The Fashion Thread... personal tastes, musings, and recommendations

Soldato
Not better to have some decent shoes at work and then a separate pair for the walk? That’s what I always did.

Well I did think of that, but I thought wearing my hiking boots with grey trousers would look too weird :p

And then I thought maybe hit two birds with one stone :p I need to get smart shoes regardless, as my current ones do really hurt me after a day walking in them.

Soldato
Good cushioning on hush puppies. Might want a couple of pairs of you're walking 45 mins both ways though.

Nice, that's definitely the sort of thing I'm looking for. Do you mean that they don't last very long? Or that in general, walking 1hr 30mins each day in any shoe like this is going to wear quickly?

Soldato
Nice, that's definitely the sort of thing I'm looking for. Do you mean that they don't last very long? Or that in general, walking 1hr 30mins each day in any shoe like this is going to wear quickly?

The length of time you're walking will exaggerate to a certain degree, the wear on your shoes. But also I'd say your feet will sweat as well so that'll mean stinky shoes. Maybe better to have a couple of pairs so they dry out a bit between uses?

Soldato
The length of time you're walking will exaggerate to a certain degree, the wear on your shoes. But also I'd say your feet will sweat as well so that'll mean stinky shoes. Maybe better to have a couple of pairs so they dry out a bit between uses?

Mmm yeah I see, that definitely sounds like a smart idea!

Soldato
Honesty, for walking 1hr 30mins each day, I’d get a a comfy pair of trainers or walking shoes and a nice pair of shoes to wear at work.

Actually ‘I’ would have several pairs for work, but then I’m a shoe w****!

Soldato
^^ This

And I'd be avoiding Hush Puppies and getting 2x pairs British-made Loakes to have on rotation. But again, shoe w**** (not even sure what swear this is just copying @naefeart :D)

Wanna see something even sadder? I have them in Excel to keep track of purchase date/refurb date.

Shoes Purchase Colour Style Sent for Refurb Age
Royal Brogue 10/06/2017 Black Brogue 01/01/2020 - £90 3.73
Royal Brogue 23/12/2017 Red Brogue 3.19
Gibsons 29/04/2018 Black Wet Dainite 2.84
Chukkas 26/01/2018 Brown Camel 3.10
Taylors 14/06/2017 Tan Antelope 3.72
Etons 17/07/2017 Black Loafers 3.62
Hydes 26/12/2017 Brown Army Boots 3.18
Brummel 01/07/2017 Black Wet Smooth 3.67
Overton 18/01/2020 Black Semi Brogue 1.12

All still 100%.

Soldato
^^ This

And I'd be avoiding Hush Puppies and getting 2x pairs British-made Loakes to have on rotation. But again, shoe w**** (not even sure what swear this is just copying @naefeart :D)

Wanna see something even sadder? I have them in Excel to keep track of purchase date/refurb date.

Shoes Purchase Colour Style Sent for Refurb Age
Royal Brogue 10/06/2017 Black Brogue 01/01/2020 - £90 3.73
Royal Brogue 23/12/2017 Red Brogue 3.19
Gibsons 29/04/2018 Black Wet Dainite 2.84
Chukkas 26/01/2018 Brown Camel 3.10
Taylors 14/06/2017 Tan Antelope 3.72
Etons 17/07/2017 Black Loafers 3.62
Hydes 26/12/2017 Brown Army Boots 3.18
Brummel 01/07/2017 Black Wet Smooth 3.67
Overton 18/01/2020 Black Semi Brogue 1.12

All still 100%.

A man after my own heart (I use notepad to track mine haha). I find if you have enough shoes to rotate properly and don’t let them get wet/soaked etc. They will last you forever (talking Goodyear welted shoes like Loake, Cheaney, Trickers etc).

Soldato
Bump. Leather jacket owners…

Have you DIY-restored a jacket that’s faded in a few places? If so what product did you use/recommend?

Failing that, if you’ve paid for some third party to do it for you who did you go with/recommend?

Got a black All Saints biker jacket that’s had a lot of wear and is starting to look like it could use some love.

Soldato
Bump. Leather jacket owners…

Have you DIY-restored a jacket that’s faded in a few places? If so what product did you use/recommend?

Failing that, if you’ve paid for some third party to do it for you who did you go with/recommend?

Got a black All Saints biker jacket that’s had a lot of wear and is starting to look like it could use some love.
Renapur is my go-to.

Soldato
Found a company called Buffalo who'll re-dye and condition the jacket for a good price, plus throw in a care kit when they post it back.

Also bought a few things in the All Saints sale as usual (only time their prices are reasonable) - basics and a nice grey suede bomber which is the first thing I've got from them where the XS was too small, had to send it back for an S which should hopefully be ideal...

Soldato
Bump.

Not sure how well-known it is already but found a cool site called Otrium which have unsold EOL/sale stuff from - as far as I can work out - European branches of clothing sold over here from various brands (AllSaints, Reiss, Belstaff, Zadig & Voltaire, McQ, True Religion yada yada) as well as some Euro designer brands.

Got some AllSaints stuff I missed out on in the sales a few months back for a very heavy discount which is pretty cool and some other stuff is catching my eye, although you have to know some of European sizing for things. Also they could do with better (bigger) images for the items as it's hard to find alternative pictures elsewhere when they're no longer on sale.

Soldato
Bump.

Not sure how well-known it is already but found a cool site called Otrium which have unsold EOL/sale stuff from - as far as I can work out - European branches of clothing sold over here from various brands (AllSaints, Reiss, Belstaff, Zadig & Voltaire, McQ, True Religion yada yada) as well as some Euro designer brands.

Got some AllSaints stuff I missed out on in the sales a few months back for a very heavy discount which is pretty cool and some other stuff is catching my eye, although you have to know some of European sizing for things. Also they could do with better (bigger) images for the items as it's hard to find alternative pictures elsewhere when they're no longer on sale.
Another one is Brown Bag.

Make sure to filter on your size firstly to avoid many disappointments++ :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys I'm after a really good quality Parka.

My current coat lineup consists of :

Waterproof/hiking : Patagonia Torrentshell 3L Jacket
Warm coat : Patagonia Jackson Glacier Jacket
Smart coat : Navy Wool coat

I'm after something a little longer than the Jackson Glacier (hence Parka) but really warm like that one mainly for winter.

I like the look of the Patagonia Tres 3-in-1 (https://eu.patagonia.com/gb/en/prod...388_color=NORG&cgid=mens-jackets-vests-casual) but wondered if theres anything else worth taking a look at? I see Arc'teryx get some love online but never actually seen one

Criteria :
  • Not Canada Goose or North Face
  • No big logos
  • Good technical
  • Black
  • No fur/faux fur
  • On the smarter side (i.e not with 18 pockets)

Caporegime
OP
Oh man I have fallen down a rabbit hole with mens Boots. After buying Tommy for the last few years I bought a pair of handmade Italian boots, brogue wingtips in dark tan, in a local sale and I am smitten with how they look. I am now doing research and am now looking at options from Carmina who even have custom boot options for around £450 https://www.carminashoemaker.com/mens-boots?page=1&perPage=999999&orderBy=priority,name&orderByDirection=ASC&view=1&SEARCHCRITERIA=&CATEGORIESLIST=&FILTEROPTION=&ONLYSALES=0&SEARCHTYPE=4&ONLYHIGHLIGHTS=0&BRANDSLIST=&TOPRICE=0&FILTERCUSTOMTAG=&FROMPRICE=0&INCLUDESUBCATEGORIES=2&CUSTOMTAGSSEARCHLIST=

They are not cheap, but look like they will last many years vs my off the shelf ones that usually last 1-2 years...

Guys I'm after a really good quality Parka.

My current coat lineup consists of :

Waterproof/hiking : Patagonia Torrentshell 3L Jacket
Warm coat : Patagonia Jackson Glacier Jacket
Smart coat : Navy Wool coat

I'm after something a little longer than the Jackson Glacier (hence Parka) but really warm like that one mainly for winter.

I like the look of the Patagonia Tres 3-in-1 (https://eu.patagonia.com/gb/en/prod...388_color=NORG&cgid=mens-jackets-vests-casual) but wondered if theres anything else worth taking a look at? I see Arc'teryx get some love online but never actually seen one

Criteria :
  • Not Canada Goose or North Face
  • No big logos
  • Good technical
  • Black
  • No fur/faux fur
  • On the smarter side (i.e not with 18 pockets)
I think you need to state a budget. Generally the Scandinavian brands are very good (and nit too common in the UK), with Helly Hansen, Fjallraven and Haglöfs etc being solid options.

Caporegime
OP
Well I just did a massive reorganisation and clearout of my wardrobe... it's amazing how much crap (whether ill-fitting, badly designed or just unnecessary) I had collected over the years and I now have 3 binbags to give to some local charity shop. So much wasted money on things I barely wore, ugh.

In the current sales I bought the following items:

------------------------------

Men's Colour-Block Eco Leather 'Velo' Trainers https://www.paulsmith.com/uk/men-s-colour-block-eco-leather-velo-trainers

These are amazing, if a little pricey even at the sale price, Italian-made trainers. Not only do they look very characterful in design, but the calf leather used is of extremely high quality and very supple; it's like wearing slippers. I am usually a UK size 10 but I needed to get an 11 in these. I liked the first pair so much I bought another pair as a backup for when the first pair die (and I bought hr last size 11, sorry guys).

Lacoste Men's Double-Breasted Wool Blend Pea Coat https://www.lacoste.com/gb/lacoste/men/clothing/jackets-coats/men's-double-breasted-wool-blend-pea-coat/BH7903-00.html?color=031

This is a really high quality pea coat in black wool and will last years. The fit is slim but not tight and the workmanship is very high. Yes, it's not cheap, but I can see this lasting a long, long time as my other wool jackets from Tommy and Ted Baker have also done.

I am also now really getting into leather boots and bought a nice pair of chestnut brown brogue wingtrips, but I may make a separate post on this as I have really now started to go down a rabbit hole of research on that topic. :)

Caporegime
OP
@Richdog - May not be your taste but it could be...check out Red Wing boots. I have a pair and they truly are a boot for life.
Thanks for the recommendation they look sweet dude, the only hitch is that I really want UK or European handmade boots, not USA or Asia.

The companies I am looking at so far are:

Joseph Cheaney & Sons (UK) https://www.cheaney.co.uk/men-c48/boots-c100

Carmina (Spanish) https://www.carminashoemaker.com/mens-boots

Crockett & Jones (UK) https://eu.crockettandjones.com/collections/mens-boots-collection

Trickers (UK) https://www.trickers.com/uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=boot

Back
Top Bottom