Scam call - HMRC criminal investigations

Caporegime
Here's an interesting one.

I got this call this morning. The first time it got halfway through the recorded message and then hung up. It called again and this time was silent for a few seconds, then hung up again. Obviously having trouble with their software.

The weird part however is that it was a mobile number. Curiosity piqued, I called back and the phone was answered by a lady. I explained to her that her number is being used by scammers and she started getting rather irritated and abusive so I just hung up.

So how does that work then? Unless she's somehow running the scam :confused:

Permabanned

I got this call this morning. The first time it got halfway through the recorded message and then hung up. It called again and this time was silent for a few seconds, then hung up again. Obviously having trouble with their software.

The weird part however is that it was a mobile number. Curiosity piqued, I called back and the phone was answered by a lady. I explained to her that her number is being used by scammers and she started getting rather irritated and abusive so I just hung up.

Don't ever call back a number that calls you if you think it's a scam. I don't care what anyone says but if you do call that back it may be a premium rate number and you WILL be charged a premium rate call with no chance of getting that money back.

Soldato

They are spoofing a legit number. It is a fundamental part of how VoIP works and security just hasn't yet caught up. DNS and MX records were very easy targets back in the day.

Caporegime
Don't ever call back a number that calls you if you think it's a scam. I don't care what anyone says but if you do call that back it may be a premium rate number and you WILL be charged a premium rate call with no chance of getting that money back.

Mobile number though innit. Can't make those chargeable afaik?

They are spoofing a legit number. It is a fundamental part of how VoIP works and security just hasn't yet caught up. DNS and MX records were very easy targets back in the day.

Ah gotcha, cheers. That makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom