Important spec me thread: what air freshener? :)

Soldato
What do people use?

I've never bothered with them in the past, I like the faint leathery smell of a car without additional fragrance. Covid has changed that and since WFH the interior now has a faint musty smell, it gets used once per week if that.

I don't want anything cluttering up the dash or rear view mirror so intend to hang one behind a seat, it's a 2 seater.

Thanks

Soldato
I tend to spray the carpets and rear seats (not relevant in your case) with Fabreze to introduce a bit of scent in the car if its smelling a bit stale. They do an anti-bacterial one which may help kill off the spores that are causing the damp smell too.

Also an Air Con Bomb is a very good way of killing off damp smells, especially as a lot of the cause is likely to be trapped in your pollen filter.

Associate
Truth be told I just a can of Febreze under my seat that I spray from time to time, especially If im expecting a passenger.

But subbed for recommendations.

Soldato
CarChem Refresh. Has enzymes that eliminate the odours, and is available in multiple fragrances. 1 spray per footwell and one in the headliner sorts my dog-abused car out for a week or two. I've had my current 500mL bottle for almost two years now.

Soldato
If you want to post an important thread, you need to add some stars at either end of the title, and call it ***** The Official Important spec me thread: what air freshener? : ) *****
50743309342_f2ff8e8c04_o_d.gif

Soldato
OP
Update:

I took on board what Motors said and decided upon one of those "can" type air fresheners. I stuck a command hook on the underside of the passenger seat and hung the can freshener from the hook.

It's worked really well, the musty smell has gone. I don't think it made the car smell of ice, contrary to the flavour the freshener supposedly was, but it smelled pleasant.

It was just a cheapy Tesco can type freshener, obviously I didn't want to start spending serious money on an untested system (that would be crazy), but the system works well and I'm ready to commit to a better branded can type freshener.

Can I have some suggestions for brands and smells please?

Thanks

Soldato
Update:

I took on board what Motors said and decided upon one of those "can" type air fresheners. I stuck a command hook on the underside of the passenger seat and hung the can freshener from the hook.

It's worked really well, the musty smell has gone. I don't think it made the car smell of ice, contrary to the flavour the freshener supposedly was, but it smelled pleasant.

It was just a cheapy Tesco can type freshener, obviously I didn't want to start spending serious money on an untested system (that would be crazy), but the system works well and I'm ready to commit to a better branded can type freshener.

Can I have some suggestions for brands and smells please?

Thanks
California Scents Xtreme Volcanic Cherry are my go to and they smell amazing. Obviously this is very much personal preference.

Soldato
OP
California Scents Xtreme Volcanic Cherry are my go to and they smell amazing. Obviously this is very much personal preference.

Thanks for the suggestion. The Xtreme scents get great reviews but I'm unable to find the volcanic cherry anywhere apart from Amazon (I don't use Amazon due to their confusing delivery charges). I might go for the "Fresh" Xtreme, please can you confirm if the lid vent is adjustable? My gf gets sick on long car journeys with a strong air freshener. Also do they have a little tab so they can be hung up? Thanks.

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestion. The Xtreme scents get great reviews but I'm unable to find the volcanic cherry anywhere apart from Amazon (I don't use Amazon due to their confusing delivery charges). I might go for the "Fresh" Xtreme, please can you confirm if the lid vent is adjustable? My gf gets sick on long car journeys with a strong air freshener. Also do they have a little tab so they can be hung up? Thanks.
They have a twisty lid so they can be adjusted and I would definitely advise you do. The Xtreme ones do have a very strong scent. I normally get mine from Halfords.

Associate
Do they still do those ones with (pointless) fans in them that clip to the air vents? I used to have one of those back in the day. Haven't used one since though.

Back
Top Bottom