ISIL, ISIS, Daesh discussion thread.

Caporegime
You can't choose your race, you can choose your religion, the 2 are totally different

Not necessarily, race is a social construct and some people can choose their race to some extent - for example, some Jewish people might declare "Jews aren't white" and that would be socially acceptable.

People from the middle east fought a legal battle to be recognised as "white" in the US during segregation but you'll probably find that some of the grandchildren of those groups in the USA today would be inclined to claim to be POC or BIPOC or "brown" etc... though the official US census still has them down as "white", including, amusingly, rather dark skinned Somalians!

See also various Hispanic groups with differing degrees of Spanish, black and Native American ancestry.... some rather light-skinned people claiming to be "black" or "brown" and some rather dark-skinned people claiming to be "white".

There are even Italian Americans now claiming to be "people of colour", ditto to Greeks, Turks etc...

Mixed race people too - see Sean King, not clear how black he is (if at all) tbh... supposedly has a light-skinned black father, so he claims to be "black", he could just as easily claim to be "white" but we all know which claim works to his advantage.

Lastly in this country, a few years ago, we had the first "black" female NUS leader - she was of Algerian origin (so officially white in the USA) and that's an ethnic group that has historically enslaved Subsaharan Africans for longer than Europeans have... but apparently her claiming to be "black" was fine...

re: Religion, some people can't necessarily - sure they can drop their faith privately, you can't really pretend to yourself that you believe something but their religion/religious identity - not necessarily - things like parents, communities or indeed the laws of the state you're living in can be a big barrier there.

Caporegime
This was quite revealing
people are either brainwashed or scared to appear racist to the mega woke

It's almost like it's expected for white people to be ashamed and full of guilt for the actions of a few people who have the same colour skin.
seems pretty racist but as many believe only white people can be racist

most of the crap people go by today was probably started by racists trying to cause tension or people on 4chan doing it for the lulz

Soldato
The double standards of the West rears its head yet again, this time with Myanmar, killing protestors yet barely a peep from Western leaders and definitely no cries to overthrow the Myanmar military dictatorship like they did with Assad in Syria

Soldato
The double standards of the West rears its head yet again, this time with Myanmar, killing protestors yet barely a peep from Western leaders and definitely no cries to overthrow the Myanmar military dictatorship like they did with Assad in Syria

The west is sacred of China who are to my knowledge backing the military coup, that and jungle fighting plus no interests like oil and the Suez cannel etc leed to a case of meh unfortunately.

Man of Honour

Barely a peep...other than the repeated, official and very public condemnations.

The Assad family were in power as a military dictatorship (after taking power by force) for over 50 years before the West invaded. The Myanmar military dictatorship has been in power for weeks.

The West didn't invade Syria because of what was happening inside Syria.

If the West had immediately responded to an internal conflict in Myanmar by invading it, people would have been outraged and shouting about how the neo-colonialist imperialist racist West was massacring civilians. The number of people killed would be much larger than it is now.

Soldato
The West didn't invade Syria because of what was happening inside Syria.

They used the shooting of protestors by the Syrian military as an excuse to air their proxy war in public under the guise of "Assad must go"

I'm wondering why there is no "Myanmar military must go" for doing exactly the same thing and why the West aren't arming the protestors like they did with Syria

Of course I know the answer why though because Myanmar isn't on their proxy war list and the country had no resources worth throwing money at destabilising the country

Caporegime
They used the shooting of protestors by the Syrian military as an excuse to air their proxy war in public under the guise of "Assad must go"

I'm wondering why there is no "Myanmar military must go" for doing exactly the same thing and why the West aren't arming the protestors like they did with Syria

Of course I know the answer why though because Myanmar isn't on their proxy war list and the country had no resources worth throwing money at destabilising the country

Exactly the mass killing of civilians seemed to be a redline of sorts,.

But you would have thought so even more if it was by a military led coup rather than.the elected leader of the nation.

As I said a few a10 flights wiping out military assets would probably have the army fleeing and allow a resolution of normality...

Man of Honour

An excuse. Not a reason. And look how well that turned out for everybody.

Does "the West" even have enough military resources to open up another front in an endless war?

[..] Of course I know the answer why though because Myanmar isn't on their proxy war list and the country had no resources worth throwing money at destabilising the country

[..] If the West had immediately responded to an internal conflict in Myanmar by invading it, people would have been outraged and shouting about how the neo-colonialist imperialist racist West was massacring civilians. The number of people killed would be much larger than it is now.

A lot of people "know" that the answer is always that THE WEST IS BAD, but that doesn't make it true.

Back
Top Bottom