• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Voodoo 5 6000 remade

Caporegime
Last edited:
Associate
Amazing.

I had a Voodoo 5 5500. Loved that card. Pioneering with the AA.

i was just about to say that.

It had hardware AA, not software BS.
And the boxes with the eyes were soo cool.]

**Do Not Hotlink images and from a competitor **

I would have defo bough 6000 had 3dfx not folded. http://www.kickassgear.com/Reviews/images/FlameheadBox.jpg

ahh those were the days......

I blamed Nvidia back in the day for not being able to buy the 6000 series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
OP
I blamed Nvidia back in the day for not being able to buy the 6000 series.

More down to bad management on the 3dfx side. Rampage kept getting delayed due to getting features added and engineers diverted from it to work on stopgap products, buying stb so they could produce their own cards and cutting off their partners was the final nail in the coffin for them. A pity as the specs of rampage had it looking to be a total beast, nvidia didn't have anything rivalling it until some of the high end geforce 4 models.

From the 3dfx dodge garage:

1 Rampage chip w/64MB $200 USD
1 Rampage/1 Sage w/64MB $300 USD
2 Rampage/1 Sage w/128MB $500 USD

Note- The flagship product Specter 3000 would have been a killer piece of hardware for the time frame. 2 Rampage chips in SLI mode with Sage combined with DDR ram would have had 10.2 GB/S bandwidth with a fillrate of 1600-2000Mpixels/S.

To give you a point of reference Nvidia didn't have anything matching these performance specs till some Geforce 4 models were released years later.

Associate
More down to bad management on the 3dfx side. Rampage kept getting delayed due to getting features added and engineers diverted from it to work on stopgap products, buying stb so they could produce their own cards and cutting off their partners was the final nail in the coffin for them. A pity as the specs of rampage had it looking to be a total beast, nvidia didn't have anything rivalling it until some of the high end geforce 4 models.

From the 3dfx dodge garage:

agreed. I think nvidia got some great tech from 3dfx in their acquisition, but i remember being ****** off and saying i will never buy geforce card again.

That is one of the reasons I then upgraded my 5500 to PowerVR Kyro 2. tile rendering that's still used in mobiles to this day.

Soldato
I guess all of you guys that remember this are old farts like me 40+ now. How time flies.:D:D:D
51 here :o:o:o

I had the voodoo 1, Voodoo 2, Voodoo 3000 or 3500 AGP (Think that was the name back then), and Voodoo 5 5500

If i remember right the voodoo card colour was only 16 bit where Nvidia cards were 32-bit
and then there was a big thing about nvidia GPU's supporting T&L (think T&L what it was called)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP

I still remember some of the comments at the time when the voodoo 5 6k was first shown, "omg that will kill airflow" was one of the main ones along with comments about the external power supply (as opposed to today where you would need to spend more on a psu for some gpu's, that card was going to come with it's own yet that was somehow a negative for some people). A 4 gpu card was insane at the time and still mental today, but it would work because of how their sli worked, vs the later multi gpu variations.

Pity it never officially at least seen the light of day, even the ones that did get out the door later on still had unresolved bugs that were never worked out, presumably the software was never really fully written for release standard drivers supporting 4 gpu's.

Caporegime
OP
51 here :o:o:o

I had the voodoo 1, Voodoo 2, Voodoo 3000 or 3500 AGP (Think that was the name back then), and Voodoo 5 5500

If i remember right the voodoo card colour was only 16 bit where Nvidia cards were 32-bit
and then there was a big thing about nvidia GPU's supporting T&L (think T&L what it was called)

At the time 32 bit colour introduced a performance penalty so 3dfx held off on supporting it until later, i think they had 24 bit colour support which was meant to be close to 32 bit in looks but less of a performance impact, the voodoo 3 series (avenger) used this method. The napalm series (voodoo 4500 and 5500) afaik did support 32 bit colour.

Hardware transform and lighting's main benefit was it shifted more load to the gpu and freed up cpu cycles, but the extent to which it done this was overblown from what i can remember.

Soldato
Amazing.

I had a Voodoo 5 5500. Loved that card. Pioneering with the AA.
That was yet another feature they copied not pioneered :) Sorry as an old school fanboy I couldn't help it. What I always remembered about 3DFX was they went for high speed but poor image quality. (poor compared to other GPU's not poor overall)

Back
Top Bottom