• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My new Gigabyte Master 3080 RMA'D

Soldato
Ive never been so gutted in all my life, well as far as pc parts go , didnt even get a week out of it,

under load , Fans kick in 100 percent , sounds like a jet engine taking off, black screen reboot, then no vga detected and my Msi Motherboard is stuck onboard VGA warning light,

things I tried

latest Nvidia Drivers,

Unvolting it .
Installed AORUS_Fan_FW_Update_Tool_1.1
Flashed with newer 3080AORUSM_F2 bios
Buying a Brand New PSU

AORUS P850W 80+ GOLD Modular

read through tons of Reddit and Nvidia posts , I thought the issues had been sorted with Drivers, but alas not in my case
AORUS MASTER 3080 - Black screen, Fa | NVIDIA GeForce Forums

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive never been so gutted in all my life, well as far as pc parts go , didnt even get a week out of it,

under load , Fans kick in 100 percent , sounds like a jet engine taking off, black screen reboot, then no vga detected and my Msi Motherboard is stuck onboard VGA warning light,

things I tried

latest Nvidia Drivers,

Unvolting it .
Installed AORUS_Fan_FW_Update_Tool_1.1
Flashed with newer 3080AORUSM_F2 bios
Buying a Brand New PSU

AORUS P850W 80+ GOLD Modular

read through tons of Reddit and Nvidia posts , I thought the issues had been sorted with Drivers, but alas not in my case
AORUS MASTER 3080 - Black screen, Fa | NVIDIA GeForce Forums
Are you useing a riser cable by any chance

Soldato
OP
No Riser Cable, Motherboard is a Msi B550 Gaming Wifi Edge, Ram 3200 Team Group Purchased from Ocuk , Ryzen 9 3900x, Corsair A500 cooler, about 5 140 case plus 1 exhausts , latest no beta bios from MSI,

one thing i did notice was ive been using Ryzen Balanced power profile , it had PCI Express link power state management set to moderate, I changed it to off, Ill put the card back in tomorrow and see if that makes a difference, if not then its getting uplifted on Thursday to go back

my psu
AORUS P850W 80+ GOLD Modular Key Features | Power Supply - GIGABYTE U.K.

Associate
No Riser Cable, Motherboard is a Msi B550 Gaming Wifi Edge, Ram 3200 Team Group Purchased from Ocuk , Ryzen 9 3900x, Corsair A500 cooler, about 5 140 case plus 1 exhausts , latest no beta bios from MSI,

one thing i did notice was ive been using Ryzen Balanced power profile , it had PCI Express link power state management set to moderate, I changed it to off, Ill put the card back in tomorrow and see if that makes a difference, if not then its getting uplifted on Thursday to go back

my psu
AORUS P850W 80+ GOLD Modular Key Features | Power Supply - GIGABYTE U.K.
Are you using Dragon Center at all? I had so many issues with my Gigabyte 3070 gaming OC, including crashes, artifacts, black screens - all fixed once I removed every trace of dragon center from my system.

Associate
I had something very similar with my Gigabyte 3090 Gaming OC. After trying everything (new PSU included, drivers, DDU...) I RMAed it. They gave me a new one and I did not have any issues again (this was 10 days ago, fingers crossed). My GPU was a bit odd in this regard, though, it could be fine for a few days and then start doing that time after time in a question of minutes. The good news is that the RMA process took just 5 days (but I drove there to leave and collect the card) and, although they told me that the GPU was fine because they had not experienced the issue themselves, they replaced it anyway. Quite a few people are reporting the same problem in the forum, at the end, they are going to have a bunch of "totally fine" GPUs in there.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Have you tried it on a clean install of windows? I know its extreme, but maybe if you have a spare HDD lying around you could try that.

I just think sending it back for RMA may mean you won't see a replacement for months.

Soldato
OP
Have you tried it on a clean install of windows? I know its extreme, but maybe if you have a spare HDD lying around you could try that.

I just think sending it back for RMA may mean you won't see a replacement for months.
im actually going to put a pc together with a 2700x and a X3700 and a old mechanical HD , all old parts see what happens Biffa, Hopefully if it is something as simple as fresh windows i wouldnt care fingers crossed

Soldato
OP
I had something very similar with my Gigabyte 3090 Gaming OC. After trying everything (new PSU included, drivers, DDU...) I RMAed it. They gave me a new one and I did not have any issues again (this was 10 days ago, fingers crossed). My GPU was a bit odd in this regard, though, it could be fine for a few days and then start doing that time after time in a question of minutes. The good news is that the RMA process took just 5 days (but I drove there to leave and collect the card) and, although they told me that the GPU was fine because they had not experienced the issue themselves, they replaced it anyway. Quite a few people are reporting the same problem in the forum, at the end, they are going to have a bunch of "totally fine" GPUs in there.
ouch i waited 6 months and i have a 1080ti so if it
Motherboard bios?
latest non Beta think it is lemme check is this

Version
7C90v14
Release Date
2020-11-04
Description
- Updated AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.1.0.0 Patch C

the newest is

Version
7C90v15
Release Date
2021-01-26
Description
- Update to ComboAM4PIV2 1.2.0.0
- Support S.A.M technology (Re-size BAR function) to enhance GPU performance for AMD Radeon RX 6000 series.

it looks to me that the v15 is no longer in Beta

Soldato
Same here with my 3080 that's how it started but towards the end the card couldn't even run for 5 min without black screen. RMA in process, hope it doesn't take long.

I feel like we need a thread regardingt 3xxx series blackscreens.

Associate
Same here with my 3080 that's how it started but towards the end the card couldn't even run for 5 min without black screen. RMA in process, hope it doesn't take long.

I feel like we need a thread regardingt 3xxx series blackscreens.

I agree about opening a thread... I have seen a few users already reporting exactly the same, particularly with Gigabyte cards (or maybe it is that I am more aware of these). I am totally convinced that it is something power related. Mine started doing it under heavy load. I replaced the PSU and it was fine for a few days, but then the issue came back, this time not under heavy load but with power spikes. Finally, it started doing it after login into Windows. They tested my 3090 (with an i3! :p) for one hour and in their hands it was fine (not surprising, given the random nature of the stuff) but they were happy to replace it anyway :). They sent me the e-mail below:

"Hello
In regards to this returns number and reports left.
Our repair team advise no issues found with this item as reported/described but the item has been swapped for you anyway and is ready for self collection. Although your reports indicate hardware error, it does not specifically state the error is caused by the VGA so could be another hardware error.
Please see their comments below and pictures attached.
Therefore is issue persists it is very unlikely to be a VGA issue. Please advise date and ETA of self collection Monday to Friday 9am till 5pm. Item is not available for collection today but from next Monday onwards.
Regards
Returns Admin Dept

// Original card test No Fault Found, cannot find where user say "Fan start spin 100%, crash PC, sunddenly it dies 5 times in 5 min", but swap new to user, if same faulty not graphica card, may be other hardware problem. //
"

It is a very annoying problem because it may be difficult to reproduce, but it is definitely there in some cards, and they will have to admit it if they receive a bunch of them (actually, when I went there, I saw a few other 3090s around). The 3070 Eagle I have in the same system worked like a champ since the first day, though.

Soldato
I agree about opening a thread... I have seen a few users already reporting exactly the same, particularly with Gigabyte cards (or maybe it is that I am more aware of these). I am totally convinced that it is something power related. Mine started doing it under heavy load. I replaced the PSU and it was fine for a few days, but then the issue came back, this time not under heavy load but with power spikes. Finally, it started doing it after login into Windows. They tested my 3090 (with an i3! :p) for one hour and in their hands it was fine (not surprising, given the random nature of the stuff) but they were happy to replace it anyway :). They sent me the e-mail below:

"Hello
In regards to this returns number and reports left.
Our repair team advise no issues found with this item as reported/described but the item has been swapped for you anyway and is ready for self collection. Although your reports indicate hardware error, it does not specifically state the error is caused by the VGA so could be another hardware error.
Please see their comments below and pictures attached.
Therefore is issue persists it is very unlikely to be a VGA issue. Please advise date and ETA of self collection Monday to Friday 9am till 5pm. Item is not available for collection today but from next Monday onwards.
Regards
Returns Admin Dept

// Original card test No Fault Found, cannot find where user say "Fan start spin 100%, crash PC, sunddenly it dies 5 times in 5 min", but swap new to user, if same faulty not graphica card, may be other hardware problem. //
"

It is a very annoying problem because it may be difficult to reproduce, but it is definitely there in some cards, and they will have to admit it if they receive a bunch of them (actually, when I went there, I saw a few other 3090s around). The 3070 Eagle I have in the same system worked like a champ since the first day, though.
Mine was a founders edition started on heavy load, would work fine for a day or two but then deteriorated. Like yours once it got a black screen it would then be extremely unstable for a bit. Tried two different systems and 3 different power supplies. If they come back saying the card is fine I'll be damned.

Last edited:
Associate
Mine was a founders edition started on heavy load, would work fine for a day or two but then deteriorated. Like yours once it got a black screen it would then be extremely unstable for a bit. Tried two different systems and 3 different power supplies. If they come back saying the card is fine I'll be da

Hum... let´s hope they assume that it is an issue with the GPU. I am pretty sure that they have seen already a few with problems. Who knows what is the proportion, though...

Soldato
I had this and it ended up being my Aorus Vision G board. No signal and VGA light stuck on the board and I think the weight borked the PCIE slot basically.
That's nothing like the issues being talked here.

Anyway, got an update from my RMA the card was tested and confirmed as faulty.

Back
Top Bottom