Soldato
He'd have to have a jet strapped to his bike to enter the roundabout after a car that's doing 15 mph, cover ground across the roundabout to reach the next exit, then get across the front of the already moving car and then be hit in the back wheel.

Or the OP pulled onto a roundabout without looking properly and clipped the back of a cyclist that was already coming past him.

I know which one I think is vastly more likely to be a reflection of reality :p

I think the fact the OP immediately offered to pay for the repairs shows his immediate gut feeling was that he'd done something wrong too.
I remember a time I was about to pull over and park in a bay while in slow moving traffic and had my indicator on for quite a while as I find it easier to accept that other drivers are idiots. As I started to pull in I heard a shout and stopped becuase a cyclist had decided to undertake me despite my pulling in with my indictor flashing he threw or dropped his bike on the floor as he was getting pushed into the kerb.

At the time I was really apologetic and checked he was okay and he rode off. It was only when he rid of I thought what a stupid idiot he was. Not only undertaking a vehicle that was pulling in with indictors flashing but being on a bike and going against a big chunk of metal. Some people have empathy to others and can be apologetic even when its not their fault.

I constantly say sorry mate after someone has walked into me or blocked my way and People are idiots.

Yeah the OP could have been at fault but so could the cyclist. They were wearing lycra for gods sake. That to me shows way too much arrogance straight off. :p

Soldato
Sounds like one lucky cyclist to escape with a few grazes and a sore wrist after being clipped off his bike at breakneck speed
BREAKNECK. So quick only a lady with super vision would have been able to spot. Luckily his wife was next to him and she apparently has super vision. Oh and the other witness.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like one lucky cyclist to escape with a few grazes and a sore wrist after being clipped off his bike at breakneck speed

I'm presuming his brakes would be on just prior to the hit, what is very strange is that on my car there is not the slightest indication of hitting him, not even marks in the dust :confused:

I've now reported it to the local police, nothing will happen unless the biker also reports it, briefly I was told that if I was already across the line and had entered the roundabout then I have priority, however both sides could be shown as not taking due care and attention.

Caporegime
No you contact insurance unless you want the driver done for something like driving recklessly or without due care and attention.

Then you call the police if you want to press charges. Otherwise it's medical and insurance matter depending on injuries.

Unless you think the driver is dodgy like doesn't have insurance or a license, etc could be various reasons but your implying that it's a criminal matter if you want to involve the police.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q894.htm

If you don't give your name and address, you must report the accident at a police station or to a police constable as soon as you can, and in any case within 24 hours (this does not mean you have 24 hours in which to report the accident). If you fail to stop, fail to give your and the owner's name and address or the vehicle's details or fail to report the accident, you commit an offence/s.

If another person is injured, in addition to the above, YOU MUST:
  • Produce your certificate of insurance to a constable or anyone else having reasonable grounds to see it.
If you don't, you must report the accident at a police station or to a constable as soon as you can and in any case within 24 hours (this does not mean you have 24 hours in which to report the accident) and produce your certificate of insurance. However, if you don't have your certificate with you when you report the accident to the police, you can take it, within seven days of the accident, to the police station you nominate when you report the incident.

Also, this isn't America, in the UK the victim of a crime doesn't press charges unless it's a private prosecution.

Caporegime
Well yes but that would also depend on witnesses as well.

And op said the witness said that the cyclist had right of way and he was in the wrong.

So it's an open and shut case.

All this debating is pointless unless he magics up a dashcam and at least a few witnesses on his side.

It's a pointless debate because everything they will take into account says it's his fault.

The fact the witness said so as well never bode well for him.

If OP really wants to avoid this in future get a dashcam.

Learn his lesson and move on. Oh and drive more carefully too looking out for cyclists rather than just a quick glance for approaching vehicles.

Caporegime
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q894.htm

Also, this isn't America, in the UK the victim of a crime doesn't press charges unless it's a private prosecution.

Yeah I'm assuming he gave the cyclist his details. Because he offered to pay for damages. So no need to report to the police.

I'm amazed though that the cyclist didn't want to get insurance involved and a full medical check up.

Guy at work who uses a go pro now at all times has been hit twice by cars and said he got huge payouts.

Soldato
And op said the witness said that the cyclist had right of way and he was in the wrong.

All this debating is pointless unless he magics up a dashcam and at least a few witnesses on his side.

It's a pointless debate because everything they will take into account says it's his fault.

The fact the witness said so as well never bode well for him.

If OP really wants to avoid this in future get a dashcam.

Learn his lesson and move on. Oh and drive more carefully too looking out for cyclists rather than just a quick glance for approaching vehicles.
Lets not forget the OCUKer that had to pay out after some idiot cyclist riding well above breakneck speed with what could easily have been a jet pack on their back on the pavement and hit the side of their car while it was pulling out from a driveway. Whos fault was that really? And there was dashcam footage I believe.

Anyway I dont trust cyclists. Their eyes are always beedy and way too close together and thats never a good sign. :p

Soldato
Bizarre thread. Hit the back wheel of a cyclist on a roundabout but claiming no fault. Cyclist might be a numpty but you hit him with your car when it was completely avoidable, case closed. Have I missed anything?

He was at breakneck speed which is what allowed him to be unseen by the driver and get across the front of his car despite supposedly entering the roundabout second but he was also braking enough that he had slowed sufficiently to only receive a bit of grazing and a bruised wrist when he was actually knocked off the bike.

He's possibly the UK fastest cyclist with the world's best brakes :p

Caporegime
Lets not forget the OCUKer that had to pay out after some idiot cyclist riding well above breakneck speed with what could easily have been a jet pack on their back on the pavement and hit the side of their car while it was pulling out from a driveway. Whos fault was that really? And there was dashcam footage I believe.

Anyway I dont trust cyclists. Their eyes are always beedy and way too close together and thats never a good sign. :p

If your pulling out of the driveway then your at fault.

I don't see the issue their either.

Everyone else has right of way.

Soldato
so if i'm getting this right:
cyclist thinks op was at fault
witness thinks op was at fault
op's initial offer to pay for damages suggests he thought he was at fault
most of the thread thinks op is at fault
consensus is insurance will think op is at fault

tony edwards thinks it's the cyclists fault

Soldato
OP

The witness is an old lady who saw him come off his bike in front of my car, I hit him so therefore I must be guilty, did she note or even see the stupid speed he was doing before he slammed on his brakes? no, did she note I was already moving on the roundabout before he even got on it? no, can I prove it? unfortunately no.

Biker claimed he saw me pull out without looking but still rode in front of me?

Soldato
tony edwards thinks it's the cyclists fault
No Im suggesting it could have been the cyclists fault. OP thinks its not his fault. Its fairly simple if the OP was fully in the roundabout before the cyclist entered its the cyclist fault.

I mean 15mph thats not pulling out speed is it. Its fully commited.

You are making it sound like its a racism thread again.

Caporegime
I can't see how the cyclist can be at fault.

Really reads like op pulled out without seeing the bike. Easily done

Can't understand how there is any challenge to that.

If a car or bike is on the roundabout you have to give way obviously. How could it go any other way but in the cyclists favour?

Especially clipping the back wheel.
Maybe, maybe if it was the front the cyclist could have hit the car. But even then.on a roundabout I still can't see how it would be the cyclists fault

Back
Top Bottom