Cutting in

Soldato
Do straight lines exist when decorating?!

Our first house was a new build and all very pale colours so I can't recall how neat the painting was but it certainly never bothered me.

We had our hallway plastered late last year and I painted it. Overall the finish is good but my cutting in is horrendous. I'm sure it's my technique but I'm not sure how neat I should be aiming for?

The walls are a darkish green and the woodwork and ceilings are brilliant white. It means any imperfections are even more noticeable.

I've mainly been using a cutting in brush as I found masking / frog tape either still let paint under it or peeled paint off when removing.

Any hints or tips or do I just pay a professional and live my life as a decorating disappointment?

Soldato
Paint ceiling colour onto wall so you aren't joining two different colour halves. Let dry then paint colour up to ceiling. Unless your MJ Fox it shouldn't be too off.

Masking tip above sounds interesting though!

Soldato
All that masking up sounds like hard work to me. My way is probably not much of a time saving but I go free hand, applying just the right amount of pressure to the 1" = 1.5" brush which forces the bristles out in a controlled way. If the wall / ceiling line is uneven, I have a small (4mm wide, 1mm thick) artists paintbrush to hand that is super easy to touch in any areas I can't quite get with the bigger brush but adds a lot more time.

I also use the artists brush on the top of the skirting board to get a really neat line against the wall paint. When painting the wall first, I am not so neat and don't worry about the paint getting on the skirting (although I make sure no drips/blobs are left on the skirting). Old pic of the skirting from when I did some decorating last year in one of the smaller rooms:

9PChpp8h.jpg

These are the brushes I bought (for touching up) from Amazon years ago, I use the second from the left: Link

Soldato
Associate
With Frogtape, once you've stuck it down well you can run a damp rag along the cutting in edge this will seal that edge, or get a decent sash brush and a steady hand.

Soldato
All that masking up sounds like hard work to me. My way is probably not much of a time saving but I go free hand, applying just the right amount of pressure to the 1" = 1.5" brush which forces the bristles out in a controlled way. If the wall / ceiling line is uneven, I have a small (4mm wide, 1mm thick) artists paintbrush to hand that is super easy to touch in any areas I can't quite get with the bigger brush but adds a lot more time.

I also use the artists brush on the top of the skirting board to get a really neat line against the wall paint. When painting the wall first, I am not so neat and don't worry about the paint getting on the skirting (although I make sure no drips/blobs are left on the skirting). Old pic of the skirting from when I did some decorating last year in one of the smaller rooms:
<snip>

These are the brushes I bought (for touching up) from Amazon years ago, I use the second from the left: Link
This is my general rule of thumb.

Paint ceilings with little care about the wall.
Paint wall up to ceilings with little care about the skirting.
Paint skirtings.

The masking up has always seen more faff than it is worth but I'll give it a go the next time!

Back
Top Bottom