Keyboard choices??

Soldato
My current keyboard (Microsoft, digital media keyboard) has to be over 10 years old now, although it still works OK, it is starting to look shabby (plastic is now shiny through use.) Also it's a little bit on the large side, though I like it having a numeric pad. I'm sure there are better designed layouts.

So what is the general consensus do I just buy another cheapo and run with it for another 10 years or spend a bit more? Can you really feel the difference between say a £30 and £100 keyboard? £100 would be my absolute spending limit, less if there is something that jumps out as decent and well priced.

What is your weapon of choice??

Permabanned
I prefer the smaller tenkeyless keyboards because the larger keyboards, the additional width gets in the way of the mouse. I also prefer mechanical keyboards, mainly because I get to choose the type of switch they use. You can choose clicky, non clicky, gaming keys and so on. Provided you choose a keyboard with Cherry switches you are assured of a long life and consistent performance. I am a heavy user, and they last me longer than any other switch. At the moment I am using Cherry Red Silent, which are great. I am using a fnatic ministreak silent red, which cost £99.

Thing is, your requirement may well be different to mine, so....

Permabanned
A good quality mechanical is better, with switches to suit your style. However choice is limited at the moment, barely any of the decent brand/model keyboards seem to be in stock anywhere.

*edit, actually the one pp111 Mention above seems ok, I need a new keyboard.

Soldato
OP
A good quality mechanical is better, with switches to suit your style. However choice is limited at the moment,

You're not wrong there. I thought it was limited to GPU's & CPU's. But lot's of the "Ducky" keyboard variants appear scarce. Plus on choosing a mechanical key that suits, it's difficult to get out and try one to get a feel for the difference.

It's not urgent, I am basically nosey and wondered what folk are using as I'm about 10 years out of date:)

Permabanned
You're not wrong there. I thought it was limited to GPU's & CPU's. But lot's of the "Ducky" keyboard variants appear scarce. Plus on choosing a mechanical key that suits, it's difficult to get out and try one to get a feel for the difference.

It's not urgent, I am basically nosey and wondered what folk are using as I'm about 10 years out of date:)

You can get tester kits of a load of the various switches. To try and get a feel of what each one is like.

Soldato
I got a mechanical keyboard, about 5 years ago, thermaltake, it was the cheaper end of mechanical boards about £65 but it's fine.

To be honest, I don't think there is that much in it over a digital keyboard personally.

You can press more keys simultaneously on a mechanical keyboard I suppose.

I would say if you're not that fussed save yourself some cash and get a decent digital one.

Soldato
OP
What's the model you have currently?
Really old (at least 10 years old) Microsoft, Digital media 3000, nothing special in any way. Can't even remember what I paid for it. I'll probably end up getting something in the £50-75 ish bracket. Plus not sure if I'd get used to tactile or clicky, having never used one. I guess at what I want to pay it will end up being a membrane rather than a cheap-end mechanical.

I'll spend some time later today and see if anything obvious pops up in my self imposed price bracket.

Soldato
Unless you need gaming features or a mechanical i don't think there's any shame in another budget end MS keyboard personally, they're not what they use to be, but for the price it doesn't matter if you're chucking it in the bin after a few years anyway. A fancy mech is nice, but it's not all that imho (the old boy has an xtrfy mech and i don't find it world changing compared to my budget gaming Corsair jobby, he says different but he primarily uses the PC for shopping, so pinch of salt, he'd justify a chocolate teapot).

Soldato
OP
Unless you need gaming features or a mechanical i don't think there's any shame in another budget end MS keyboard personally, they're not what they use to be, but for the price it doesn't matter if you're chucking it in the bin after a few years anyway. A fancy mech is nice, but it's not all that imho (the old boy has an xtrfy mech and i don't find it world changing compared to my budget gaming Corsair jobby, he says different but he primarily uses the PC for shopping, so pinch of salt, he'd justify a chocolate teapot).

That echoes my own view really. I'm not a gamer or a "power-user" whatever that might be? Current keyboard does everything I need, just looks its age now, a bit like me.;):)
I think there's an element of lock-down fatigue creeping in, and I just fancy a treat. My thoughts were if I am going to get something I would get something with a little more quality to it. That said, my current cheapo is 10 years in and never missed a beat so spending a lot more may be a fools errand. When I thought about it the only features I'd really like to see are perhaps a smaller footprint on the desk (while keeping numeric pad) and some simple backlight for the keys.

Had a look yesterday and the Keychron K1 caught my eye. It's a slim format mechanical that is pretty compact. That comes in at $90 ish. So I guess £90 over here. (if and when they come back into stock) But that is right at the top end of what I want to spend. Over the next few days I will see if there is anything similar at less money. Some of the problem when looking is there is too much choice and when you do find one it's never in stock at the moment.

Permabanned
That echoes my own view really. I'm not a gamer or a "power-user" whatever that might be? Current keyboard does everything I need, just looks its age now, a bit like me.;):)
I think there's an element of lock-down fatigue creeping in, and I just fancy a treat. My thoughts were if I am going to get something I would get something with a little more quality to it. That said, my current cheapo is 10 years in and never missed a beat so spending a lot more may be a fools errand. When I thought about it the only features I'd really like to see are perhaps a smaller footprint on the desk (while keeping numeric pad) and some simple backlight for the keys.

Had a look yesterday and the Keychron K1 caught my eye. It's a slim format mechanical that is pretty compact. That comes in at $90 ish. So I guess £90 over here. (if and when they come back into stock) But that is right at the top end of what I want to spend. Over the next few days I will see if there is anything similar at less money. Some of the problem when looking is there is too much choice and when you do find one it's never in stock at the moment.

That K1 looks nice, however I dont know how those low profile switches fare compared to the normal sizes. Given the normal switches are interchangeable. I use my sons non mech keyboard a bit, steelseries, and compared to my mech its no worse imo. Given your use case just find a decent quality keyboard you like the looks of, any good quality keyboard will be fine, mech or not. :)

*edit

Just found some stock here

The Keyboard Company | Keyboards & Mice Sales Distribution

Ordered a Keychron K8 Tenkeyless with gateron brown switches!

They also seem to have stock of the K1 you were interested in.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Absolutely worth getting a good mechanical keyboard.
I like the Ducky One2 with Cherry Red switches.

The Ducky One2 with Cherry red switches is on my possible choices list. Price is against it though. For a One2, White backlit - Red Cherry MX keys you are north of £110. Don't think I can justify over £100 on a keyboard to myself. Plus at the moment you can't get out and try one in the flesh anywhere.

Associate

I got my Filco from there about 10 or so years ago and it still looks like the day I got it (UK Filco Majestouch-2, Tenkeyless, MX Blue Click). Bit of shine on the keys as to be expected but due to the keycaps the legends don't rub off.
Really solid board, no flex, like you could kill someone with it.
My opinion is a good mechanical is worth it given the time I spend on the PC as it does feel so much better. I even got a Pok3R with Cherry Clears for work.

I'm not going to suggest it will change your world but its a much better typing experience for me.

If you get Cherry blues I hope you are in your own room with the PC. People don't tend to like the noise :D

Caporegime
My current keyboard (Microsoft, digital media keyboard) has to be over 10 years old now, although it still works OK, it is starting to look shabby (plastic is now shiny through use.) Also it's a little bit on the large side, though I like it having a numeric pad. I'm sure there are better designed layouts.

So what is the general consensus do I just buy another cheapo and run with it for another 10 years or spend a bit more? Can you really feel the difference between say a £30 and £100 keyboard? £100 would be my absolute spending limit, less if there is something that jumps out as decent and well priced.

What is your weapon of choice??
Have a look in the MM, I got a lovely Corsair Strafe RGB V2 with silent red switches and it’s just lovely. Not too noisy, number pad, dedicated media controls, good backlight with all sorts of effects if that’s your thing.

Permabanned
I got my Filco from there about 10 or so years ago and it still looks like the day I got it (UK Filco Majestouch-2, Tenkeyless, MX Blue Click). Bit of shine on the keys as to be expected but due to the keycaps the legends don't rub off.
Really solid board, no flex, like you could kill someone with it.
My opinion is a good mechanical is worth it given the time I spend on the PC as it does feel so much better. I even got a Pok3R with Cherry Clears for work.

I'm not going to suggest it will change your world but its a much better typing experience for me.

If you get Cherry blues I hope you are in your own room with the PC. People don't tend to like the noise :D

Went with gateron brown, though my current logitech mech is noisy anyway.

Back
Top Bottom