Who owns a Golf GTD / GTI / R?

Caporegime
The new Golf R is pricey - from £39.2k :eek:
That’s £1.5k more than a BMW 135, about £800 more than an Audi S3 and £2k above the Mercedes A35. VW aiming high with this one.
All about the monthlies. Those outright buying a car or using a standard HP agreement are likely single digit buyers.

Permabanned
Has anyone here got the new golf 8, whatever model.

I'm looking at getting the GTD but are these cars easily upgradable in terms of sound system/amp/subwoofer.

A branch near me has a discounted GTD in stock. I'm aware you can factory order a gtd with the Herman system but that would be a lot more.

Soldato
Had anyone with a Mk7 GTi/R test driven or bought a new Mk8 GTi/R?

Just wondering how different they are to drive as on paper they appear pretty similar given they're still using much the same engine/chassis/platform?

Soldato
Had anyone with a Mk7 GTi/R test driven or bought a new Mk8 GTi/R?

Just wondering how different they are to drive as on paper they appear pretty similar given they're still using much the same engine/chassis/platform?

MK8 Golf R runs a new rear diff setup looks to have copied the MK3 RS Focus with clutches to each wheel with torque vectoring even comes with drift mode. I would expect it handles better than the MK7.5 because of this.

I've driven a normal one and the lack of any buttons to control climate/heated seats/stereo etc is very annoying even the steering wheel controls are touch controlled rather than physical put me off getting a Golf regardless of how good the rest of the package may be.

Last edited:
Associate
I've driven a normal one and the lack of any buttons to control climate/heated seats/stereo etc is very annoying even the steering wheel controls are touch controlled rather than physical put me off getting a Golf regardless of how good the rest of the package may be.

This is what me decide to keep my current one when the PCP ends in March.

Well. That and the fact it's worth about £6k more than my final payment :)

Soldato
MK8 Golf R runs a new rear diff setup looks to have copied the MK3 RS Focus with clutches to each wheel with torque vectoring even comes with drift mode. I would expect it handles better than the MK7.5 because of this.

I think that's what's disappointed me about the Mk8. Given the minor changes if feels more like a Mk7 facelift than an entirely new model. Similar to the Mk5 to Mk6 update.

I agree that whilst the interior changes make it seem more modern it definitely feels like form over function overall.

That's why I'd wondered just how much of a difference the mk8 changes made overall and was keen to hear from folk who've tried both models in r/GTi form.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Yup, looks like it. That's what's put my parents off a Mk8 to replace their Mk6 GTI..

Associate
The prices are indeed bonkers. The GTI prices have held up. Was looking at alternatives to test drive soon over the M140i as have a soft spot for the GTI but the 7.5 PP DSG is around £21k and no signs of dropping.

Soldato
The most bonkers thing would be to buy a manual.
Having an Auto Box out of warranty scares me a little plus I quite enjoy manual and it's cheaper.
May be a touch expensive. Depends on the history and options/spec list. You can buy mine for 11k! ;)
It looks to be a immaculate example MK 7.5 which comes with practically everything on them as standard I believe? minus the upgraded sound and so on.
My part ex is £13,000 towards this which is generous so buying elsewhere doesn't make sense either.

Soldato
?? Nothing wrong with a manual

Given how far automatic transmissions have come along in terms of reliability, longevity, comfort and ease of use I can't see why anyone would buy a car with a manual gearbox.

Having an Auto Box out of warranty scares me a little plus I quite enjoy manual and it's cheaper.

In my opinion the warranty is a non issue. It's a mk7.5 Golf. The automatic gearbox isn't going to suddenly fail no more than the engine suddenly failing. BUT it appears you've made your mind and I won't say more on the subject.

P.s. I drive a 2009 car with a automatic transmission. Older than your mk7.5 Golf. It has covered 70k miles and I can't see why they'd be an issue going forward.

Soldato
All about the monthlies. Those outright buying a car or using a standard HP agreement are likely single digit buyers.
The current lease profile of the new Golf R is :

Personal lease pricing, so includes VAT. Standard car with white paint.
Initial Payment : £2,300
35 x £400
10k miles pa
36 months

So around £16k over 3 years, or about £5.3k per year.

My Mk7 Golf R cost £4k per year to lease

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom