• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My new Gigabyte Master 3080 RMA'D

Soldato
OP
What a horrible experience guys. What is it with Gigabyte stuff eh? I've never bought any of their stuff although not deliberately. Are they generally to be avoided compared to the other big brands?

Ive used their motherboards in the past, quiet liked them, Using MSI one now first one in about 15 years and its solid, my daughter has my old 980ti which is MSI, wish id of stuck to my guns and just kept the MSI 3080 I originally ordered, but the place where i got it from offered me that instead and after nearly 6 months i bit there hand off.

Soldato
I had this and it ended up being my Aorus Vision G board. No signal and VGA light stuck on the board and I think the weight borked the PCIE slot basically.

That's an interesting theory. I've often wondered how much stress/weight the pci-e slots can take. Surprising that no case designer has come up with a built in brace as such...or maybe they have. I guess you could DIY one with some wire to hang it and support it that way, or just use something makeshift to support it. For those with case windows might look a bit rubbish mind.

Soldato
What a horrible experience guys. What is it with Gigabyte stuff eh? I've never bought any of their stuff although not deliberately. Are they generally to be avoided compared to the other big brands?

Gigabyte make some of the best hardware available.

All companies release at least some bad products, and even good products have a chance of going wrong.

Soldato
Gigabyte make some of the best hardware available.

All companies release bad products, and even good products have a chance of going wrong.
Fair enough, not trying to dis them it's just that of late, it seems to be their products folk are having bother with from what I've seen browsing the forums. I appreciate that they are a well established brand.

Permabanned
That's an interesting theory. I've often wondered how much stress/weight the pci-e slots can take. Surprising that no case designer has come up with a built in brace as such...or maybe they have. I guess you could DIY one with some wire to hang it and support it that way, or just use something makeshift to support it. For those with case windows might look a bit rubbish mind.

Replaced the board and all is good now but apart from the fans it does sound like my problem. I admit it had me stressed to bits though as the board I actually replaced within 24 hours but if it had been the card...wel,l we know how that would have gone given where we are with stock shortages.

Associate
Have a look here: AORUS MASTER 3080 - Black screen, Fa | NVIDIA GeForce Forums

I am trying to start an RMA for my Gigabyte Xtreme 3090. Like in the thread above mine is happening in older games. I can play CP 2077 for hours but on some retro games it just black screens, fans ramp up and I have to reboot. I had it in Valheim as well but only in the tombs and crypts. In LOTRO it also happens when I go into a small indoor location. I currently have a character stuck in a house in Breeland because as soon as I log him in it crashes.

Really weird where it happens as in Valheim it hasn't crashed at all outside. It's like it goes into a smaller location and so a lower power/performance state but then there is a spike for some reason that crashes the card. Watching YouTube or Netflix seems to increase the chance of crashing.

Tried 4 different drivers, undervolting, locking voltage and speed (this helped a bit but only slightly), reinstalled Windows, disabling G-Sync, setting power options to performance etc. Dreading the RMA process.

Last edited:
Associate
That's nothing like the issues being talked here.

Anyway, got an update from my RMA the card was tested and confirmed as faulty.

Can I ask if they gave you any feedback? Even though I explained where mine is crashing I am worried they will just stress the card with benchmarks and send it back as working. Maybe I am doing them a disservice. :)

Associate

Gigabyte is a good brand :). They have been producing reliable PC components since forever. However, you can always get a lemon, and that happens with them, Asus, EVGA... etc. Nowadays I have assumed that this is life, so what I look for when buying a new product is that the brand is not only reputable but that their RMA service in that particular country is good. What you don't really want is to be waiting for months or, worse, having them telling you that your particular piece of hardware is OK and it won't be replaced.

It is also worth mentioning that sometimes you hear "bad" things about popular brands because they sell a lot and when we post in the forums is mostly to tell that something went wrong, not that the hardware is working as expected :).

Last edited:
Soldato
Gigabyte is a good brand :). They have been producing reliable PC components since forever. However, you can always get a lemon, and that happens with them, Asus, EVGA... etc. Nowadays I have assumed that this is life, so what I look for when buying a new product is that the brand is not only reputable but that their RMA service in that particular country is good. What you don't really want is to be waiting for months or, worse, having them telling you that your particular piece of hardware is OK and it won't be replaced.

It is also worth mentioning that sometimes you hear "bad" things about popular brands because they sell a lot and when we post in the forums is mostly to tell that something went wrong, not that the hardware is working as expected :).
Good point, well made. :cool:

Associate

I've never had any issues with Gigabyte stuff but in this case, and it seems EVGA as well, this issue is more than the odd one and seems to be mostly those two brands effected. I'm hoping that their RMA process is fairly painless as you say.

Soldato
remember for RMA, use their rma email and rep email address on here in CC and have an extra layer for a good RMA experience

rep on here has built of Gigabytes reputation as second to none due to chancing Gigabyte RMA as well as Resellers

Soldato
Can I ask if they gave you any feedback? Even though I explained where mine is crashing I am worried they will just stress the card with benchmarks and send it back as working. Maybe I am doing them a disservice. :)
Yeah they did its the same that I experienced, black screen under stress. Your problem sounds different to mine. Have you tried the latest beta driver? It's supposed to fix some low load black screening.

When you get a black screen does it recover or do you need to use the power/reset button?

Associate
Yeah they did its the same that I experienced, black screen under stress. Your problem sounds different to mine. Have you tried the latest beta driver? It's supposed to fix some low load black screening.

When you get a black screen does it recover or do you need to use the power/reset button?

Tried the latest beta drivers as well. It doesn't recover and need to power button down.

Soldato
OP
well thats my 3080 all boxed up bubble wrapped , just got to wait for DPD to pick it up tomorrow. around 10 days , to be fair there are tons of Reddit posts , Nvidia Posts and some on EVGA forums with the isues ive had, I have never felt so let down I've stuck with all my GPUS from Nvidia sine the Riva TNT , I think ive used 3 ATI (never since AMD) cards since then, I might next time just get a AMD one if I can get my mits on one

Associate
well thats my 3080 all boxed up bubble wrapped , just got to wait for DPD to pick it up tomorrow. around 10 days , to be fair there are tons of Reddit posts , Nvidia Posts and some on EVGA forums with the isues ive had, I have never felt so let down I've stuck with all my GPUS from Nvidia sine the Riva TNT , I think ive used 3 ATI (never since AMD) cards since then, I might next time just get a AMD one if I can get my mits on one

It is not great to have to RMA anything, but it may happen. In my case, I think this is the first GPU I need to replace since 1996, so it is not so bad. I am sure it will be a relatively painless experience :).

Man of Honour

So what happened in the end, you were going to build another system and test it out.

I was going to suggest, you could just put the spare HDD in your existing system and do a clean install of Windows on that.

Associate
Just logged into my RMA , says tested no fault found , I just one other thought do you think the fact the PC was plugged into a extension bar instead of the wall would make a difference?

heres a short video of the fans at max

(1) 3080 Fan wild no display - YouTube

They told me the same but they replaced my 3090 Gaming OC for a new unit and I did not have any problem since then (18 days ago). What you have is extremely similar to the issues I was suffering and it definitely was the GPU. Are they going to replace your card?

Regarding the extension bar question, it should be fine with or without it.

Caporegime
Just logged into my RMA , says tested no fault found , I just one other thought do you think the fact the PC was plugged into a extension bar instead of the wall would make a difference?

Can't imagine it would make any difference. Did you look at temps at all? It sounds like the cooler wasn't properly in contact with the core.

Back
Top Bottom