3060Ti build advice

Associate
Following on from this thread, I have now split and sold the majority of the old system and managed to secure a 3060Ti FE in the last drop this week!!! So now I need to make a decision and order the rest of the system.

Is the I5 10400/B460 still a good paring or is the RYzen 3600/B550 worth the extra?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £340.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Total: £439.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Understand the memory will be restricted to 2666MHz on the I5 but its cheaper than the slower modules.

The rest that I will probably be going for is:

Case: Corsair 4000D or Fractal Meshify C
PSU: Corsair TX650M

SSD: WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD (already have)

Are there any other combinations or parts I should be considering? I5-10600K?

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Associate
I would get the intel as the price difference to the Ryzen 3600 isn't worth it. https://youtu.be/63WU6sL_tgA

I would use the price difference you are saving for the intel v amd options you list to buy a second nvme ssd for storing games on

Soldato
For gaming today, the Intel. However the 3600 is a little better in multithreaded stuff and has a better upgrade path. Could drop a 5900X in the system two years later for a nice upgrade.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply's.

I was all set for going down the Intel route but yesterday's announcement about B and H series boards not supporting 11th gen has made me think again.

Probably going to spend the bit extra and get the AMD set up.

Thanks again

Associate
Thanks for the reply's.

I was all set for going down the Intel route but yesterday's announcement about B and H series boards not supporting 11th gen has made me think again.

Probably going to spend the bit extra and get the AMD set up.

Thanks again

Do some research and see what you can get a z490 gaming board for. I snagged one for £100 and if you check, many are PCIE 4.0 ready and forward compatibile for 11th gen Intel. I went i5-10400f route for boy's PC and saved about £100 to get better gaming performance...at a later date, drop in a i5-10600k for £180 as opposed to a 5600x at £300. AMD is waaaay overpriced at the mo.

I also had three problems with AMD builds too...ram incompatibility, mobo not flashed to latest bios meaning no boot out of box and CPU socket tear outs when changing coolers/bent pins despite warming the socket as AMD use a legacy clamp. Previous FX builds were also a heap of crap. And this is from me who's daily driver is a ryzen 5 3600! AMD is hyped and it's not all roses.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the alternative view.

Have had a quick look and you're right can get a 10400 and z490 for less than a ryzen 3600. Certainly something to look at again then.

Which Z490 did you go for in the end? If you don't mind me asking

Associate
OP
An update, decided to blow any pretense of a budget out the window and went for the following:

Total: £380.08 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Last bits should be arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to building it! Expecting a big improvement over what I had previously.

Full build:
Total: £638.21 (includes shipping: £12.30)

A 3060ti FE and a Corsair TX650M PSU. May get a NVMe drive to use as the boot and have the ssd as main storage but spent enough this month now.

Will put a build thread up once it's done.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Soldato
An update, decided to blow any pretense of a budget out the window and went for the following:

Total: £380.08 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Last bits should be arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to building it! Expecting a big improvement over what I had previously.

Full build:
Total: £638.21 (includes shipping: £12.30)

A 3060ti FE and a Corsair TX650M PSU. May get a NVMe drive to use as the boot and have the ssd as main storage but spent enough this month now.

Will put a build thread up once it's done.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Looks good. I would have gone with the WD Blue SN550 over the standard Blue, but not a huge issue.

Total: £101.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Associate
OP
Looks good. I would have gone with the WD Blue SN550 over the standard Blue, but not a huge issue.

Total: £101.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

The Standard SSD drive is one that I purchased last year to try and make my old Core2Quad system useable so just going to reuse it for the time being. may add a NVMe version at a later date and turn this into a storage drive.

Soldato
The Standard SSD drive is one that I purchased last year to try and make my old Core2Quad system useable so just going to reuse it for the time being. may add a NVMe version at a later date and turn this into a storage drive.

No worries. The Blue is one of the better SATA SSD's anyway. An NVMe will make more of a difference once direct storage becomes a thing.

Associate
OP
All the items arrived at the start of the week and I've spent the last couple of evenings building it and getting setup.

Impressed at how easy it all went together, booted to BIOS the first time, but did need to reinstall Windows as it wouldn't recognise the previous installation.

Below are a couple of pics of the build:

JeJTMHEMuzFEfWyx9

V71bHoz4fKtJnBt16

Km5Cr8h62QdZ79kE9

K2tPhLJE9duQpd2s7

Cable management was nice and easy. Really pleased with how its turned out but already thinking of a few additions lol.

Back
Top Bottom