Crucial 32gb (2x16gb) cl16 3600 BL2K16G36C16U4B - Single Rank

Associate
Hey,

Has anyone bought these recently and got dual rank E-die? (Either vanilla or RGB versions).

Cheers,

Su

I got my red 2*16 Crucial 3600's in October. I used Thaiphoon Burner with them. The tool saud it hadn't seen these before and so I accepted the option to upload the details to it's database.

I find it amazing that i can run all memtests on these at 3600 Mhz with XMP and they pass fine. Yet go into Fortnite and the game crashes within minutes. Drop back to 3200 and all is well again.

Soldato
I got my red 2*16 Crucial 3600's in October. I used Thaiphoon Burner with them. The tool saud it hadn't seen these before and so I accepted the option to upload the details to it's database.

I find it amazing that i can run all memtests on these at 3600 Mhz with XMP and they pass fine. Yet go into Fortnite and the game crashes within minutes. Drop back to 3200 and all is well again.

Tried upping VCCIO/VCCSA or whatever the equivalent AMD ones are?

I suspect it isn’t the memory at fault here.

My sticks at 4000C16 ran through 24+ hours of various mem tests but would reboot when put to sleep and misbehave when restarting.

Upping memory controller and associated voltages have resolved the issue for me.

Associate
Im sure the memory is ok too.
My SOC is 1.05V
VDDG CCD is 1.0V
VDDG IOD is 1.0V
cLDO VDDP is 0.95V

All my settings are as defined by latest Ryzen Master 'Safe' settings. No CPU overclock, PBO disabled,

I will keep hunting, since running at nrmory stock (3600 Mhz) shoild surely not be that hard to achieve on this MSI x570 Tomahawk.

Soldato
I ordered 32gbs (2x16) of this stuff back in December (not from here) with a view to upgrading the whole platform some time this year. It was on sale and seemed like good value. I got the dispatch notification but tracking showed it sitting in the vendor's warehouse for weeks, and when I got round to querying it, I was told it had been lost. Now completely out of stock, and feeling a little miffed, I opted for the refund offered which was duely processed. And then a few days later, you'd never guess what shows up in my letterbox :eek:

Anyway it's M8FB1 alright, but considering the circumstances I can't argue. I have it running in an old x170 motherboard and it's rock solid at xmp and 1T. That's close to the limits of what the CPU's memory controller can handle, which seems to attest to the quality of this stuff.

Associate
I ordered 32gbs (2x16) of this stuff back in December (not from here) with a view to upgrading the whole platform some time this year. It was on sale and seemed like good value. I got the dispatch notification but tracking showed it sitting in the vendor's warehouse for weeks, and when I got round to querying it, I was told it had been lost. Now completely out of stock, and feeling a little miffed, I opted for the refund offered which was duely processed. And then a few days later, you'd never guess what shows up in my letterbox :eek:

Anyway it's M8FB1 alright, but considering the circumstances I can't argue. I have it running in an old x170 motherboard and it's rock solid at xmp and 1T. That's close to the limits of what the CPU's memory controller can handle, which seems to attest to the quality of this stuff.
Haha result!

Soldato

Fishy alright. I'd guess there's something going on while the system is cycling between low and high power modes.

Associate
Fishy alright. I'd guess there's something going on while the system is cycling between low and high power modes.

It's better now with the newest UEFI. All stock Bios settings (except PBO off) with 3600 Mhz XMP and running smooth! Son is on Fortnite right now and is happy (something about winning a skin in some tournament).

Soldato
Arrived today... ends in M16FE, so looks like I got the "good stuff" :)

Epic fail... the label on the outside said 3600MHz, but the label on the actual RAM is 3200MHz :( guess they mis-labelled (manufacturer seal seems unbroken).

Back to the retailer they go to roll the dice on another pair. Doubt it will be E1 again...

Su

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Epic fail... the label on the outside said 3600MHz, but the label on the actual RAM is 3200MHz :( guess they mis-labelled (manufacturer seal seems unbroken).

Back to the retailer they go to roll the dice on another pair. Doubt it will be E1 again...

Su

Have you tried it in your system? Always a possibility that the sticks are 3600 and only the sticker is wrong.

Associate
Not sure what to think about this lol. I just received my kit (ordered from a US competitor since that's the only place I could find reasonably priced 32GB 3600CL16) and was initially disappointed to see CPU-Z and Thaiphoon Burner report it as single rank, but reading the thread (FreeSteam's posts) it seems that it's potentially a great kit for overclocking and tightening the timings which would negate, and even exceed, any "free" performance from an out-of-the-box dual rank kit. I've seen some people's Zen 2 parts struggle to reach stable 1900 IF, though, so I might just forget about raising RAM frequencies and focus on timings. 3600CL14 sounds like it might be doable.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Not sure what to think about this lol. I just received my kit (ordered from a US competitor since that's the only place I could find reasonably priced 32GB 3600CL16) and was initially disappointed to see CPU-Z and Thaiphoon Burner report it as single rank, but reading the thread (FreeSteam's posts) it seems that it's potentially a great kit for overclocking and tightening the timings which would negate, and even exceed, any "free" performance from an out-of-the-box dual rank kit. I've seen some people's Zen 2 parts struggle to reach stable 1900 IF, though, so I might just forget about raising RAM frequencies and focus on timings. 3600CL14 sounds like it might be doable.

Total silicon lottery! Dual rank certainly gives benefit over single rank with all other factors being equal, but which overclocks better is a variable.

I would just be grateful to have hardware in my hand at this point!

Associate
I got the BL2K16G32C16U4B (3200 Mhz) variety delivered the other day and its dual rank M16FE. Perfect for me as i have an itx board with only two ram slots. Im coming from BLS8G4D32AESBK.M8FE (single rank stuff).

At the same timings the dual rank stuff is faster than the single rank stuff. I did some basic Aida tests and ran the graphics benchmark tool in Read Dead Redemption. I left all timings and voltages at stock (XMP) initially to get the below:

rank type / speed / latency / copy / write / read / max fps / average fps

Single / 3200Mhz / 74.1ms / 43173 / 25591 / 45545 / 107fps / 78fps
Dual--/ 3200Mhz / 78.8ms / 46119 / 25592 / 45471 / 118fps / 85fps

Single / 3600Mhz / 69.4ms / 47432 / 28788 / 51010 / 109fps / 85fps
Dual--/ 3600Mhz / 70.2ms / 51637 / 28951 / 51048 / crash to desktop

So people saying dual rank is heavier on the memory controller makes sense, upping the ram voltage didnt help, i still got a CTD when trying to run the graphics benchmark. I didn't bother upping the memory controller voltage and have left the ram @3200Mhz, but I may have a tinker later to see what the fps is like with the dual rank stuff @3600Mhz.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I got the BL2K16G32C16U4B (3200 Mhz) variety delivered the other day and its dual rank M16FE. Perfect for me as i have an itx board with only two ram slots. Im coming from BLS8G4D32AESBK.M8FE (single rank stuff).

At the same timings the dual rank stuff is faster than the single rank stuff. I did some basic Aida tests and ran the graphics benchmark tool in Read Dead Redemption. I left all timings and voltages at stock (XMP) initially to get the below:

rank type / speed / latency / copy / write / read / max fps / average fps

Single / 3200Mhz / 74.1ms / 43173 / 25591 / 45545 / 107fps / 78fps
Dual--/ 3200Mhz / 78.8ms / 46119 / 25592 / 45471 / 118fps / 85fps

Single / 3600Mhz / 69.4ms / 47432 / 28788 / 51010 / 109fps / 85fps
Dual--/ 3600Mhz / 70.2ms / 51637 / 28951 / 51048 / crash to desktop

So people saying dual rank is heavier on the memory controller makes sense, upping the ram voltage didnt help, i still got a CTD when trying to run the graphics benchmark. I didn't bother upping the memory controller voltage and have left the ram @3200Mhz, but I may have a tinker later to see what the fps is like with the dual rank stuff @3600Mhz.

Nice work! That is a significant fps boost.

Associate
Wow that's a surprisingly large FPS boost, even at 3200MHz!

What CPU are you using?

I should have stated the rest of my system eh? Its a 3600 paired with a 6800. Resolution for RDR was 1440p with most settings pretty high, i guess your mileage will vary depending on the settings and games you play etc.

I dont' have the time to go into reviewer levels of detail as I'm getting old and would rather play a game than watch a loop of a benchmark :p. RDR is also the only game i think I have installed that has a benchmarking facility. I was into futuremark etc. back in the day but i think i got obsessive about getting the best score I could - i've learnt my lesson!

Soldato
I dont' have the time to go into reviewer levels of detail as I'm getting old and would rather play a game than watch a loop of a benchmark :p

Mate I hear you, the joys of growing old!

Looks like nVidia have rolled out pretty extensive support for ReBAR... would be nice if AMD could do the same on older cards (I'm rocking a 5900X with an X470 board and Vega 64).

Associate
I took a punt at a 3600 set (BL2K16G36C16U4B). They are single rank though M8FB1. Not sure if I should open them and test them against the 3200 Dual ranks or not...

Last edited:
Associate
I took a punt at a 3600 set (BL2K16G36C16U4B). They are single rank though M8FB1. Not sure if I should open them and test them against the 3200 Dual ranks or not...

I got a set that are single rank M8FB1 too :|
I dont want to go down the road of OCing really... Not sure how much performance I am leaving on the table by being single rank.

Associate
Does anyone know what the 'M16FB1' extension means in reference to single/dual rank?

The codes mentioned earlier were M16FE1 as being dual rank. Not sure if M16FB1 is also dual rank, but just using B-die?

Back
Top Bottom