server, just in case...

Back
Top Bottom